2022 Season

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Too bad they weren't in attendance (needed in order to qualify for Heat Sheet).
Huff was up to 97 on Friday and Maxwell was 97+ per Wiley on the broadcasts.

Would be nice if the Rusty C displayed the speeds on TV like the other parks and broadcasts do and did..... Is that a park by park thing?
They were getting the trackman information in the booths as they were braggin on Mannelly with his sick spin rates.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tremendously affordable option to go and see GT play. Even season tickets are crazy cheap compared to other programs that ask for $1000-5000+ donation on top of the ticket prices.
Rusty C is a great venue and the field and skyline is tough to beat!
Wish we could make more games.

Great venue and beautiful field. Sunday was absolutely perfect. Great value as @eokerholm said.

Some notes.
  • $5 game day covered parking right across the street.
  • I had a flight out on Sunday and they let me bring a back pack in - checked thoroughly. Probably won't allow when we play the miscreants from uGag. Or at least I wouldn't. But for civilized fan bases, probably.
  • I brought in a water bottle that I refilled.
  • Bought beer for $10 a can (only Sunday when it was warmer).. Had to go with IPA since they ran out of my Yueng-Ling favorite. IPA or $10 water (lite) beer.
  • Everyone was really chilled. Could move around seats after things started so some people were moving every couple innings.
  • I've got two tickets available, check out the 2022 Ticket Exchange post. I don't think I'll be going to another game this year. Some have already been spoken for and I'll hold till a couple days before the games so that player parents or others I know can ask for them. Super easy to transfer to cell phone # or email.
  • Talking with some GT students, I think there will be more stuff available as far as pitch speed and maybe spin this weekend. Connectivity issue that was getting fixed.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Through 5 games... team on pace for 99 stolen bases (9 so far). I like that.

Last year... 30 SBs.

Last night we saw the Chandler / KP double steal. Chandler to third and then on wild throw he went home and KP to 3rd. I don't think Chandler would have been caught even with a good throw but we'll never know.

When was the last time we pulled off a double steal?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well this surprised me. First background. Eric sorenson writes a eclectic column for D1 Baseball called "Off The Top Of My Head" during the season. Fun read and you never know what you'll get. So here's who he said would go to Omaha this year before the season started last week.
1645755366734.png

And here's what he had today: https://d1baseball.com/columns/off-the-top-of-my-head-weekend-two-preview/
1645755425698.png

I've got no idea how we became the only ACC team in there after no mention last week. And two close games with Wright State and a loss to Georgia Southern. Maybe he's just trying to piss off other fan bases and rotating through top teams. If I get the chance or someone else does, he should be asked. Maybe, he thinks we have a good offense (duh), the D can be fixed and our pitching is deep enough that we will have enough stars rise to the top? None of this matters of course since it's all what happens on the field. But his opinion gives me hope ....... Lucy has the football there for the kicking.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Well this surprised me. First background. Eric sorenson writes a eclectic column for D1 Baseball called "Off The Top Of My Head" during the season. Fun read and you never know what you'll get. So here's who he said would go to Omaha this year before the season started last week.
View attachment 12144
And here's what he had today: https://d1baseball.com/columns/off-the-top-of-my-head-weekend-two-preview/
View attachment 12145

I've got no idea how we became the only ACC team in there after no mention last week. And two close games with Wright State and a loss to Georgia Southern. Maybe he's just trying to piss off other fan bases and rotating through top teams. If I get the chance or someone else does, he should be asked. Maybe, he thinks we have a good offense (duh), the D can be fixed and our pitching is deep enough that we will have enough stars rise to the top? None of this matters of course since it's all what happens on the field. But his opinion gives me hope ....... Lucy has the football there for the kicking.
I noticed that as well Nuke, and was probably as surprised as you were. Clearly recent performance is a significant contributor for some (Bryant, anyone?). Long Beach State had a significant jump as well after their series win against Mississippi State. Not sure how we may have snuck in there. I wasn't at all impressed with our performance against Wright State. We took care of business, but that's about all we did. Wright State has a really good program, and their next series is @Oklahoma State. Rooting for WSU to take the series at OSU! We just need to get better and keep winning games!

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
The Georgia series will be a great barometer. They have very good pitching. Our strength is clearly our offense (at least the first 7 and hopefully not an injury keeping a starter out), first 2 weekend starters when they have control, mediocre defense and shaky relief pitching. The biggest surprise to me is the infield defense. GT is normally very good there but struggling so far this year.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Wiley has a YouTube/Podcast Ground Rules where he interviews players in the hitting lab. Looks to be good.

Huff and Maxwell episode 1

Compton and Tres in episode 2

A definite listen for diehard GT baseball fans. Lots of tidbits from all of the student athletes with some info I've never heard before. If you don't mind continuing to share the links of future episodes that would be great.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
(sorry, thread hygiene boo boo)
Super fun that they have a "player thing" with this! Thank you Cole!!!

Ninja also made a Tshirt for it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I had us at 8-1 going into the UGA series 😅

Yup, I had us at 6.6 wins going into the uGag series and 7.15 after last night. Hope to stay wrong.

But it's baseball. I never ever would have bet on NC State losing back to back to Campbell and Northeastern. That is a kick in the nuts and what can happen even to good teams.

So when we lose again, flush and go on. The next game isn't far.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
10 wins through 12 games = Great
3 for 3 on weekend series wins incl 2 sweeps = Great
Transfers & freshman [pitchers] making a big impact = Great
Winning series v UGA = Great (regional host implications)

Great start to 2022. 10 Weekend series left ... all v conference opponents.

If you're reading this (by mistake) & haven't considered following the baseball team this year, I'd recommend tuning in every now and then. I can't & won't guarantee anything EXCEPT more wins than losses & a highly entertaining team to watch play.

They have all the makings of a very special group that might just power through the unexplained glass ceiling we've experienced in past.