2023-2024 ROSTER???

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
Its easy to try a pick and role play with a big man but it seems if the BM can't shoot outside10 ft, the def will just drop off and clutter the lane.Do we have a BM that can do this now?
Haven’t had a BM that could hit from outside since Lammers.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Stoudamire talks about discipline, attention to detail and not skipping steps. Doesn't sound like a free system to me.
I think those concepts are at a higher level than the offensive system, they are at a personal/player development level. Knowing your role vs knowing where you’re supposed to be on every play.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think those concepts are at a higher level than the offensive system, they are at a personal/player development level. Knowing your role vs knowing where you’re supposed to be on every play.

The truth is, in terms of play and how much "freedom" a player has within Stoudamire's system, won't be known until we see the guys on the floor. What's interesting is there's plenty of articles, interviews, etc. that gives us clues to what he wants. Not sure why some want to refute what's already been said by Stoudamire and the players. Some of the points I've gleaned from several interviews on what we'll see from this team:

1. High defensive effort and discipline. It seems the cornerstone of our team will be predicated on how we play on the defensive end.
2. Mental and physical toughness + High Effort. Can't let being down or a bad shooting night affect other areas of game or your teammates, and the intensity of how you play is always in a player's control.
3. Spacing the floor to help with ball movement and attacking the other team's defense.
4. Flexibility for players to create within the system. In addition to the article I linked in a previous post, there's an interview where Stoudamire talks about how GT, at the moment, doesn't have many players on the roster that can create their own shot, which IMO, means he's giving guys the greenlight to take their defender on if the situation is right...and if the player has the ability to do it. That's where players can "express themselves".
5. Team culture and communication. Guys buying into the staff (so far it seems they have), supporting teammates, and being honest with where things stand. I've read several articles where players have had their eyes open with how forthcoming and unvarnished Stoudamire has been with his critiques for them.

It all sounds good, but everything sounds nice during preseason. I'm excited to see how it all plays out.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The truth is, in terms of play and how much "freedom" a player has within Stoudamire's system, won't be known until we see the guys on the floor. What's interesting is there's plenty of articles, interviews, etc. that gives us clues to what he wants. Not sure why some want to refute what's already been said by Stoudamire and the players. Some of the points I've gleaned from several interviews on what we'll see from this team:

1. High defensive effort and discipline. It seems the cornerstone of our team will be predicated on how we play on the defensive end.
2. Mental and physical toughness + High Effort. Can't let being down or a bad shooting night affect other areas of game or your teammates, and the intensity of how you play is always in a player's control.
3. Spacing the floor to help with ball movement and attacking the other team's defense.
4. Flexibility for players to create within the system. In addition to the article I linked in a previous post, there's an interview where Stoudamire talks about how GT, at the moment, doesn't have many players on the roster that can create their own shot, which IMO, means he's giving guys the greenlight to take their defender on if the situation is right...and if the player has the ability to do it. That's where players can "express themselves".
5. Team culture and communication. Guys buying into the staff (so far it seems they have), supporting teammates, and being honest with where things stand. I've read several articles where players have had their eyes open with how forthcoming and unvarnished Stoudamire has been with his critiques for them.

It all sounds good, but everything sounds nice during preseason. I'm excited to see how it all plays out.
It's been clear for a number of years GT did not have players who could take their guy off the dribble and get to the rim or pass to the open guy. Jose could but besides him that skill set has been a big limitation on our offense. I would expect CDS to bring in guys with that skill set going forward.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It's been clear for a number of years GT did not have players who could take their guy off the dribble and get to the rim or pass to the open guy. Jose could but besides him that skill set has been a big limitation on our offense. I would expect CDS to bring in guys with that skill set going forward.

Yup, and if you think about Stoudamire's emphasis on spacing, it's one aspect that will help in taking defenders off the dribble. A lot easier to take someone on when your teammate isn't occupying space next to you along with his defender.

slugboy

Staff member
I will know his scheme after I watch the first real game. I got no clue, aside from knowing he likes guards

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I’m going to formally request we not use BM in place of big man. BM means something else…:LOL:

Proven Innocent Judge GIF by FOX TV

If a poster wants to use 'BM', and thereby open themselves to wanton and sophomoric dad-jokes, then so be it.