2022-23 Season

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Television Schedule, updates:
-March 5: Uga-ly vs. GT @CoolRay Field in Gwinnett(CHOA; have to go). $EC Net work. 3:00 p.m. Sunday.
-March 14: GT @ Auburn. $EC Network. 7:00 p.m. Tuesday.
-April 1: GT @ Boston College. 4:00 p.m. ACC Network. Saturday.
-April 18: Ga. St. @ GT. 8:00 p.m. ACC Network. Tuesday.
-May 6: GT @ Pitt. 6:00 p.m. ACC Network. Saturday.
-May 13: GT @ Duke. 1:00 p.m. ACC Network. Saturday.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok... 1/6th of the season is behind us. Certainly, the easiest 9 game stretch on the schedule.

How's everyone doing? What's your assessment?

The older I get... the less I know. I think we're lucky to be undefeated. Can't site any specific lucky thing... but it's baseball & winning 9 in a row isn't THAT simple.

The way the team got here has been "interesting"... I've grown accustomed to giving up runs in the late innings (upping the pucker factor). This year's version does that in the early innings. It's all well & good when W's are on the back end but you can't keep doing that.

Things get serious on Friday. Here's to the best start we could have (record-wise) &....

TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!! :beercheers:

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Ok... 1/6th of the season is behind us. Certainly, the easiest 9 game stretch on the schedule.

The older I get... the less I know. I think we're lucky to be undefeated. Can't site any specific lucky thing... but it's baseball & winning 9 in a row isn't THAT simple.

The way the team got here has been "interesting"... I've grown accustomed to giving up runs in the late innings (upping the pucker factor). This year's version does that in the early innings. It's all well & good when W's are on the back end but you can't keep doing that.

Things get serious on Friday. Here's to the best start we could have (record-wise) &....

Really, 1/6 of the season is over already??? It just started. Damn, I need another drink.

We need to stop giving up 2 to 5 runs in the first inning. That is my assessment.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone have Intel on Cam Hill? He was an all star in Summer ball and pitched one 1 2 3 inning early and nothing since. Was there mention of an injury?

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I do agree we are lucky to be undefeated, however, in a few situations we should have looked even better. Does feel like CDH has stretched some pitchers or let them finish an outing because we had a big lead. End of LIU game for example.

Offense has looked even better than I expected, Finley is a beast. Maybe I'm drinking the koolaid but I actually think the pitching will be fine. Like I mentioned, we've extended guys so pitching stats look bad but I think it's misleading.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer

Unhhh uhh, no, no way, not falling for it again this year. No way I believe we are going undefeated this year. Just not going to believe it this time.

Seriously, having no expectations coming in to the season has made watching the first 1/6 of the season enjoyable. I think I will continue to try and have no expectations and just take it as it comes. What I am really enjoying about this team is there is not one or two superstars, but a lot of guys who have put in the work to get to this stage. It’s easy to cheer for them.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
"It's never as good as it feels, and it's never as bad as it seems." Edward Zander

It's fun watching us win; getting behind and catching up to win is a lot better than getting ahead and losing at the end. (I get paid a lot to state the obvious.)
  • Injuries - worse than historical it seems. Chandler out for a few weeks probably cost us a regional host so injuries always important. Need Campbell back ASAP for his bat.
  • Defense - better than I expected. It isn't just fielding % but also DPs. Fielding % is the plays which clearly should be made and aren't, what is more plays are the good or great plays which are made. DPs seems to be the only stat which sort of captures that. There isn't one for Reid's OF catch last night which would have been a hit if he didn't make the play.
  • Batting - better than expected especially power. .462 OBP better than expected. Continued very good at running up count and wearing out other pitcher.
  • Pitching - Starters overall disappointing. (Finley good, Brown getting better, rest not starter quality yet). Relievers and closer better than I expected.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's really too early to take much stock in what we've seen so far. Some good stuff and some not so good stuff.

I generally think it's wise to wait until 3 or 4 weekends into conference play before making any judgements.

Ws are better then Ls though so not much to complain about on that front to this point.
Hey @Squints do me a favor... one day when you're drunk, hop on here & say something unreasonable. (y)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Pulse check baseball folks?

10-2 after the "pre[ACC]season"

I think I would haven taken that 10 times out of 10 if you asked me before season began. I also would have assumed that meant we won this most recent series.. disappointing.

10-2 came with significant injuries at key positions. ...another positive sign (I think)

Seems this happens every year. I say I'll know what we have at this point. Yet... here we are... & I'm clueless.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Pulse check baseball folks?

10-2 after the "pre[ACC]season"

I think I would haven taken that 10 times out of 10 if you asked me before season began. I also would have assumed that meant we won this most recent series.. disappointing.

10-2 came with significant injuries at key positions. ...another positive sign (I think)

Seems this happens every year. I say I'll know what we have at this point. Yet... here we are... & I'm clueless.
Essentially what I expected. I agree that I would have taken 10-2 if given that option 4 weeks ago, but overall I still see this team as similar to, but probably marginally lower than last years team. The pitching is better, the team has more depth, but the lineup is a step backwards. Not that there was much room for improvement, so I don't mean that as a major negative.