2022 Spring Football Practice

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Where do you guys get this crap? There's no indication that the players or recruits are against him. Making up **** again. The fans just want to win and aren't happy with the performance.
Well, it is pretty much the result of winning 9 games over 3 years with historic losses to Clemson, The Citadel, and Northern Illinois as the cherries on top with a dash of ending the past year outscored 100-0 to Notre Dame and UGA. Coach Collins and his staff have one year to get this ship turned around, it will not be easy. Their fate is largely in the hands of a revamped offensive line and a talented but turnover prone quarterback. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
lack of consistency has long been an issue here with all of our coaches
I don't know about that. Chan was pretty consistent. He would win about 6 games or so, upset a couple of teams that was highly ranked, ruin a season for someone like Miami and then lose to UGA. The others? The same can be said for most programs that are either not in the elite football factory class consistently churning out 9 and 10 win seasons like clockwork or bottom feeders like Vanderbilt and Tulane plodding through poor seasons for a few bucks while bending over "Thank you sir, may I have another" Even Dodd generally had good years and a few bad years sprinkled in. It happens.

slugboy

Staff member
Are kids still allowed to play 4 games in a season and not lose a year of eligibility?
Yes, but I’m not sure how much that matters for a QB.
For a line or front 7 position where size helps more, that extra year helps the player. For a skill position, shelving them for a year might make the portal more attractive

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, it is pretty much the result of winning 9 games over 3 years with historic losses to Clemson, The Citadel, and Northern Illinois as the cherries on top with a dash of ending the past year outscored 100-0 to Notre Dame and UGA. Coach Collins and his staff have one year to get this ship turned around, it will not be easy. Their fate is largely in the hands of a revamped offensive line and a talented but turnover prone quarterback. IIWII
I have no issue with the fans being pissed (although I do take issue with the way it's being expressed some times), but there's no indication he's lost the players or the recruits. That's the crap I'm talking about.

Bottom line, he has to win. I think we're all in agreement about that.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I don't doubt Pyron is looking the part, but potentially burning a year of eligibility for your QB of the future when you have someone else who should be a serviceable backup and already has experience seems like a bad idea. But like 4Shot said though, maybe the future isn't a large consideration at the moment.
There’s no guarantee Pyron burns his redshirt even if he is dubbed #2 on the depth chart. He can still play in 4 games and retain the redshirt status. You don’t really want your backup QB playing in more than 4 games anyway, unless you’re winning blowout games. Which, I don’t think anyone is really expecting to happen. In the portal era, if Pyron is looking the part I’d say it’s a much better strategy to show him the light and that he’s the future than it is to redshirt him anyway. Best case scenario is that Sims has everything click and takes off into early draft status and Pyron moves into the starting role next year. The chances of that happening are pretty low though, and Sims still has 3 years of eligibility. Straight up redshirting Pyron like we did Griffin last year provides very little to no benefit in the current environment.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
There’s no guarantee Pyron burns his redshirt even if he is dubbed #2 on the depth chart. He can still play in 4 games and retain the redshirt status. You don’t really want your backup QB playing in more than 4 games anyway, unless you’re winning blowout games. Which, I don’t think anyone is really expecting to happen. In the portal era, if Pyron is looking the part I’d say it’s a much better strategy to show him the light and that he’s the future than it is to redshirt him anyway. Best case scenario is that Sims has everything click and takes off into early draft status and Pyron moves into the starting role next year. The chances of that happening are pretty low though, and Sims still has 3 years of eligibility. Straight up redshirting Pyron like we did Griffin last year provides very little to no benefit in the current environment.
The way our backup qb earns playing time is if our starting QB is injured or not able to play. 2020, Sims played in 10 big games. 2021, not as many. I hope Sims stays healthy and has a great season. Pyron gets some meaningful minutes and does well but keeps his year of eligibility (whether through Sims staying healthy or the guy from Akron being more than adequate). I think Sims is going to have a huge year, and next year have an even bigger one. Then Pyron steps in as a RS Sophomore and competes for national honors.

Hey, I'm entitled to be optimistic. It's March damn it!!!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Switching gears, what is this goofy tailgate party Tech is planning in the North End Zone during the Spring Game? Am I reading this wrong?
Sounds like the Spring Game isn’t actually going to be a game. Just a theme party with some guys in football uniforms for extra color and pageantry.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don't doubt Pyron is looking the part, but potentially burning a year of eligibility for your QB of the future when you have someone else who should be a serviceable backup and already has experience seems like a bad idea. But like 4Shot said though, maybe the future isn't a large consideration at the moment.
Can play 4 games without burning it.