2023 ACC News & Discussion

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Is it better for ESPN to have a full strength SEC (with Texas and Oklahoma) and a full strength ACC or would it be better for ESPN to have FSU and Clemson leave the ACC to join the SEC? I could be completely wrong, but it sure seems to me that it would be in ESPNs best interest for the ACC to remain as strong as possible (for TV content). My point is at some point I think ESPN will renegotiate the ACC TV deal to close the gap between the SEC/Big10. It will never be the same, but I think it will be closer. I think the sticking point will be around when does the contract get renegotiated. In my opinion, that happens sooner rather than later (ie next few years versus early 2030s).

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Let FSU leave, let them become the 7th best team in the SEC. They will love those 7-6 records. Such a dumb short sighted position. The reason FSU is FSU is because Bobby Bowden saw that the path way to prominence is by winning, and that is much easier to do in the ACC.

With the new playoff format, the ACC champ is getting in every year, and there is a good chance the number 2 school is as well.

Let them leave. I’m sure Alabama will be a great shoulder to cry on.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the FSU AD. A $30mm per year difference in annual revenue in unsubstainable for any school in the conference. Maintenance of the status quo is a slow death for all. It does need to be fixed/addressed an I don't mean by unequal distribution of current revenue. If for whatever reason we don't make the cut for big boy football let's just realign with similar schools. I don't want to be a perpetual bottom feeder in a situation where we can't compete just to say we are in P5 FB.
At this point just focus on basketball and baseball.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think basketball will have the same issues with money. But obviously you only have to hit on a few key players. I am not sure about other sports but I think baseball and women's basketball could be impacted as well. The advantage we have in baseball is consistent Top 25 and placing players in the pros.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I think basketball will have the same issues with money. But obviously you only have to hit on a few key players. I am not sure about other sports but I think baseball and women's basketball could be impacted as well. The advantage we have in baseball is consistent Top 25 and placing players in the pros.
If a school like Creighton can be a top 25 team so can GT imo. GT has a higher ceiling in basketball than football too.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Saw on twitter Sideline Sports Network that APAC (acc pac) conference is again under discussion.

My take - which is worth zero.
Would have to get the MEGA TV folks for SEC and for Big 10 in room to decide the next sorting.

The key would be how lefrt over big 12 divided. Some big 12 to big 10 and some big 12 to APAC.

But the APAC would be less some ACC to sec and big 10.

Sooner or later the tv guys will make a deal to maximize tv revenue. Their take matters.

Last edited:

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Saw on twitter Sideline Sports Network that APAC (acc pac) conference is again under discussion.

My take - which is worth zero.
Would have to get the MEGA TV folks for SEC and for Big 10 in room to decide the next sorting.

The key would be how lefrt over big 12 divided. Some big 12 to big 10 and some big 12 to APAC.

But the APAC would be less some ACC to sec and big 10.

Sooner or later the tv guys will make a deal to maximize tv revenue. Their take matters.
18 teams is probably the ideal conference size. Play 8 games against a set number of teams in football, play 17 conference games alternating home & away in basketball.

If I were the ACC and PAC, I'd move quickly to 18 teams. Have individual ACC & PAC conference championship games in football, have a combined ACC/PAC championship game after that. Can be on same weekend as Army Navy.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Is it better for ESPN to have a full strength SEC (with Texas and Oklahoma) and a full strength ACC or would it be better for ESPN to have FSU and Clemson leave the ACC to join the SEC? I could be completely wrong, but it sure seems to me that it would be in ESPNs best interest for the ACC to remain as strong as possible (for TV content). My point is at some point I think ESPN will renegotiate the ACC TV deal to close the gap between the SEC/Big10. It will never be the same, but I think it will be closer. I think the sticking point will be around when does the contract get renegotiated. In my opinion, that happens sooner rather than later (ie next few years versus early 2030s).
ESPN needs strong matchups to draw eyes away from the BIG....FSU and Clemson bring that. The ACC for the most part bring matchups that only ACC alumni care about

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This is the only way I see the PAC and ACC surviving. Even then with the ****ty pay we get, its going to be tough to see GT ever be elite in D1 without major donor help. It sucks but this is capitalism.
It would make for some interesting matchups

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think GT football survives the dominos falling in an FSU-less ACC without being one of the teams leaving.
I really don't think the big10 wouldn't take us. The academic needs there are amazingly lined up. Negotiate with us withe GOR in place nah if the ACC itself implodes you bet your *** they want access to the atlanta market where alot of their alumni live and work.

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Ye
I don’t think GT football survives the dominos falling in an FSU-less ACC without being one of the teams leaving.
yea this feels like the end is slowly nearing for us (and a lot of other teams). At this point we would need a mega donor to stay afloat. Only a b1g invite can save us, but even if we got the invite, can we find $150 mil?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
There are only so many brass hats. Everyone does not get a trophy.

We better up our metrics ( donations, ticket sales, demonstrate gt hill has ability to portal in for upper classmen) that show we are a real football school. The tv guys wont be tricked by a couple good WL years.

IF we do get the metrics going , we are good in the reorganization. ATL AND GT LEGACY ARE STRONG