2022 Schedule??

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I was getting some plans together for homecoming next year with old friends/roommates and don't see that there is even a tentative football schedule after September.

I believe I saw at some point we are playing Duke for homecoming next year but can't verify from a quick search. Any idea what weekend it will be?

I guess this is an ACC thing, but it seems like we would at least have a schedule of the week we are playing even if not the day (i.e. Thursday vs. Saturday games). Looks like all other conferences have their full schedules up (again game times are TBA but dates are up).

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I was getting some plans together for homecoming next year with old friends/roommates and don't see that there is even a tentative football schedule after September.

I believe I saw at some point we are playing Duke for homecoming next year but can't verify from a quick search. Any idea what weekend it will be?

I guess this is an ACC thing, but it seems like we would at least have a schedule of the week we are playing even if not the day (i.e. Thursday vs. Saturday games). Looks like all other conferences have their full schedules up (again game times are TBA but dates are up).
Tech has been the closest home game to the end of October. The ACC has been scheduling Duke and UNC around our mid- terms for obvious reasons. Johnson wanted to schedule an FCS team that week, but didn't receive the support. So, the last week and next to last week of October is a good bet.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I knew they released the OOC schedule for next year, but I did not realize they had scheduled the Clemson game as well to start the season on Labor Day of all things. Woowee I hope Clemson’s offense is still inept, or at least hope we get their struggles of a new OC.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Here's what's known so far

So we only have 5 games at BDS this year and one at MBS. Three of those six are in September. So in October and November combined we have 3 home games and 6 away games. Yikes...

We could very easily be 1-2 going into that stretch. That doesn't bode well. Really puts a lot of pressure on us to beat one of Clemson or Ole Miss.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Here's what's known so far

So we only have 5 games at BDS this year and one at MBS. Three of those six are in September. So in October and November combined we have 3 home games and 6 away games. Yikes...

We could very easily be 1-2 going into that stretch. That doesn't bode well. Really puts a lot of pressure on us to beat one of Clemson or Ole Miss.
So being wildly positive non rigorous calcs follow

So we win 1 in sept- check = 1
Then win the 3 remaining home games - check = 3.
-Then win half the 6 remaining away games - check = 3.
7 is winner winner chicken dinner.

SO ASSUME WE are IN good karma year , I really hope the away game wins are FSU, Pitt, Vt.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
In years past, this would not look like a tough schedule. It should be that the only for sure loss would be to the defending national champions. And in years past, as a fan, I always believed there was a chance of an upset. Next year, let's get Clemson to overlook Tech and have a miserable opening performance against a well coached Tech team. End the year with an upset over the dawgs.

How's that for wildly positive?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Our 2022 schedule is not hard at all. Outside of UGA, it’s an average schedule with a ton of mediocrity. But we’ll make it hard. We probably have more experience coming back than anyone, including a 3rd year starter at QB. Normally we would be picked to win the Coastal in this position, but with the track record of our head coach everyone knows we’ll play below our ability.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the offense will be improved with Long. The one big caveat is if he and Key can figure out how to maximize the OL.

On defense, I remain skeptical. You can't convince me Collins didn't have significant input into the defensive schemes. So I just don't see a lot of difference on that front.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
In years past, this would not look like a tough schedule. It should be that the only for sure loss would be to the defending national champions. And in years past, as a fan, I always believed there was a chance of an upset. Next year, let's get Clemson to overlook Tech and have a miserable opening performance against a well coached Tech team. End the year with an upset over the dawgs.

How's that for wildly positive?
Well any time you only win 3 games a schedule looks hard. There are a lot of coaching changes in the ACC this year so like you I don't see the schedule being that bad. But then again I sure everyone will play is looking at their schedule and have us as a win. So I guess you could say everyone will be overlooking us.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Well any time you only win 3 games a schedule looks hard. There are a lot of coaching changes in the ACC this year so like you I don't see the schedule being that bad. But then again I sure everyone will play is looking at their schedule and have us as a win. So I guess you could say everyone will be overlooking us.
Precisely... this shouldn’t be a terribly difficult schedule. However, I think you’d be hard pressed to find any P5 schedule in the nation that wouldn’t look pretty daunting to us right now. To turn this thing around, we’re going to have to beat some people we “shouldn’t” beat... so let’s just say 2022 is FULL of opportunity!

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Precisely... this shouldn’t be a terribly difficult schedule. However, I think you’d be hard pressed to find any P5 schedule in the nation that wouldn’t look pretty daunting to us right now. To turn this thing around, we’re going to have to beat some people we “shouldn’t” beat... so let’s just say 2022 is FULL of opportunity!
It likely depends upon whether we are focusing on culture or football this year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Our 2022 schedule is not hard at all. Outside of UGA, it’s an average schedule with a ton of mediocrity. But we’ll make it hard. We probably have more experience coming back than anyone, including a 3rd year starter at QB. Normally we would be picked to win the Coastal in this position, but with the track record of our head coach everyone knows we’ll play below our ability.
I think I agree.

I say “I think” because we don’t really know what these teams will be like this year. Everyone thought UNC was going to be tough last year; they weren’t. Clemson, same thing. Then NCST and Wake? Pitt? They were decent and more challenging.

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow
This is a tough schedule for us. 3 automatic losses. 1 gimme. Have to go 5-3 in the others to get bowl eligible.

The UCF game could be the game that makes or breaks CGC.

Maybe we catch Clemson coming out of the gates slow. Or Kiffin has trouble replacing Corral.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It’s the same story we face every year. It is a tough schedule if you are trying to get to 9 wins. It’s not that bad if you are trying to get to 6. We aren’t beating Clemson, UGA or Ole Miss. We probably aren’t beating UCF or Pitt. The rest we have a reasonable chance.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s the same story we face every year. It is a tough schedule if you are trying to get to 9 wins. It’s not that bad if you are trying to get to 6. We aren’t beating Clemson, UGA or Ole Miss. We probably aren’t beating UCF or Pitt. The rest we have a reasonable chance.
I actually think we have just as much a chance to beat Clemson and Kiffen as we do VT or UCF. None of these teams outside of UGA are top 5 good. The problem hasn’t been the other team. Our problem has been ourselves. If Long can provide anything close to a scheme and not just random plays and our QB plays like he did in his game 1 against FSU then we are competitive. I put no faith in our coach so I expect to struggle but in no world is this schedule hard.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
NO excuses this yr.This is not a hard schedule if you play decent football. THAT is the problem.At this point------we have a weak offense and a BAD def and certainly STs are not an asset .It's up to GC to change that.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I actually think we have just as much a chance to beat Clemson and Kiffen as we do VT or UCF. None of these teams outside of UGA are top 5 good. The problem hasn’t been the other team. Our problem has been ourselves. If Long can provide anything close to a scheme and not just random plays and our QB plays like he did in his game 1 against FSU then we are competitive. I put no faith in our coach so I expect to struggle but in no world is this schedule hard.
Since w are near the bottom in spending in acc , our schedule is always hard.
But to find common ground i will agree our schedule is not nearly as hard as last year.

Last year our mantra was this is the year that our best players on defense were 1,2,3 and they were finally going to shutdown the passing. NFL here we come. Well we totally sucked with deep coversge. What really sucked is we ran into some serious quarterbacks that made us look terrible.

6 qbs were in top 30.
(Uga 3 , Pitt 9, Mia 11, Unc 21, Uva 23, Nd 27)
They passed for 21,000 yds last year - thats an average of 290 yds per game. When they played gt only Unc had a lower than average. game. There ol s manhandled us - they racked up huge yardage on us while we averaged around 200 yds per game.

(So ND is off the schedule but they are replaced by ole miss who could have a solid transfer guy from USC. Thats way easier.

Adding FSU as an away game will likely be a tougher win than BC.

Of the 5 remaining very good qbs we faced from last year only 2 are back. Assuming we moderately improve the ol and qb play plus these 3 teams revert to the mean, we have a good chance against them. Clearly easier.

There are numerous coaching changes by our opponents so we are not alone in coaching turmoil. Thats a big help.

Last year we played a bunch of teams that were way better than their average. We were embarrased.

We are getting more maturity and our opponents are not as strong , so we need to make a big jump.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
maybe. Personally, I don’t think we’re seeing the beginning of the demise for Clemson and I don’t think we’re seeing the start of consistent 9-10 win teams out of Ole Miss.
No objection that UGA looks like the only legit top 5 team on our schedule, but I expect Clemson to look more like the Clemson of recent. They were still a 10-3 team last year and two of those losses were to a very good Pitt team and an excellent UGA team. They might be top5 when it’s all said and done. We benefitted from getting possibly their worst performance of the season... I don’t expect to get that again.
I expect a bit of regression from Ole Miss so hopefully that is an opportunity for an early statement / confidence win but obviously they showed the ability for some solid football last year.
As I see it;
Not winnable: UGA (pains me to say)
Little chance: Clemson
Better chance, big upset: Ole Miss, Pitt. These are two similar teams... both are losing stellar QB play but obviously have a lot of great pieces in place. Neither has been a consistent 9-10 game winner and I think both are equally likely to regress to 6 wins or crank out 10 win seasons. I’d love to get Ole Miss... this will look like a monster win and be a huge confidence builder even if Ole Miss doesn’t look impressive down the stretch.
Coin flip: FSU,Miami, UVA, VT, UNC, UCF. We should be competitive in all of these. Many of these teams have staff changes if not entirely new staff. This group is where we make or break this season.
Wins (not that I’m taking for granted): Duke, W Carolina
And one point you made that I can’t agree with more or emphasize enough... WHO we are playing is really the least of our concerns right now, and that’s the scary part.