2022 Season

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
10 wins through 12 games = Great
3 for 3 on weekend series wins incl 2 sweeps = Great
Transfers & freshman [pitchers] making a big impact = Great
Winning series v UGA = Great (regional host implications)

Great start to 2022. 10 Weekend series left ... all v conference opponents.

If you're reading this (by mistake) & haven't considered following the baseball team this year, I'd recommend tuning in every now and then. I can't & won't guarantee anything EXCEPT more wins than losses & a highly entertaining team to watch play.

They have all the makings of a very special group that might just power through the unexplained glass ceiling we've experienced in past.
Oh, you’ve done it now Fred.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Great seeing 2 of top 3 are Jackets. But I must admit I'm a little confused about the actual stat here. Says "top contact hitters" but these are simply the hit leaders in D1. Anybody interpret this differently? Not sure I'm familiar with a "contact hitter" metric anyway.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great seeing 2 of top 3 are Jackets. But I must admit I'm a little confused about the actual stat here. Says "top contact hitters" but these are simply the hit leaders in D1. Anybody interpret this differently? Not sure I'm familiar with a "contact hitter" metric anyway.

I don't know either but stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before,

bigbob

Georgia Tech Fan
It is early, but I think this team is pretty much like the ones the past few years. I don't see that our new pitching coach has changes much about our pitching.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
It is early, but I think this team is pretty much like the ones the past few years. I don't see that our new pitching coach has changes much about our pitching.
It is early. GT is now 10-3 and ranked in most, if not all, of the college baseball polls. Just beat UGA in a series, if you haven't been paying attention.

And I'm not sure that you've been paying attention to who is pitching well versus who is not, if you say that our current pitching coach hasn't changed much about our pitching.

I challenge you, since you made the original comment, to show me why you believe that our current pitching staff is not better than those in the past. and why you believe our current pitching coach has not improved our pitching since he's been here.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Agree to disagree.

Echoing Cincy.
I challenge you, since you made the original comment, to show me why you believe that our current pitching staff is not better than those in the past. and why you believe our current pitching coach has not improved our pitching since he's been here.

Last year Archer, Hurter, Crawford all posted stats and metrics that were improved with working directly with DBo. documented improvement on seasoned guys here for some time, that all of a sudden had quantifiable improvement. That is the pitching coach.

This year Mannelly has improved spin and other stuff. Huff is LIGHTS OUT, confident and our Friday night guy with tremendous stuff and improvements. Maxwell threw his most controlled and confident game of his career AND as a starter, as he's always been a closer. Medich got his first start last night in 1.5 years here. Wouldn't be starting if they didn't get better.

Can't NOT contribute that to the behind the scenes and consistent work of the staff with DBO.
Same with our offense this year with their work with Ramsey.
(commentators have talked about both an the impact they've had)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree to disagree.

Echoing Cincy.

Last year Archer, Hurter, Crawford all posted stats and metrics that were improved with working directly with DBo. documented improvement on seasoned guys here for some time, that all of a sudden had quantifiable improvement. That is the pitching coach.

This year Mannelly has improved spin and other stuff. Huff is LIGHTS OUT, confident and our Friday night guy with tremendous stuff and improvements. Maxwell threw his most controlled and confident game of his career AND as a starter, as he's always been a closer. Medich got his first start last night in 1.5 years here. Wouldn't be starting if they didn't get better.

Can't NOT contribute that to the behind the scenes and consistent work of the staff with DBO.
Same with our offense this year with their work with Ramsey.
(commentators have talked about both an the impact they've had)
I'm going to defend @bigbob here. All he said was this team (here early in season) looks similar to years past. There are some numbers to back that up.

Ga Tech is in bottom 4 in ACC in these pitching stats:
ERA (12th)
Walks (13th)
HBP (14th)
BA Against (11th)

I've watched nearly every game. With the eyeballs... the pitching looks better. But those numbers don't lie. If the optimists (me included) are correct, the pitching will continue to improve & those stats will move closer to middle of pack.

By the way... saying this team looks same as recent years shouldn't be a negative thing. Those teams have been very good!

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I agree with FredJacket. Need big, big improvements in all four (ERA, Walks, HBP, and BA) this season.

Use of computer-generated analyses of pitching mechanics, measurements of spin rates, etc. etc. doesn’t mean diddly if there are no improvements in the four above-listed, actual in-game pitching performance parameters.

We will see how it goes for the rest of the season. I continue to be hopeful …

bigbob

Georgia Tech Fan
As I said it is early, but right now we rank 12th in the league in pitching. This is where we finished last season. In 2019 we were 8th. We are a good team, but I don't see us going to Florida or Vanderbilt for a regional and winning. Hopefully, I am completely wrong. I enjoy the feedback that some of you are giving me.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with FredJacket. Need big, big improvements in all four (ERA, Walks, HBP, and BA) this season.

Use of computer-generated analyses of pitching mechanics, measurements of spin rates, etc. etc. doesn’t mean diddly if there are no improvements in the four above-listed, actual in-game pitching performance parameters.

We will see how it goes for the rest of the season. I continue to be hopeful …
Interesting the wording you used. "Need big, big improvement..."

My points here are not directly aimed at you @GTRambler, but more generally to the idea of what should be a reasonable expectation. DBo's hiring & the technology that coincided with it set some expectations. I get feeling others' expectations are quite different from mine. We're a [disjointed] 3 years in. Sports fans seem to have some arbitrary notion that "year 3" is where any coaching change should see a positive "jump" in results. What's magic about 3rd year? I only want/expect some improvement over time... & steady. I don't expect us to be a top team pitching-wise... yet. Someday... maybe. So far, we seem to be headed in right direction. DBo & the lab will show results. I'm confident in that.

That said... College baseball's postseason tournament is unforgiving. The best teams don't always prevail in regionals & supers. There's a reason MLB, NHL, NBA have 7 game series in their playoffs. The better teams tend to prevail in those longer series. Often times after losing 2 of (first) 3 games... which sends college baseball teams home.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
It's still early and I'm impressed by what we've seen from Huff, Maxwell, Medich, and some of the freshmen. That said, I was hoping to see more development this year with production on the field from a large group of our pitchers that haven't shown it yet. These midweek games have been a little disappointing with 2 losses already (and could've easily been a 3rd last week). Outside of Presbyterian, our offense has been pretty down in the midweek vs the weekends. It's these kind of losses that make the difference between hosting a regional and going to Vanderbilt in June.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well, one “big, big improvement” I’d love to see this season would be to knock down our team’s ERA by one full run under last year’s team ERA of 5.71.

Is that a reasonable expectation? I dunno … but I’d love to see it, for sure! A team ERA of 4.7 should get us into the top 5 of the ACC.

Here are last year’s (2021) team stats:

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing to consider when you use stats as a barometer comparison within the ACC is the level of competition. There are some teams in our conference that haven't played anybody yet and they have been able to pad both their pitching and hitting stats. We have played some pretty decent teams and fared pretty well. Keep in mind the wealth of talent in our own state that allows GA Southern, Mercer, Ga State, etc. to field very competitive teams. The same can't be said about the midweek teams up in Virginia, Indiana, etc. Once we get into the meat of the conference schedule I believe you will see us compare more favorably with the rest of the teams in both pitching and hitting.

ScGold

Banned
There is plenty of time left for Danny to do what he does so gracefully and that is fubar the team before or during regionals.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is plenty of time left for Danny to do what he does so gracefully and that is fubar the team before or during regionals.

Since there's life there's hope.

The pitching is being managed differently and that has been our Achilles Heal. Having and giving so many guys a chance so allow us to improve a lot more during the season than past year's. But I've been here too many times, I bought this license plate this week just to remind me. I'll put it on the rental car that I drive to Omaha to watch us in the CWS this year.

1646999374485.png