2022-23 Season

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Some proposed changes..... so dumb....
The 20 sec pitch rule and some others.
No celebrations outside the dugout. So you can't celebrate at Home Plate. Coach can't step in dirt circle on appeals.
Really is all this really necessary?

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
the "no props" outside the dugout makes sense if you look at VT and their HR celebration with the sledge hammer. It jacks up the grass fields when they do that.
A&M did the Pringles on the steps of the dugout. As long as the celebration isn't destructive, I don't see or have a problem.
The VT one annoyed me. Especially for as manicured as the GT field is....

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Long live the dugout lizard
1657915381439.png

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
There’s nothing in these proposals that I think are bad for the game. The pitch clock should be implemented in all levels of baseball above high school. A 4-hour 9-innning game should never happen.

No on-field props shouldn’t be an issue. Want to bang a sledge hammer or dunk a basketball? Do it in the dugout. The turnover chains and spiked shoulder pads in football are on the sidelines, not the field.

Keeping coaches out of the dirt circle is pretty irrelevant. It’ll calm down out of control coaches like Vitello or they’ll risk an ejection.

Most of these represent an improvement to me. I see zero negative changes.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Last edited:

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I hope too they make the bump to equivalency and boost the Full rides from 11.7 to upwards of 20-24 (by conference) if not the full 27?
There is lots of talk about this along with the coaching positions, which is great for Baseball, again by conference but Kendall is suggesting by Division (meaning D1 vs ACC or SEC or Big12, etc....)

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope too they make the bump to equivalency and boost the Full rides from 11.7 to upwards of 20-24 (by conference) if not the full 27?
There is lots of talk about this along with the coaching positions, which is great for Baseball, again by conference but Kendall is suggesting by Division (meaning D1 vs ACC or SEC or Big12, etc....)

I believe the addition of more scholarships will hurt Tech overall given that we have a slight advantage with the Hope Scholarship situation in the state of Georgia. Then again with the NIL situation we could be seeing baseball teams fully funded at top SEC and Big 10 schools anyway so maybe it levels the playing field somewhat.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
HOPE is great and definitely a huge advantage, but with more scholarships, GT would be able to recruit more out of state talent.
GA brags on shopping mostly in-state. But doesn't have the national draw or prestige of GT.

I do think NIL is going to hurt GT, LSU/Vandy/Ark and others have HUGE NIL $$.
I think given the football team debacle, and lack of fan support (for most sports), I would think companies would invest elsewhere.

There are players making 6 figures on NIL.....(good for them!)
That's why Tommy White went to LSU was for NIL

The other thing is fan support and turn out. SEC destroys the ACC in both and also in football....

Rusty C holds 4,100 fans. When was the last time that happened or got even close?

UNC is 4,100 but they do a better job at filling the stands
UVA 5,500+

The Dude (Miss State) holds 13K+ and they mostly fill it every game
Ole Miss is 12,100 and they Consistently get 10K+
FSU is 6,700
Clemson is at 6,200 and filled most every game
Univ of Texas is 7,000 and it's mostly filled every game
Texas A&M 7,000+
Ark and LSU both consistently bring in 10K+ a game.
1663939442164.png

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Fall Ball:
Kennesaw State the weekend of October 15th,
Jacksonville State the weekend of October 22nd.
D1 only has the Jacksonville game listed and is for Sunday the 23rd. Stay tuned I am sure the program will post the exact dates and times soon but the weekends and opponents are set.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
HOPE is great and definitely a huge advantage, but with more scholarships, GT would be able to recruit more out of state talent.
GA brags on shopping mostly in-state. But doesn't have the national draw or prestige of GT.

I do think NIL is going to hurt GT, LSU/Vandy/Ark and others have HUGE NIL $$.
I think given the football team debacle, and lack of fan support (for most sports), I would think companies would invest elsewhere.

There are players making 6 figures on NIL.....(good for them!)
That's why Tommy White went to LSU was for NIL

The other thing is fan support and turn out. SEC destroys the ACC in both and also in football....

Rusty C holds 4,100 fans. When was the last time that happened or got even close?

UNC is 4,100 but they do a better job at filling the stands
UVA 5,500+

The Dude (Miss State) holds 13K+ and they mostly fill it every game
Ole Miss is 12,100 and they Consistently get 10K+
FSU is 6,700
Clemson is at 6,200 and filled most every game
Univ of Texas is 7,000 and it's mostly filled every game
Texas A&M 7,000+
Ark and LSU both consistently bring in 10K+ a game.
View attachment 13139
I hear what you are saying about those attendance figures but none of those teams have a major league team in their backyard like Tech does as well as a Triple A team just up the road. I wonder if Tech wouldn't draw much better if they didn't have to compete with the other baseball venues like many of the other teams you listed.

Getting back to your discussion on NIL, I fear that it is going to ruin baseball just like it has football. Gone will be the days of teams like Coastal Carolina making it to the College World Series because they will never be able to hold on to any star players they develop. The almighty dollar has ruined the college game in most every other sport. Until now baseball has been less affected by that greed. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the players getting what they can, but as a fan of the game it is pretty disheartening to see baseball go down the same path as football and basketball.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I hear what you are saying about those attendance figures but none of those teams have a major league team in their backyard like Tech does as well as a Triple A team just up the road. I wonder if Tech wouldn't draw much better if they didn't have to compete with the other baseball venues like many of the other teams you listed.
More fun and exciting to play for more people in the stands. More people, more NIL. Honestly, not sure what Pro and Minor leagues nearby gets a player outside of seeing some Pros come workout. Scouts are everywhere. C did think it was cool to watch Freid pitch at GT. Sent me a video.
Given how much their lives revolve around baseball, not sure how much free time they give up on going to see a Pro or Minor League game. C went to maybe 2 Braves games and one of those was over the summer.

I think it was Kyle Peterson or Rooney that shared your thoughts on NIL. Going to be hard to keep and develop Talent as they chase the $$. There isn't any longterm loyalty within programs to the students so now we have the Portal and NIL. I agree and think NIL and the additional scholarship thing is really going to widen the gap between the haves and have nots. If scholarship choice is by conference....good luck keeping or recruiting top talent, if they are able to upgrade conference and get a full ride somewhere else....

Same with NIL. Tommy White is perfect example - came out lights out at NC State and said "See ya" off to get PAID at L$U. Not sure what happened with Christian Little (given he went to school early and then left Vandy for L$U.

I also think there is no way or reason programs should be recruiting 8-9th graders even 10th graders until after HS Spring Season. The Verbal commitment thing is a joke. Really only benefits the program to "lock" up a you talented kid, that could get hurt, or not continue to develop on the projected path or just get burnt out.
Would be nice if they were able to talk to and develop relationships earlier, without commitment and only commit summer between SO-JR and then all JR-SR, SR-FR.
All this also pushes the Travel Ball agenda and money train. 12-14U showcases and National this or that....SO summer is when we started to hit the National Train (PG/WWBA, Summer SO-JR, East Cobb (Fall Jr, Jr-Sr Summer/Fall), etc). That's when recruiting really was heavy.

Don't get me wrong. Roster management can not be any fun and these programs are “businesses”.
One of the local dad's here has a son (SO) (who plays nationally for Canes National) getting recruited locally and some other programs, hard, by the likes of Baylor and other Texas Programs are trying to "lock up" his son. 6'3, 155, throws low to mid 80s (never played HS varsity - not that HS ball means anything, but he wasn't good enough to make Varsity yet). Another local kid, also on Canes National. Locked up with Baylor as a SO (summer). Might have been his dream school, but he's highly highly ranked and could have gone to a much better baseball school on his skills and development since then. To each their own. Family decision. The first dad already mentioned they might take bird in hand with Baylor and then see how he develops and then take a better offer later (as the sharks still swim around and make offers, even to the "Verbals" until NLI is signed).

You also have programs shopping from the Portal, hard, like A&M (15 last year, 8 this year), Auburn (12 last year), South Carolina (10 this year), Miss State (11 this year). And we saw what happened to Texas Tech commits (this summer). All this portal activity is ON TOP of the 15-20 commits per recruiting class. It's a little bit much and very hard for kids to feel or have the loyalty of any program that is constantly trying to back fill you with not only younger players, but also other players same age/or above from other and maybe better programs. Everyone fighting for opportunity and playing time. Seems more distracted and disjointed than if they could reign in the over recruitment/portal stuff.

Definitely not as much opportunity or loyalty and development as there was in the past. Programs tout development and facilities, but then don't commit and develop as promised dealing with all the roster pressures and limits, scholarship restrictions, etc. I'm not sure if full rides for all players would ease the portal pressure or opportunity, but if the schools were mandated to keep and develop those they recruit and if everyone had a full ride, I think there wouldn't be all this Portal craziness and over recruiting and over committing.

Just my $.05.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
More fun and exciting to play for more people in the stands. More people, more NIL. Honestly, not sure what Pro and Minor leagues nearby gets a player outside of seeing some Pros come workout. Scouts are everywhere. C did think it was cool to watch Freid pitch at GT. Sent me a video.
Given how much their lives revolve around baseball, not sure how much free time they give up on going to see a Pro or Minor League game. C went to maybe 2 Braves games and one of those was over the summer.

I think it was Kyle Peterson or Rooney that shared your thoughts on NIL. Going to be hard to keep and develop Talent as they chase the $$. There isn't any longterm loyalty within programs to the students so now we have the Portal and NIL. I agree and think NIL and the additional scholarship thing is really going to widen the gap between the haves and have nots. If scholarship choice is by conference....good luck keeping or recruiting top talent, if they are able to upgrade conference and get a full ride somewhere else....

Same with NIL. Tommy White is perfect example - came out lights out at NC State and said "See ya" off to get PAID at L$U. Not sure what happened with Christian Little (given he went to school early and then left Vandy for L$U.

I also think there is no way or reason programs should be recruiting 8-9th graders even 10th graders until after HS Spring Season. The Verbal commitment thing is a joke. Really only benefits the program to "lock" up a you talented kid, that could get hurt, or not continue to develop on the projected path or just get burnt out.
Would be nice if they were able to talk to and develop relationships earlier, without commitment and only commit summer between SO-JR and then all JR-SR, SR-FR.
All this also pushes the Travel Ball agenda and money train. 12-14U showcases and National this or that....SO summer is when we started to hit the National Train (PG/WWBA, Summer SO-JR, East Cobb (Fall Jr, Jr-Sr Summer/Fall), etc). That's when recruiting really was heavy.

Don't get me wrong. Roster management can not be any fun and these programs are “businesses”.
One of the local dad's here has a son (SO) (who plays nationally for Canes National) getting recruited locally and some other programs, hard, by the likes of Baylor and other Texas Programs are trying to "lock up" his son. 6'3, 155, throws low to mid 80s (never played HS varsity - not that HS ball means anything, but he wasn't good enough to make Varsity yet). Another local kid, also on Canes National. Locked up with Baylor as a SO (summer). Might have been his dream school, but he's highly highly ranked and could have gone to a much better baseball school on his skills and development since then. To each their own. Family decision. The first dad already mentioned they might take bird in hand with Baylor and then see how he develops and then take a better offer later (as the sharks still swim around and make offers, even to the "Verbals" until NLI is signed).

You also have programs shopping from the Portal, hard, like A&M (15 last year, 8 this year), Auburn (12 last year), South Carolina (10 this year), Miss State (11 this year). And we saw what happened to Texas Tech commits (this summer). All this portal activity is ON TOP of the 15-20 commits per recruiting class. It's a little bit much and very hard for kids to feel or have the loyalty of any program that is constantly trying to back fill you with not only younger players, but also other players same age/or above from other and maybe better programs. Everyone fighting for opportunity and playing time. Seems more distracted and disjointed than if they could reign in the over recruitment/portal stuff.

Definitely not as much opportunity or loyalty and development as there was in the past. Programs tout development and facilities, but then don't commit and develop as promised dealing with all the roster pressures and limits, scholarship restrictions, etc. I'm not sure if full rides for all players would ease the portal pressure or opportunity, but if the schools were mandated to keep and develop those they recruit and if everyone had a full ride, I think there wouldn't be all this Portal craziness and over recruiting and over committing.

Just my $.05.

@eokerholm thanks for contributing so much.

Loyalty has to go both ways; both up and down the organizational chain. When it breaks down either way, both ways fail. Look at the US military where there is loyalty both ways (generally) and look at the Russian military where the kids have no idea where and why and what they are doing.

For college baseball, I agree that the free transfer (good thing for students) and NIL (good thing for students) along with the COVID exemption year all came together and blew apart the old fabric of loyalty. The loyalty mirror is broken and I don't see it getting put back.

I think to some extent the massive over signing and transfers will calm down since over signing the schools will get a bad rep and for transfers kids will see how few actually upgrade when and if they land at a new school. Many of the kids transferring are going to be disappointed since the COVID year has led to a bulge in athletes for the next year and the lowered roster limit of 35. But I don't see the NIL calming down; I expect it to get worse since more NIL will lead to a better team and encourage more NIL. Positive feedback.

The GT advantage will continue to be the education with future income potential coupled with students recognition of how few make a lucrative MLB career. The minors are basically subsistence pay from which few escape. At least that is my naïve hope.

Go Christian!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The "market" is in a state of big change right now. Ultimately... the market will dictate how this plays out.

All of the points @eokerholm makes is great insight. It's GTs job to figure out the market & get ahead of the competition. I hoped they're equipped to do that. I think facilities, Atlanta, & program rep are a "net" help in that regard.

I'd love for someone to solve the attendance conundrum. I have a "feeling" Atlanta (& midtown) makes it hard to get fans to attend. At GT...the "college baseball product" (in a vacuum) is awesome... as good as all those SEC teams who kill wrt attendance. I think GT baseball simply has been unable to fire up fans otherwise unaffiliated with GT (ie alums). Not sure why. Most likely it's what was previously mentioned. Too many other (pro) baseball options & other pro teams in town.
Also... for 25% of the season... it's usually too cold for baseball. Once it gets warm enough, Gwinnett & Braves are playing.

What do others think?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One aspect which is going to stabilize the college baseball scene and help the smaller teams is playing time. There is only so much playing time available and while L$U can pay 50 of the best players to come, only 35 on the roster and only 20 (?) will having meaningful time. And it takes meaningful stats to get drafted from baseball. Not so much football where combine measurables count a lot, but in baseball it's expected that a college player will have shown out by the time he is drafted. HS players are where the MLB goes for pure potential.

The "market" is in a state of big change right now. Ultimately... the market will dictate how this plays out.

All of the points @eokerholm makes is great insight. It's GTs job to figure out the market & get ahead of the competition. I hoped they're equipped to do that. I think facilities, Atlanta, & program rep are a "net" help in that regard.

I'd love for someone to solve the attendance conundrum. I have a "feeling" Atlanta (& midtown) makes it hard to get fans to attend. At GT...the "college baseball product" (in a vacuum) is awesome... as good as all those SEC teams who kill wrt attendance. I think GT baseball simply has been unable to fire up fans otherwise unaffiliated with GT (ie alums). Not sure why. Most likely it's what was previously mentioned. Too many other (pro) baseball options & other pro teams in town.
Also... for 25% of the season... it's usually too cold for baseball. Once it gets warm enough, Gwinnett & Braves are playing.

What do others think?

Our prices our cheap, the stadium is one of the best most beautiful around, good concessions, great Champions Hall for all inclusive people and parking is easy. Something needs to be done to amp up the fans. Hall has not been the guy to do that. But someone with C****** façade wouldn't work overall either. I'm hoping Ramsey gets the HC job soon and adds energy to the PR end of the program.

Win in post season and they may come. I had season tickets last year available I tried to give away for free and I went to two games and gave away one game. The rest of the time I could see my (and many more) empty seats on TV. More games next year I hope!