2022 Spring Football Practice

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
yeah uga’s worst team in a while and we didn’t cross the 50 vs clemson until garbage time. still not a very physically dominant line and they struggled in a lot of games, and were awful in the passing game
And you complain about current fans and their opinion of CGC. This was literally a top 10 year in the history of GT Football…. But hey, downplay it if you like…

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying we've had great OL like we had in 2014, but the 2016 line was pretty decent. We were 9-4 in 2016 and beat uga, in case you're forgetting...
yeah uga’s worst team in a while and we didn’t cross the 50 vs clemson until garbage time. still not a very physically dominant line and they struggled in a lot of games, and were awful in the passing game
Yeah @JacketFan137, things are so amazingly wonderful right now I can’t even imagine reverting back to those sucky, miserable 9-4 seasons like we used to have occasionally.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
So let me make sure I understand what you are saying. We went 9-4 that year, we scored over 30 points in 8 of the games (which is 1 more than CGC has had in 3 years (IIRC), and 3 of the losses were to top 20 teams (again, IIRC), but since Georgia was bad, that proves the OL was just as bad then as it is now? Did I get it right?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Newbie? Maybe around these parts but I have been attending Tech Football games since Eddie McAshan was lacing up his cleats and playing on the Flats. I post on 4 other Tech boards, and have been doing so for quite a while. And there are the same type of posters on each board. The self righteous cheerleaders, the super skeptics, and those that are somewhere in the middle. ForensicBuzz posts opinions too (masquerading as fact) but with an assload of holier than thou added.
"Eddie McAshan. Now, there is a name I have not heard in a long time.

JacketFan137

Banned
How does saying we’ve had poor OL for 7 seasons get turned into something totally different
i dared to criticize any aspect of the paul johnson era. anything but constant paul johnson praise means i love collins and everything he does. the concept of being critical of johnson and collins at the same time is too difficult for some to grasp

JacketFan137

Banned
Ranking our best seasons based on polls doesn’t make any sense either.
yeah why would i use where we finished the season at relative to the rest of college football. i should just rank the team based on vibes.

was definitely one of my favorite seasons and certainly a top 10 season of my lifetime. also by far the best season i’ve had since i got my season tickets in 2015

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
yeah why would i use where we finished the season at relative to the rest of college football. i should just rank the team based on vibes.

was definitely one of my favorite seasons and certainly a top 10 season of my lifetime. also by far the best season i’ve had since i got my season tickets in 2015
There are more teams these days and more smaller programs are given presence in the rankings. The rankings simply aren't the same as the 90's. We finished 7-5 in 1997, didn't beat a team that finished ranked, didn't beat a team with more than 7 wins, didn't beat UGA, and we still somehow finished in the top 25. That is impossible in this day and age. We need 10 wins to crack the polls now, maybe 9 if one of them is a big win.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
How does saying we’ve had poor OL for 7 seasons get turned into something totally different
The ol and the db they looked lost in a kind of a tight area of the field! Sometimes it looked like the ol players were only blocking the one guy and not going to another if the dl was going to another hole leaving that one ol man standing in a crouch not going after anyone else!

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I realize that few things in life are either/or, and don’t know if this has been researched or quantified or not, but I wonder whether most fans would rather win, style of offense be damned, or play a particular style of offense (“big boy” football) against teams that may be better funded, better coached, more attractive to rated recruits and just more committed overall to “winning” and have a program that cannot seem to turn the corner. Somebody, perhaps the big donors, chose the latter, but I wonder if that represents the “druthers” of the majority of Tech fans.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I realize that few things in life are either/or, and don’t know if this has been researched or quantified or not, but I wonder whether most fans would rather win, style of offense be damned, or play a particular style of offense (“big boy” football) against teams that may be better funded, better coached, more attractive to rated recruits and just more committed overall to “winning” and have a program that cannot seem to turn the corner. Somebody, perhaps the big donors, chose the latter, but I wonder if that represents the “druthers” of the majority of Tech fans.
That is an interesting question. In the current state of NIL, etc., I certainly don't think Tech can compete to be a top 10 program consistently. What I do feel is achievable is a mostly top 25 program , with the occasional "off year", and the occasional top 10-15 year. IMO, our problems in the last 10-15 years have been building quality depth. That has been exacerbated by the current popularity of the transfer portal. We rarely have improved our team through the portal, it has pretty much been a wash.
We need a very well coached team, with the ability to recruit and coach up in all phases of the game. We need smart, disciplined, dialed in, players- not distracted by
"sideshows" in practice or in games. And we don't just need a few of these players on the team. We need the majority , and some leaders , too.
With the above conditions, I think we can run a "conventional" RPO offense , and an attacking, ball hawking defense, with very good special teams. Can we do all that with the current staff ? Based on the first 3 years performance , NO WAY. Maybe this year will be a surprise and we will start performing better. I am hopeful, but not optimistic.