2022 Season

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Screenshot_20220211-160430.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Huff - emphasis on first pitch strikes.

Colin - leader on team. Talked about hitting high in the order and having recovered from injury.

Danny Hall - loved that he talked about using a lot of pitchers out of the gate to see what we have. Also came back to need for defense to improve several times.
  • Pitchers
    • As previously said, Huff and Maxwell to be weekend starters. Said Maxwell in better shape and better command, light years ahead of where he was. And staying within himself and under control. Showing signs of breakout year. Damn I hope so.
    • Then Roedig, Grissom and Finateri as reported.
    • Finateri pushing everyone - throws a lot of strikes. Good three pitches - fastball, slider and changeup. Really fought with Parada in high pitch ABs. 13 pitch Parada got a double, next time 12 pitch was a SO.
    • Smith and Siegel set to pitch significant innings. Another FR that he didn't name.
    • Bartnicki best shape and pitching of his life.
    • Mannelly - pitching really well
    • Crawford and McNamee got recognition.
  • Simpson - wouldn't say where in lineup. Said could hit first or ninth. Fastest player he has seen in a long time as previously said. Really hoped he played SS well.
  • Anderson at 2nd and Compton at 3rd would be starters today. Both have improved defensively and needed to improve. Need to continue to improve.
  • Reid and DeLeo will both be in lineup - one with be RF other DH.
  • Tres - one of the leaders on team.
I'm ready for the season to start!!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
D1 ranked the top 150 outfielders; Tres #34, Reid #80 & DeLeo #89. Pretty damn good. No wonder CDH says Reid and DeLeo will play every game. We have power without question.

Colin isn't in the top 150 given his low BA (.229). He'll need to do a lot better than last year https://data.ramblinwreck.com/stats/baseball/2021/teamcume.htm.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I went [hastily] through D1 Baseball's conference previews to see how many teams Ga Tech has on schedule projected to go to NCAA tournament. My math comes up with 9 opponents (26 games). For what that's worth. Here are those opponents:

ACC: NC State, FSU, Duke, Miami, UVA, Clemson
Non-Conf: UGA, Wright St, Jackson St

9 ACC teams projected... we don't play Louisville, ND, or ourselves.

"Feels" like a low number (26 of 55 games). Not a VERY difficult schedule?

I'm willing to bet UNC figures out their unproven pitching & will be in postseason mix.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
D1 ranked the top 150 outfielders; Tres #34, Reid #80 & DeLeo #89. Pretty damn good. No wonder CDH says Reid and DeLeo will play every game. We have power without question.

Colin isn't in the top 150 given his low BA (.229). He'll need to do a lot better than last year https://data.ramblinwreck.com/stats/baseball/2021/teamcume.htm.

Looking at last year, our offense was pretty good with an average of 6.7 runs per game. Third in the ACC, so still a bit of room for improvement. In the interviews, Colin talked about breaking GT offensive records (of course Danny played it down since we have had some great offenses in the past).

1644798138951.png

I wanted to figure out how many runs a game were based on the offensive team versus defensive team. Finding out the number of unearned runs the opposing team gives up is a stat I couldn't find. But from Warren Nolan's site I can see the number of errors the opposing team averaged. (So the data must be there somewhere.) Since an error resulted in about .77 runs on average in 2021, I could get an estimate of the runs from other teams errors. Nothing earthshaking, but here it is.

1644798265065.png

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
putting the JACK in Jackson....

You can definitely see that Bartnicki is in the best shape of his career at Tech. Hopefully that translates to improved consistency on the mound. If so, would that put him in line for the closer role? Or would Mannelly be the more likely candidate? Although Finateri being a big strike thrower with command of three different pitches would also be an intriguing choice. Personally, I am a big fan of my closer not issuing walks which has been a problem for us recently.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You can definitely see that Bartnicki is in the best shape of his career at Tech. Hopefully that translates to improved consistency on the mound. If so, would that put him in line for the closer role? Or would Mannelly be the more likely candidate? Although Finateri being a big strike thrower with command of three different pitches would also be an intriguing choice. Personally, I am a big fan of my closer not issuing walks which has been a problem for us recently.

Bartnicki is likely to be a beast given his attitude on the mound in the past.

I think we need to think more like the MLB: starter, mid-reliever and closer since we have so many arms. Especially early in the season and let them build toward the post-season where they can go longer when hot. (I know, I dream and Lucy has the football placed just waiting for me.)

And while I always want the guy on the mound to throw strikes and not give up walks, probably most important for strikes for closer, then starter and then mid-reliever?