2024 ACC Football Schedule Reveal - Jan 24th, ACC Network and ESPN2

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
J Batt wasn't the one who greenlit this game — it was Stansbury & Co. Also, I don't have a problem with doing FSU in Ireland OR alternatively Notre Dame in the Benz. I have a problem with them doing BOTH in the same season — giving up two huge marquee home games.
Batt was definitely the AD when the Ireland game was announced

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
"Announced" being the key word here...
Batt was announced as AD in October of 2022. The Ireland game was announced in March of 2023. J Batt had been full-time AD for nearly 6 full months by the time the Ireland game was announced. Do you really think had zero input in agreeing to move the game from BDS to Ireland? It’s far more likely he is the one to suggest and agree to it than it is Stansbury had anything to do with it.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I gotta be honest, nobody is thinking about whether a fan in South Florida is going to make the Tech home games, it's just not realistic, and whether the game is at Bobby Dodd vs MBS I don't see as having any negative effect on putting butts in seats, its not like MBS is a craphole or even hard to get to, its just a few minutes away from Bobby Dodd.

We'd all love to play 12 home Saturday night games a year, but imo this just comes across as finding something to whine about.
There's likely more of us flying up every game weekend than drive from Valdosta. Everybody realizes this schedule blows, but if we don't address it the ACC is just going to keep making GT their ***** like they have under the previous weak regimes. Key dodged the question because there's nothing that can be done in 2024, but there can in 2025 and beyond. The only other thing we can do is get rid of the Ga St and VMI games and replace them with P5 opponents. That would be really nice.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Tallest midget argument
Might be but when you’re trying to rebuild a fanbase everything matters. If you turn off or start making decisions to attend games for dedicated fans less attractive, numbers are going to dwindle. Fans in my situation are just a subset of the overall pie. Not surprised we’re dismissive of this on here because as a fanbase we typically lack a strategic perspective on our programs.

Quality of product on field is #1, quality of competition #2, quality of schedule is #3. We can try to act like the schedule doesn’t suck but everybody knows it does. Maybe it works out perfectly for us, who knows, but to act like we got the same deal as a “normal” team in the ACC got is just comical. Even Rev Richt chuckled about how bad our schedule is. Key rightfully switched topics.

I personally like the Ireland game because I can make it work and it’s a fun trip. The average fan cannot. It gets us good exposure, but cost us a good home game.

I prefer on campus games because college football is highly impacted by atmosphere. This year we have 2 games on campus that are interesting, both in November and one’s on a Thurs.

Bottom Line: Batt needs to work this and get GT annual home football slates that are attractive to attend.

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
I think GT should do everything it can to maximize being in prime TV slots.

Playing a week 0 game in Ireland is fantastic for viewership and helps promote our brand. Same reason I loved playing Louisville on a Friday last season and don't mind Thursday night games.

It's also why I hate the ND game at MBS this year. Nobody wants to see us play them in an NFL stadium, especially so late in the year.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
There's likely more of us flying up every game weekend than drive from Valdosta. Everybody realizes this schedule blows, but if we don't address it the ACC is just going to keep making GT their ***** like they have under the previous weak regimes. Key dodged the question because there's nothing that can be done in 2024, but there can in 2025 and beyond. The only other thing we can do is get rid of the Ga St and VMI games and replace them with P5 opponents. That would be really nice.
GT would be lucky to win 4 or 5 games if you added 2 P4 games vice VMI and GA ST. If you added Vandy and Indiana then ok but those teams draw no more interest than VMI and GA ST. Add Tenn and Penn State, where are your wins coming.

No P4 team schedules as you wish. With good reason!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So we get a bye before Duke, Miami, and NC State, and a couple extra days before uga. That actually doesn’t sound that bad. It should make us competitive.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

Playing a week 0 game in Ireland is fantastic for viewership and helps promote our brand. Same reason I loved playing Louisville on a Friday last season and don't mind Thursday night games.

It's also why I hate the ND game at MBS this year. Nobody wants to see us play them in an NFL stadium, especially so late in the year.
Particularly a red and black stadium.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So is 2024 contractually our last with MBS? The contract was originally supposed to be 2020-2024 and included the 2020 Notre Dame game, but it was played in BDS, presumably because of Covid. Hopefully it didn't rollover to 2021-2025.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

Let's check to see if this statement holds after the attendance and viewership numbers are in.

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's check to see if this statement holds after the attendance and viewership numbers are in.
Agreed, but I think we should remember the difference in a unique time slot vs. a unique location

MBS is fine once every 3-4 years, but once a season is too much

My ideal schedule would be something like:
- once every 4 years int'l / Dublin (become known for the kickoff game and tell recruits they'll get to travel across the pond if they come here at least once)
- once every 4 years in MBS in the CFA kickoff game
- on the 2 "off" years try and schedule one of our fun OOC games like we have with Colorado and Bama upcoming

This way every year we have a unique game, but it doesn't happen in the same season. In the other years we keep all home games at BDS, but give fans a fun travel opportunity

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Agreed, but I think we should remember the difference in a unique time slot vs. a unique location

MBS is fine once every 3-4 years, but once a season is too much

My ideal schedule would be something like:
- once every 4 years int'l / Dublin (become known for the kickoff game and tell recruits they'll get to travel across the pond if they come here at least once)
- once every 4 years in MBS in the CFA kickoff game
- on the 2 "off" years try and schedule one of our fun OOC games like we have with Colorado and Bama upcoming

This way every year we have a unique game, but it doesn't happen in the same season. In the other years we keep all home games at BDS, but give fans a fun travel opportunity
I don't disagree with your overall take, just the notion that the MBS game will be unpopular with most fans and that we will see poor attendance there. Outside of uga, which had unique factors, the Louisville game last year was the highest-attended "home" game of the season, despite Louisville not being a traditional rival.

Personally, if I had to choose between MBS and Ireland, I'd pick MBS, but that's mainly because I will not be able to attend the Ireland game. I'm sure those who go will have a great time, but it seems counterproductive to place a game where many traditional fans cannot attend for practical reasons. There will likely be some on this board complaining about the GT crowd size at Aviva Stadium. Regardless, TV viewership should be good and I hope the financials are very favorable to the program.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Assuming mediocrity.
So, what are you assuming for our program in 2024?

Our regular-season win record since our last "good" season (2016) is 5, 7, 3, 3, 3, 5, and 6. Just stating facts, not trying to disrespect our football program, because Key finally has it on an upward trajectory. But most unbiased observers would look at our record and trend and say, if generous, that we are a mediocre team that has some upside.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So, what are you assuming for our program in 2024?

Our regular-season win record since our last "good" season (2016) is 5, 7, 3, 3, 3, 5, and 6. Just stating facts, not trying to disrespect our football program, because Key finally has it on an upward trajectory. But most unbiased observers would look at our record and trend and say, if generous, that we are a mediocre team that has some upside.
Yeah, looking back. I'm looking forward. What are you assuming for a decade hence, which the schedule is already in place for? You can't change it on a dime.

BTW, I'm not for 4 OOC P-5s (or P-4s, whatever). I'm for leaving it as it is - Ugag, another P-5, a G-5, and a patsy. Balanced. Sane. Reasonable.