2024 ACC Football Schedule Reveal - Jan 24th, ACC Network and ESPN2

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I'm hosed, needed 11/9 to be a bye date, but instead 11/2 and 11/16 are bye dates AND 11/9 is a home date to boot!

Couldn't they have spread the bye dates out better than that?
ACC special. Crap schedule here with 2 P5 home games. All the byes are on the back end, Ireland plus Benz plus a Thurs night all home games that make it bad from a filling the stands perspective. That leaves dook on 10/5 and U on 11/5 as the only normal home games. Yikes, major league shaft here.

stingerman

Georgia Tech Fan
If we can knock off FSU in Dublin, we could possibly get to 4-0 heading to Louisville. We would be squarely in the national conversation for the first time in a long time.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
ACC special. Crap schedule here with 2 P5 home games. All the byes are on the back end, Ireland plus Benz plus a Thurs night all home games that make it bad from a filling the stands perspective. That leaves dook on 10/5 and U on 11/5 as the only normal home games. Yikes, major league shaft here.
The first bye is after the 5th game, which I really don't see a reason to have one any earlier, and the other 2 are before Miami and NC State, 2 opponents I would gladly take a bye before. NC State also has a bye that week, but Duke and Miami do not so we get an advantage there. I'd rather not have NC State the week before ugag while they are playing umass that week, but at least we have a Thursday game vs their Saturday game so we get a little extra time to prepare.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
We didn't get shafted — the FSU and ND games wouldn't have been moved off campus without approval from the GT Athletic Department (albeit the previous administration). There are legitimate reasons to be upset regarding the ACC's treatment of Tech, but unfortunately, these wounds are self-inflicted.

Also, I don't know why your standard for a "normal home game" is so rigid. A Thursday night game isn't bad or abnormal. That could end up being a ranked-on-ranked matchup in primetime with the whole nation watching. I'd rather have that game on a Thursday night on national TV than on a Saturday at 2:30 buried on ACC Network Plus Extra Pro 2.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Good grief. We can't catch a break. What a schedule. We'll have to be really good to go bowling again. Crap!

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t know how to feel about the bye weeks. On one hand, conventional wisdom would suggest that having more bye weeks is an advantage, especially when they fall before important opponents. On the other hand, we have a terrible record coming off bye weeks under Coach Key. Hopefully that changes.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
We didn't get shafted — the FSU and ND games wouldn't have been moved off campus without approval from the GT Athletic Department (albeit the previous administration). There are legitimate reasons to be upset regarding the ACC's treatment of Tech, but unfortunately, these wounds are self-inflicted.

Also, I don't know why your standard for a "normal home game" is so rigid. A Thursday night game isn't bad or abnormal. That could end up being a ranked-on-ranked matchup in primetime with the whole nation watching. I'd rather have that game on a Thursday night on national TV than on a Saturday at 2:30 buried on ACC Network Plus Extra Pro 2.
We have 6 “home” games. I live in South Florida, if I live in Atlanta maybe it’s less of a deal.

#1 is in Ireland. By the time I get home I’m back on an aircraft for game #2 which shouldn’t be much of a game

#2 Home- Ga St

#4- VMI

#6 dook. First home P5 game is game #6 clear into October. It takes 7 weeks to get a P5 home game. It’s the only home game the first 2 months of football season. Name one other P5 team in the nation that has only 1 P5 game in the first 2 months at home. Hint: ZERO

#8 is at the Benz with ND. Did that to ourselves.

#10 is 11/9 with da U.

#11 is the Thur night Nc St game.

This is not a schedule conducive to getting butts into seats at Bobby Dodd. We gave up the #1 game of the season for Ireland, #2 game of season to the Benz. 3rd or 4th best game is on Thurs.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We have 6 “home” games. I live in South Florida, if I live in Atlanta maybe it’s less of a deal.

#1 is in Ireland. By the time I get home I’m back on an aircraft for game #2 which shouldn’t be much of a game

#2 Home- Ga St

#4- VMI

#6 dook. First home P5 game is game #6 clear into October. It takes 7 weeks to get a P5 home game. It’s the only home game the first 2 months of football season. Name one other P5 team in the nation that has only 1 P5 game in the first 2 months at home. Hint: ZERO

#10 is 11/9 with da U.

This is not a schedule conducive to getting butts into seats at Bobby Dodd. We gave up the #1 game of the season for Ireland, #2 game of season to the Benz. 3rd or 4th best game is on Thurs.
As said GT chose to play in Ireland. Don’t blame the ACC. GT chose to play in MBS, don’t blame the ACC. GT didn’t have a Thursday or Friday game last year. It was our turn as only 2 of 17 teams don’t have a Thursday or Friday game this year of the ACC teams. We don’t have a Friday game. The schedule is not the ACC’s fault in any way..

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow

#2 Home- Ga St

#4- VMI

#10 is 11/9 with da U.

We're stuck paying for the sins of last administration booking games to maximize payday. It's not good but there weren't a lot of butts in seats at Bobby Dodd to begin with last year. Even the UNC homecoming game the corners were entirely empty. Maybe fewer games would drive up demand, we can pack the Dodd and have a good environment. That could build some program momentum and convince the administration to prioritize home and homes over neutral-site.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

#2 Home- Ga St

#4- VMI

#10 is 11/9 with da U.

I gotta be honest, nobody is thinking about whether a fan in South Florida is going to make the Tech home games, it's just not realistic, and whether the game is at Bobby Dodd vs MBS I don't see as having any negative effect on putting butts in seats, its not like MBS is a craphole or even hard to get to, its just a few minutes away from Bobby Dodd.

We'd all love to play 12 home Saturday night games a year, but imo this just comes across as finding something to whine about.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I gotta be honest, nobody is thinking about whether a fan in South Florida is going to make the Tech home games, it's just not realistic, and whether the game is at Bobby Dodd vs MBS I don't see as having any negative effect on putting butts in seats, its not like MBS is a craphole or even hard to get to, its just a few minutes away from Bobby Dodd.

We'd all love to play 12 home Saturday night games a year, but imo this just comes across as finding something to whine about.

I think it’s fine. Definitely a little weird to not see Clemson on there.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Was there a financial incitive to pass on having F$U @ BDS and playing in Ireland?

GoJackets17

Georgia Tech Fan
It seems like every year we as a fan base are bemoaning the "ridiculously difficult schedule" we have this upcoming year...and while I agree to an extent it's not like we're changing who we play every year that much so I never understood the surprise. Yeah the last game of the year is gonna be challenging, sure there's gonna be a Clemson or FSU in there, and probably a Notre Dame or SEC opponent in there too...because that's who we always play. If we want to be a good football team we won't get there by playing cupcakes every weekend. I'd rather watch us play top-tier opponents than beat up on the local community college. This year's schedule honestly looks pretty solid in my opinion. Go Jackets!

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It seems like every year we as a fan base are bemoaning the "ridiculously difficult schedule" we have this upcoming year...and while I agree to an extent it's not like we're changing who we play every year that much so I never understood the surprise. Yeah the last game of the year is gonna be challenging, sure there's gonna be a Clemson or FSU in there, and probably a Notre Dame or SEC opponent in there too...because that's who we always play. If we want to be a good football team we won't get there by playing cupcakes every weekend. I'd rather watch us play top-tier opponents than beat up on the local community college. This year's schedule honestly looks pretty solid in my opinion. Go Jackets!
Excellent pont. I just wish 2 mid valued ACC were in place of ND and FSU. Just being a little selfish. LOL

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Was there a financial incitive to pass on having F$U @ BDS and playing in Ireland?
Here is an interesting article about the current 5-year series of games in Ireland: https://www.forbes.com/sites/timcas...-college-football-to-ireland/?sh=ad3aa29142cd. The first two games in the series were Nebraska-Northwestern and last year was Notre Dame-Navy. These were the first two games played in Ireland since we beat BC in 2016.

Here is the key financial statement from the article:
The teams involved in the game are compensated for competing and have their travel expenses covered, with the home team typically getting enough money to offset a lost game in their home stadium in the U.S.​
It mentions that Nebraska wasn't willing to give up a home game because they wouldn't have gotten enough from the Ireland game to offset filling their 90K stadium.

I suspect that we will benefit slightly financially by moving the game. But I think J Batt is thinking bigger than short term financial gain. It puts our game against FSU as the only game on during the timeslot (although it is so early that I'm not sure that matters much). I'm sure he heard lots of positive feedback from staff and boosters from our last trip to Ireland. I'm sure he discussed this with Key and how to use this as a recruiting tool. Key was also probably onboard with the experience this provides to current players. It helps to promote Georgia Tech as more of an international brand than most US colleges.

I'm ok with playing FSU in Ireland based on the current state of our program. Hopefully in 5 or 10 years we will be in the Nebraska camp where we lose money for moving games out of Bobby Dodd, but we're not there yet.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
Here is an interesting article about the current 5-year series of games in Ireland: https://www.forbes.com/sites/timcas...-college-football-to-ireland/?sh=ad3aa29142cd. The first two games in the series were Nebraska-Northwestern and last year was Notre Dame-Navy. These were the first two games played in Ireland since we beat BC in 2016.

Here is the key financial statement from the article:
The teams involved in the game are compensated for competing and have their travel expenses covered, with the home team typically getting enough money to offset a lost game in their home stadium in the U.S.​
It mentions that Nebraska wasn't willing to give up a home game because they wouldn't have gotten enough from the Ireland game to offset filling their 90K stadium.

I suspect that we will benefit slightly financially by moving the game. But I think J Batt is thinking bigger than short term financial gain. It puts our game against FSU as the only game on during the timeslot (although it is so early that I'm not sure that matters much). I'm sure he heard lots of positive feedback from staff and boosters from our last trip to Ireland. I'm sure he discussed this with Key and how to use this as a recruiting tool. Key was also probably onboard with the experience this provides to current players. It helps to promote Georgia Tech as more of an international brand than most US colleges.

I'm ok with playing FSU in Ireland based on the current state of our program. Hopefully in 5 or 10 years we will be in the Nebraska camp where we lose money for moving games out of Bobby Dodd, but we're not there yet.
J Batt wasn't the one who greenlit this game — it was Stansbury & Co. Also, I don't have a problem with doing FSU in Ireland OR alternatively Notre Dame in the Benz. I have a problem with them doing BOTH in the same season — giving up two huge marquee home games.