2023 Coaching Carousel

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
And the beat goes on—in the ACC at Boston College

Oh daaaang ........ so's the transfer portal still open, Snow?
scared snow white GIF

Seriously though, that's a bad look to be losing a HC to be a DC. Even though it's a step up.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
"College coaching has become fundraising, NIL and recruiting your own team and transfers. There’s no time to coach football anymore."

That's actually sad and I imagine it's true even at a non-factory like BC. That said, he knew the deal when he took the gig so ...

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
That's actually sad and I imagine it's true even at a non-factory like BC. That said, he knew the deal when he took the gig so ...
It's probably even more true for us "mid-majors". The top guys like georgia, Alabama, Texas, Michigan, basically can have their pick of anybody they want and the resources to go out and get them. While a BC or GT has to work harder to allocate the money they have, and have to re-recruit their own players every year just to keep them from making a jump up.

JTS

Georgia Tech Fan
Hafley was making ~$3 million as the BC HC. NFL coordinators average ~$1 million with the highest paid coordinators making ~$3-4 million. Seems likely he would be taking a pay cut to go back to go to Green Bay.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
"College coaching has become fundraising, NIL and recruiting your own team and transfers. There’s no time to coach football anymore."

Saddest thing I’ve read in awhile. We all have seen it for years but to hear how depressing it is for coaches directly just sucks so much fun out of our beloved sport.

I can see a lot of guys that got into coaching for the love of the game now hating their jobs because a ton of their work is negotiating with kids. Sure their insane salaries are a nice bandaid but a job you don’t like is still 80% of your life.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Saddest thing I’ve read in awhile. We all have seen it for years but to hear how depressing it is for coaches directly just sucks so much fun out of our beloved sport.

I can see a lot of guys that got into coaching for the love of the game now hating their jobs because a ton of their work is negotiating with kids. Sure their insane salaries are a nice bandaid but a job you don’t like is still 80% of your life.
Someone suggested in the comments that teams will need a GM to handle a lot of this. Errin Joe is our GM - I wonder if the NIL/fundraising stuff falls under his purview.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hasn’t the landscape of college football changed dramatically over the last 4 years? Didn’t NIL start within the last 4 years, and ‘unlimited’ transfers?

Yeah Yeah Comedy GIF by CBS

Ah, you're probably right. But why you have to call me out like that, MW? Pull me to the side next time. Youre embarrassing me in front of company. :cautious:

slugboy

Staff member
Hafley going to Green Bay is just one example.
Chip Kelly tried for the Raiders OC position, and seems to be taking the Commanders job under Quinn. UCLA just moved to the B1G this season.
Having a stable coaching staff is tough

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I cannot imagine wanting to be a coach in college football any more. You re-recruit your entire roster every year as well as recruit other people's rosters and high school players. You have boosters in your face all the time telling you what they think needs to be done. The are no rules. There is virtually no enforcement and the little there is is haphazard and nonsensical. You cannot build a program anymore unless you have a ton of money and are unethical. If you can get a job that pays you enough in the NFL, I would go there too. At least there is semblance that you know and like your job.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I simply cannot imagine a job like a CFB HC. In many ways, though, it’s like a business where you can lose any or all of your staff at any time to a higher bidder or better looking opportunity. Generally, though, what keeps the wild west from pillaging business is there is generally a consensus on what jobs are worth. You don’t often move laterally and get a huge pay raise. The smaller, poorer companies who cannot pay competitively lose good talent all the time, though.
That said, had the NCAA decided to place rules around the use of NIL, to rule out school-initiated offers and collectives, and make it an issue only of an entrepreneurial player or local business opportunity, then it might have flown. As it is it’s tearing the game apart. These are 17-20 year olds being offered 6 and 7-figure payouts. I’d have gone nuts in that environment.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I simply cannot imagine a job like a CFB HC. In many ways, though, it’s like a business where you can lose any or all of your staff at any time to a higher bidder or better looking opportunity. Generally, though, what keeps the wild west from pillaging business is there is generally a consensus on what jobs are worth. You don’t often move laterally and get a huge pay raise. The smaller, poorer companies who cannot pay competitively lose good talent all the time, though.
That said, had the NCAA decided to place rules around the use of NIL, to rule out school-initiated offers and collectives, and make it an issue only of an entrepreneurial player or local business opportunity, then it might have flown. As it is it’s tearing the game apart. These are 17-20 year olds being offered 6 and 7-figure payouts. I’d have gone nuts in that environment.
Head college football coaches make millions of dollars per year. They are well compensated for the job. It’s very hard to be a successful college football HC. The ones who are get extremely well compensated. The ones who fail often get huge parting oayouts.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Head college football coaches make millions of dollars per year. They are well compensated for the job. It’s very hard to be a successful college football HC. The ones who are get extremely well compensated. The ones who fail often get huge parting oayouts.
Once again… emphatically stating the obvious. Yes, some do, but the path is much easier in the NFL these days where they have multi-year contracts, anti-tampering rules, and salary caps.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Once again… emphatically stating the obvious. Yes, some do, but the path is much easier in the NFL these days where they have multi-year contracts, anti-tampering rules, and salary caps.
There are 32 HC jobs in the NFL. 25% of NFL HCs get fired every year. Getting an NFL HC job is extremely difficult. If a coach wants to be the boss and a good % do, then college is the way to go.

NFL coaches do get a couple weeks off in July. College coaches never get a couple of weeks off.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t say it was easy to get one, however, if there is a 25% turnover each year that’s 6-10 NFL jobs a year that are open. You’d better believe the more successful HBCs will be more inclined to jump now, even for coordinator positions, which expands the opportunity to jump leagues.