2022 MLB Draft

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Correlation to success? Without looking... I'm willing to bet GaTech has a significant imbalance between position players & pitchers drafted.

Yup, but not as much as the MLB draft. How about that for an answer?

2021 MLB draft 20 rounds (no undrafted included) had 59% of the positions being pitcher. I also added average per position since I was interested. SS was really high since that seems to be where HS non-pitching studs are assigned.
1641336019263.png

GT has had 44% of their players drafted from the first (Jimmie Carroll!) in 1965 to 2021. Comparing the two (59% to 44%) implicitly assumes that the distribution for MLB has remained the same as 2021 over the years which isn't right. But close enough for what y'all pay.
1641336288559.png

Oh yeah, here's the stats for our three drafted in 2021.
1641336678692.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yup, but not as much as the MLB draft. How about that for an answer?

2021 MLB draft 20 rounds (no undrafted included) had 59% of the positions being pitcher. I also added average per position since I was interested. SS was really high since that seems to be where HS non-pitching studs are assigned.
View attachment 11940

GT has had 44% of their players drafted from the first (Jimmie Carroll!) in 1965 to 2021. Comparing the two (59% to 44%) implicitly assumes that the distribution for MLB has remained the same as 2021 over the years which isn't right. But close enough for what y'all pay.
View attachment 11941

Oh yeah, here's the stats for our three drafted in 2021.
View attachment 11942
Interesting... how hard would it be to do the CDH era? I just don't recall that many pitchers in more recent years. 2 out of 5 seems high to me.

I'll double what I've been paying. 😉

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Double up. Under Hall (94) it's been 46%. Not just quantity but also quality. Here are the pitchers drafted under Hall. Buck Farmer has the best career so far. Maybe X will do really well too, buts it's way too soon and the road very difficult for pitchers.

I think the current set of pitchers we have will be the best we have had if we were to look back in 10 years. How's that for gold colored glasses?
YearPlayer NameMLB Years
2021​
Brant Hurter(blank)
2019​
Amos Willingham(blank)
Connor Thomas(blank)
Xzavion Curry(blank)
2017​
Zac Ryan(blank)
2016​
Brandon Gold(blank)
Matthew Gorst(blank)
2014​
Dusty Isaacs(blank)
Josh Heddinger(blank)
Matthew Grimes(blank)
Sam Clay2021-2021
2013​
Buck Farmer2014-2021
Matthew Grimes(blank)
2012​
Buck Farmer2014-2021
Luke Bard2018-2020
2011​
Jake Esch2016-2017
Jed Bradley2016-2016
Kevin Jacob(blank)
Mark Pope(blank)
2010​
Andrew Robinson(blank)
Brandon Cumpton2013-2018
Deck McGuire2017-2018
Kevin Jacob(blank)
2009​
Zach Von Tersch(blank)
2008​
Brad Rulon(blank)
Chris Hicks(blank)
David Duncan(blank)
Eddie Burns(blank)
2007​
David Duncan(blank)
Eddie Burns(blank)
Jared Hyatt(blank)
Ryan Turner(blank)
Tim Ladd(blank)
2006​
Blake Wood2010-2018
John Goodman(blank)
Lee Hyde(blank)
Tim Gustafson(blank)
2005​
Jason Neighborgall(blank)
2004​
Aaron Walker(blank)
Andrew Kown(blank)
Brian Burks(blank)
Micah Owings2007-2012
Nick Wagner(blank)
2003​
Chris Goodman(blank)
Jeff Watchko(blank)
Kyle Bakker(blank)
2002​
Chris Goodman(blank)
Jeff Watchko(blank)
2001​
Brian Sager(blank)
Kevin Cameron2007-2009
Rhett Parrott(blank)
Steve Kelly(blank)
2000​
Cory Vance2002-2003
1999​
Chuck Crowder(blank)
Simon Young(blank)
1998​
Chuck Crowder(blank)
Jase Wrigley(blank)
LJ Yankosky(blank)
Scott Prather(blank)
1997​
Dave Elder2002-2003
Kris Wilson2000-2006
Richard Thieme(blank)
1996​
Geoff Duncan(blank)
LJ Yankosky(blank)
1995​
Matt Saier(blank)
1994​
Al Gogolin(blank)
Brad Rigby1997-2000
Buck Hall(blank)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, this part of the draft happened a few days ago. Never followed it before but the names sound like the roster of a TdF cycling team. Are these covered under the MLB labor agreement? I'd think so.

Interesting discussion of high picks that didn't make it; but nothing is guaranteed in baseball except for no crying. Top picks not making it have to happen for the unknowns to surprise everyone.

Thanks to @Buzzbomb for posting on the 2022 ATL thread.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
MLB Draft Prospect 2022.... Parada. Rank 23
Same Link as Nuke's Draft article... just scroll down.

View attachment 12103
View attachment 12104

Where Parada goes will be based on his defense. I *think* that Kevin is real good at blocking the plate. But hasn't been as good at throwing out runners. How much that is him and how much is the pitcher I can't say. But the steal rate is pretty high against us is my memory from when I looked at this last year.

Regardless, he'll go this year for $Ms. And deservedly so.

What I posted elsewhere which is really 2022 draft:

Remember when I said the draft was really important to next year's class and roster? Even more so now.

Looks like the MLB negotiations are looking at reducing the size of the minors and permanently reducing the draft t to 20 rounds. Who knows when the lockout is going to be ended and where the numbers are going to be.

www.cbssports.com

MLB lockout: League requests ability to eliminate hundreds of minor-league roster spots, per report

This was reportedly part of MLB's latest proposal in CBA negotiations
www.cbssports.com

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
not directly draft-related, but at least the season is happening, in full.

I also think its an important draft issue. No MLB baseball would have meant no draft.

Guess from D1 and major league scouts is 20 rounds. More than enough rounds for the high dollar offers.

I don't see 9-10 of our guys getting drafted given the extremely high backlog and competition, but we'll see. It will depend on how they play this year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Update from D1 Baseball after watching the GT/VT series. https://d1baseball.com/prospects/the-scouting-trail-week-four-hokies-yellow-jackets-more/

• Parada - #13 originally could make it up to top 5 picks.
  • Maxwell - #106 originally. They were nice but compared him to a 9th rounder. Also pointed out that he was so inconsistent and had such a high walk rate that he wasn't effective. Said he was a reliever. I agree of course, but only if it's not a high importance relief. Throw strikes consistently that are hard to hit and I'll change my opinion.
  • 1647552129926.png
  • Tres - #142 originally. Smooth and lots of praise. Mid- second day of draft so he is moving up.
  • Chandler top 10 round prospect. Duh. Good hitting, elite speed, smooth defense. Does it all.
  • Jenk - great hitting. Siad not a natural first baseman but I disagree. He's damn good there.
  • Huff - good but not as good as week 3.
  • Cody & Dawson Brown - not eligible this year of course but got kudos.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Anyone know the past year actual percentages? I've done analysis and seen a bunch of times and think the percentage of 4 year college has gone up. There should be articles on this when we get closer to draft time.

COVID should increase 2yr and 4 yr even more with reduced draft.

Still, 1/3 of the top talent doesn't make it to the college game. Not good or bad, IIWII. College is and should not be for all.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Didn't know where to put this. Article about more injuries this year and draft implications.

But the point I wanted to bring out is the idea that there are more pitcher injuries due to higher velo and spin. It may be confirmation bias on my part, but its all the more reason to keep pitch count down and rotate pitchers more till we get to post season.

I have lots of thoughts about the draft, but that's later.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's who I have as draft eligible this year, any corrections would be appreciated. Far right column has Baseball Cube data. But a player may have played and then got a medical redshirt.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
up to #3 in PG's Draft
Told ya he was making $Lot Money!!

Teams are different but slot values probably the same as last year. Good for him!
1651188216794.png

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
D1 Mid Season Top 150 (4/13/2022)

3 Kevin
88 Tres
102 Maxwell
107 Compton
128 Chandler

Big jumps for some from Feb's List of top 250

THWG

Helluva Engineer
D1 Mid Season Top 150 (4/13/2022)

3 Kevin
88 Tres
102 Maxwell
107 Compton
128 Chandler

Big jumps for some from Feb's List of top 250
It's interesting that Jenkins isn't on there.