2023-2024 ROSTER???

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Why is Sturdivant a lock? He was basically unplayable 2/3rds of the year until he starting playing better at the end.
I have never understood the level of adulation he gets on this site. I like him a lot as a roll player off the bench but he seems to not be very versatile, not fluid enough to be a PG and not consistent enough to be a SG.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Why is Sturdivant a lock? He was basically unplayable 2/3rds of the year until he starting playing better at the end.

Sturdivant has never been unplayable IMO. He hasn't always been what we needed at the PG spot but far from unplayable.

Anyways, the short story is that he's a 5th year PG with all his time spent on a P5 team and has some evidence to suggest high level play here. His performance the last third of the year is extremely good. Over the last 12 games (11 of which were ACC teams) Sturdivant was 12.6 ppg, 3.1 rebounds, 4.4 assist to 1.58 TOs, 1 steal, 2.3 fouls, shooting 43/35/81 on 33 mpg. Only 10 players in the ACC last year averaged 4 or more assists and only one of them was under 2 TOs iirc. And his other numbers, scoring and shooting, were competitive with most of that group as well (with a couple of obvious exceptions).

Could that be beaten? Absolutely. Do I think it's likely to happen next year? Not really. And I think if, for example, Abram does make a good freshman to sophomore jump then it very likely first leads to time with them both playing before it actively takes away time from Sturdivant. And outside of those two, I just don't see the rest of the roster having good enough passing to justify a "by committee" approach that some have suggested.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Updated Roster:
PG - Sturdivant/Abram
SG- Kelly*/Terry/Forrest
SF - Coleman/Reeves
PF - Moore/Gapare
C - Claude/ Dowuona
*Entered Draft, no agent.

Looks competitive! One more Big would be nice, too. Start countdown to tip off.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Blue Cain headed to the mutts

International Cat Day Pizza GIF by Storyful

der-k

Georgia Tech Fan
I’ve peppered various thread with kind of high level, maybe interesting but not actually explanatory or predictive type stat-y posts and figured … why stop now?

Here’s 2pt% in conference play from last season for the core 11 (obviously, for most transfers, that’s not the ACC): Claude 51.3, (acc average 50.6), Reeves 50.6, Douwuona 46.9, Sturdivant 46.7, Coleman 44.6, Moore 44.1, Kelly 43.3, Terry 40.5, Abram 38.4, Forrest 36.7, Gapare 26.5

3pt% (leaving out people with <10 att): Terry 42.1, Kelly 38.4, (acc average 34.8), Forrest 34.2, Abram 32.8, Coleman 31.6, Sturdivant 30.3, Gapare 20.7, Reeves 19.7, Moore 17.4

Ft%: Kelly 93.5, Sturdivant 75.8, (acc average 75.0), Forrest 75.0, Reeves 74.4, Terry 74.2, Claude 73.3, Coleman 67.6, Abram 66.7, Moore 66.0, Gapare 63.3, Dowuona 50.0

Effective FG% (bonus credit for threes being worth more than twos): Kelly 52.1, Claude 51.9, Terry 51.6, (acc average 51.2), Dowuona 46.9, Coleman 46.5, Sturdivant 46.1, Forrest 43.1, Abram 43.1, Moore 40.5, Reeves 40.5, Gapare 28.6

True Shooting Percentage (ropes in free throws too, the “best” of these five numbers for shooting efficiency): Claude 56.9, Kelly 54.7, (acc average 54.2), Terry 53.9, Forrest 50.3, Sturdivant 49.0, Coleman 48.6, Dowuona 47.5, Moore 45.7, Reeves 45.1, Abram 44.3, Gapare 35.6

We were last in conference play last year in four of these last year (all but three point percentage) and portend to do the same, absent growth, workload, and system changes (all of which will happen). To be clear - shooting percentages are the aftermath of tools and skills and process and luck and other things - but I do want to tamp down some of the 23-24 optimism. I like a lot of our moves, but there’s a lot that CDS and the rest of the staff and these kids will need to do to get us where we want to be.
Fingers crossed!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’ve peppered various thread with kind of high level, maybe interesting but not actually explanatory or predictive type stat-y posts and figured … why stop now?

Here’s 2pt% in conference play from last season for the core 11 (obviously, for most transfers, that’s not the ACC): Claude 51.3, (acc average 50.6), Reeves 50.6, Douwuona 46.9, Sturdivant 46.7, Coleman 44.6, Moore 44.1, Kelly 43.3, Terry 40.5, Abram 38.4, Forrest 36.7, Gapare 26.5

3pt% (leaving out people with <10 att): Terry 42.1, Kelly 38.4, (acc average 34.8), Forrest 34.2, Abram 32.8, Coleman 31.6, Sturdivant 30.3, Gapare 20.7, Reeves 19.7, Moore 17.4

Ft%: Kelly 93.5, Sturdivant 75.8, (acc average 75.0), Forrest 75.0, Reeves 74.4, Terry 74.2, Claude 73.3, Coleman 67.6, Abram 66.7, Moore 66.0, Gapare 63.3, Dowuona 50.0

Effective FG% (bonus credit for threes being worth more than twos): Kelly 52.1, Claude 51.9, Terry 51.6, (acc average 51.2), Dowuona 46.9, Coleman 46.5, Sturdivant 46.1, Forrest 43.1, Abram 43.1, Moore 40.5, Reeves 40.5, Gapare 28.6

True Shooting Percentage (ropes in free throws too, the “best” of these five numbers for shooting efficiency): Claude 56.9, Kelly 54.7, (acc average 54.2), Terry 53.9, Forrest 50.3, Sturdivant 49.0, Coleman 48.6, Dowuona 47.5, Moore 45.7, Reeves 45.1, Abram 44.3, Gapare 35.6

We were last in conference play last year in four of these last year (all but three point percentage) and portend to do the same, absent growth, workload, and system changes (all of which will happen). To be clear - shooting percentages are the aftermath of tools and skills and process and luck and other things - but I do want to tamp down some of the 23-24 optimism. I like a lot of our moves, but there’s a lot that CDS and the rest of the staff and these kids will need to do to get us where we want to be.
Fingers crossed!
Ordinarily I am not greatly influenced by stats but these strike me as being really important, assuming methodology and data input.

Thanks for the hard work.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
If Claude can add that 3 point shot to his arsenal this offseason, he's going to be a really tough matchup. I'm guessing Jalon Moore is working on it a bit too - he took a lot of them last season. Mostly open looks too, he just needs to knock them down. Teams were basically daring him to take 3s last season.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
If Claude can add that 3 point shot to his arsenal this offseason, he's going to be a really tough matchup. I'm guessing Jalon Moore is working on it a bit too - he took a lot of them last season. Mostly open looks too, he just needs to knock them down. Teams were basically daring him to take 3s last season.
I really think Claude can. He has a knack for getting to the line (175 attempts last year 80 more than anyone last year!!!) and shot 72%. He should at least be able to hit some catch and shoot stuff.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Damn. The Jalon Moore news is VERY discouraging after what appeared to be a healthy 1st season Portal for CDS. Hopefully no others slipped into Portal, and Kelly slides back into team - concerned that Moore, Coleman and Kelly talked about growing together; hope we don’t lose another (NBA or 11th hour Portal).

Current Roster:
PG - Sturdivant/Abram
SG- Kelly*/Terry/Forrest
SF - Coleman/Reeves
PF - Gapare (need a Portal player here, or Ndongo)
C - Claude/ Dowuona

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Damn. The Jalon Moore news is VERY discouraging after what appeared to be a healthy 1st season Portal for CDS. Hopefully no others slipped into Portal, and Kelly slides back into team - concerned that Moore, Coleman and Kelly talked about growing together; hope we don’t lose another (NBA or 11th hour Portal).

Current Roster:
PG - Sturdivant/Abram
SG- Kelly*/Terry/Forrest
SF - Coleman/Reeves
PF - Gapare (need a Portal player here, or Ndongo)
C - Claude/ Dowuona

I'm not sure if is a coincidence the two lowest three point shooters of players that received an average of more than 20 points per game have entered the portal. Sounds to me like coach places a premium on outside shooters in his 4 out offense.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you’re right. I REALLY like Moore and his potential which may not have been truly hitting on all cylinders until his Sr year.
If I’m in Vegas, my money is on scenario that CDS prob loved Moore’s potential, but also said, based on stats, Moore’s role would prob be, rebounds, put backs, rim runs, and lockdown defender - make a living off the shooters’ misses. I’m guessing Moore wants to have license to shoot - I would too; he has potential - and with a limited role, Moore couldn’t get to his NBA dream as a thinner 6’7” SF that doesn’t have proven/respected jump shot. Big loss at this moment. Maybe CDS has someone new in mind to help fill role.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think you’re right. I REALLY like Moore and his potential which may not have been truly hitting on all cylinders until his Sr year.
If I’m in Vegas, my money is on scenario that CDS prob loved Moore’s potential, but also said, based on stats, Moore’s role would prob be, rebounds, put backs, rim runs, and lockdown defender - make a living off the shooters’ misses. I’m guessing Moore wants to have license to shoot - I would too; he has potential - and with a limited role, Moore couldn’t get to his NBA dream as a thinner 6’7” SF that doesn’t have proven/respected jump shot. Big loss at this moment. Maybe CDS has someone new in mind to help fill role.
I’m reminded of Ursula in Little Mermaid - “Life is full of tough choices.”

CDS may have a plan behind all of this that gets revealed sooner than later. We’ll see. So far his chess moves seem to be paying off so hard to tell yet if this is a fumble or a master level move.