2022-23 Season

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Essentially what I expected. I agree that I would have taken 10-2 if given that option 4 weeks ago, but overall I still see this team as similar to, but probably marginally lower than last years team. The pitching is better, the team has more depth, but the lineup is a step backwards. Not that there was much room for improvement, so I don't mean that as a major negative.
Last year's team underachieved. If this year's group matches them... will be a good debate if that's overachieving.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Essentially what I expected. I agree that I would have taken 10-2 if given that option 4 weeks ago, but overall I still see this team as similar to, but probably marginally lower than last years team. The pitching is better, the team has more depth, but the lineup is a step backwards. Not that there was much room for improvement, so I don't mean that as a major negative.
Well, we also have 3 starters out on the offense right now. Although it was nice to see Compton back today. Hopefully Campbell and Jackson follow soon.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Last year's team underachieved. If this year's group matches them... will be a good debate if that's overachieving.
You think? I won't argue too much, but I will say that last year's team only had two or three pitchers who could be considered better than "really bad". Considering that, I think they did pretty good. Now, if you want to say that they should have had more pitchers than that who were decent, then I might can agree. This team has more pitching depth.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
At risk of asking dumbest question of the year... where can I see/find play-by-play breakdown of past games?

Wasn't that available in past years?
I haven't been able to find it the last two seasons. It was available prior to that. In fact, I just now easily found play-by-play for the 2021 season, but I can't find it for the games this past weekend. We are moving backwards in that regard!

Squints

Helluva Engineer
At risk of asking dumbest question of the year... where can I see/find play-by-play breakdown of past games?

Wasn't that available in past years?

You can navigate to the play by play you're looking for from either of those spots.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow

You can navigate to the play by play you're looking for from either of those spots.
Thanks Squints! That helps a bunch. I just assumed that the D1 Baseball boxscore would take me to the Ramblinwreck.com box score.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Where we rank after 3 weekends of baseball (13 games). Stats are "per game" unless otherwise noted.

Category: Stat / Conf rank / National Rank

OFFENSE
Scoring: 9.8 / 6th / 19th
Batting Avg: .299 / 9th / 67th
OBP: .429 / 7th / 33rd
Slugging %: .548 / 7th / 26th
Doubles: 2.08 / 11th / 88th
Triples: 0.46 / 3rd / 27th
Home Runs: 1.85 / 26th / 5th
Hit by Pitch (total): 30 / 1st / 11th (Rubenstein is 3rd nationally here)
SAC bunts (total): 2 / 9th / 197th (this has to improve or we're doomed)
SAC flies (total): 8 / 1st / 30th
SBs: 0.92 / 9th / 181st
[What strikes me in this set of offensive categories... the ACC is putting up so offense. (ie. we're a top 20 scoring team; but middle of pack in the ACC).]

PITCHING
ERA: 6.16 / 14th / 168th
WHIP: 1.62 / 13th / 161st
Hits Allowed per 9IP: 9.47 / 13th / 144th
K to Walk Ratio: 2.09 / 13th / 112th
K per 9IP: 10.7 / 8th / 40th
Walks per 9IP: 5.13 / 13th / 180th
Hit Batters (total): 14 / 7th / 163rd
[Needs improvement... and pretty quickly]

DEFENSE
DPs: 1.23 / 1st / 6th (oddly free passes 'helps' here)
Fielding %: .979 / 6th / 49th
[The defense has been a bright spot. Many...me included... were concerned about consistent defense as an issue. So far.. so good]

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Where we rank after 3 weekends of baseball (13 games). Stats are "per game" unless otherwise noted.

Category: Stat / Conf rank / National Rank

OFFENSE
Scoring: 9.8 / 6th / 19th
Batting Avg: .299 / 9th / 67th
OBP: .429 / 7th / 33rd
Slugging %: .548 / 7th / 26th
Doubles: 2.08 / 11th / 88th
Triples: 0.46 / 3rd / 27th
Home Runs: 1.85 / 26th / 5th
Hit by Pitch (total): 30 / 1st / 11th (Rubenstein is 3rd nationally here)
SAC bunts (total): 2 / 9th / 197th (this has to improve or we're doomed)
SAC flies (total): 8 / 1st / 30th
SBs: 0.92 / 9th / 181st
[What strikes me in this set of offensive categories... the ACC is putting up so offense. (ie. we're a top 20 scoring team; but middle of pack in the ACC).]

PITCHING
ERA: 6.16 / 14th / 168th
WHIP: 1.62 / 13th / 161st
Hits Allowed per 9IP: 9.47 / 13th / 144th
K to Walk Ratio: 2.09 / 13th / 112th
K per 9IP: 10.7 / 8th / 40th
Walks per 9IP: 5.13 / 13th / 180th
Hit Batters (total): 14 / 7th / 163rd
[Needs improvement... and pretty quickly]

DEFENSE
DPs: 1.23 / 1st / 6th (oddly free passes 'helps' here)
Fielding %: .979 / 6th / 49th
[The defense has been a bright spot. Many...me included... were concerned about consistent defense as an issue. So far.. so good]
I think the defensive numbers are particularly good given the fact we have been playing three backups since the opening weekend. You could actually say all four infield positions if Finley continues to play first. One thing I want to point out is how impressive Romano has been turning the double play. He has a strong accurate arm there that we didn't have last year. Plus I can think of at least three double plays that should have been turned had the shortstop fielded the ball cleanly.

Killerbees🐝

Georgia Tech Fan
The left side of the INF had 3 errors prior to the injuries. Since then we have had 2! Yet some of you want to keep pointing fingers to the young infield vs giving them the props they deserve. What have they done wrong? Hell, Senese has been perfect thus far and hitting well. I sure hope we go undefeated once all the injured players are back.

Killerbees🐝

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the defensive numbers are particularly good given the fact we have been playing three backups since the opening weekend. You could actually say all four infield positions if Finley continues to play first. One thing I want to point out is how impressive Romano has been turning the double play. He has a strong accurate arm there that we didn't have last year. Plus I can think of at least three double plays that should have been turned had the shortstop fielded the ball cleanly.
Romano has been awesome. Great defender! With that said he hasn’t had the assist on every DP so let’s give some credit to the others. I did some quick research on the top college 10 SS for this year. All have between 1-3 errors so far, which reading through these threads is unacceptable. If you are always going to expect perfection you are always going to be disappointed.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
The left side of the INF had 3 errors prior to the injuries. Since then we have had 2! Yet some of you want to keep pointing fingers to the young infield vs giving them the props they deserve. What have they done wrong? Hell, Senese has been perfect thus far and hitting well. I sure hope we go undefeated once all the injured players are back.
I think Senese has been outstanding and is making it tough to take him out of the lineup when we get healed up. The silver lining of the injuries is it has given some young guys some chances to get experience, given the coaching staff an opportunity to see what they can do in real game experience & build confidence in them, and given the players a chance to see and evaluate where they are & what they need to work on. All that and we are still 11-2. As others have said, sans the pitching there is a lot to like, and some bright spots even in pitching …….

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think Senese has been outstanding and is making it tough to take him out of the lineup when we get healed up. The silver lining of the injuries is it has given some young guys some chances to get experience, given the coaching staff an opportunity to see what they can do in real game experience & build confidence in them, and given the players a chance to see and evaluate where they are & what they need to work on. All that and we are still 11-2. As others have said, sans the pitching there is a lot to like, and some bright spots even in pitching …….
This series (Notre Dame) will tell us a lot.

if we are really good, we won't lose a game to them (might only go 2-0 because of weather)

If we just so-so, we'll go 2-1

If we are lousy we'll go 1-2

I don't want to talk about the possibility of 0-3

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
This series (Notre Dame) will tell us a lot.

if we are really good, we won't lose a game to them (might only go 2-0 because of weather)

If we just so-so, we'll go 2-1

If we are lousy we'll go 1-2

I don't want to talk about the possibility of 0-3
I just can’t see us going 3-0 against any of our ACC brethren at this point due to 1) it’s just hard to sweep a conference series and 2) haven’t seen the consistency necessary to sweep a conference series. Maybe that will change as/if we continue to improve, but it’s hard to picture. If we are going to do it however, this seems like a good weekend 😊

That said, we did it twice last year ….. unexpectedly against VT in the first series of the year and not so unexpectedly (maybe) at Pitt in the last series of the year

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I just can’t see us going 3-0 against any of our ACC brethren at this point due to 1) it’s just hard to sweep a conference series and 2) haven’t seen the consistency necessary to sweep a conference series. Maybe that will change as/if we continue to improve, but it’s hard to picture. If we are going to do it however, this seems like a good weekend 😊

That said, we did it twice last year ….. unexpectedly against VT in the first series of the year and not so unexpectedly (maybe) at Pitt in the last series of the year
Now with the DH on Saturday I have to agree. Unless we get an outstanding start from one of our starters (like 7-8 IP), our solid bullpen can only pitch one game for us this weekend. This means the best I now hope for is 2-1....