2021 Atlanta Braves

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Any truth to the rumor that, when Luke took off his jersey to put on the NL champ shirt, there was a Dodger undershirt he forgot to hide?

Oops! :whistle:
I think you have something there. The back of the new shirt they gave him, had “Arnold“ on the collar. Someone passed it to him and said: Here you go “Benedict.”

I would replace him with Richard Rodriguez. Freddie spoke of the contributions he made since being acquired.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Per the Elias Sports Bureau, 63 of the 106 teams (59%) that played the first two World Series games at home prior to 2020 went on to win the championship, and 17 of the 25 (68%) teams with World Series home-field advantage in the Wild Card Era (dating back to 1995) also raised the Commissioner's Trophy.

Houston has 4 of the 7, in Texas.

Makes sense due to
1) home field advantage
2) team with better season record gets 4 games at home. Anyone know how long it has been this way, i.e. better regular season record gets to host first games?

I predict Braves win game 3 since we have a GT baseball game that day. Other games, they are on their own.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
There was a pitch to Freddie(before he got a walk), that was outside and low.
I mean if they had grass in the batters box, the ball would have been green.
Freeman looked at the HP Ump. like you need to strengthen those contacts.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Calling balls and strikes is hard. Really hard. And umpires make mistakes. But, I can't buy the argument that MLB is fixing the games via umpires fudging calls in favor of either team.
I believe you are right to a certain extent. The great historical teams get the calls, in all the sports I’ve watched or played in. I was captain of a baseball team where I was frozen the full three years. We lost zero games in our league. An older Babe Ruth team in Lilburn of 16-18 y.o. beat us in an exhibition after our WS, by a 2-1 score one of those years. They got the calls on that field in a tight game. We got the calls in our league, because whether subliminal or not, the good clubs get favor. I totally agree that officiating isn’t easy. Behind the plate or basketball on the baseline or linesman in foots. Although, you better believe LaBron, Kobe, got the benefit of the calls.

It‘s like playing K in Durham, the Cameron Crazies are loud. The officials are human, they get caught up in the action too. Ron Luciano was a family friend from Syracuse. I asked him if he did have a say in being asked to work so many Yankee games, while getting to remain closer to home? The union got him placed in the Bronx because there were no complaints from the home team, as they loved him. Those were the days reviewing performance was a joke. He spoke of it, as the good Ole Boys Network.

I don’t think fixes take place within officiating. But the good ones do work more.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Calling balls and strikes is hard. Really hard. And umpires make mistakes. But, I can't buy the argument that MLB is fixing the games via umpires fudging calls in favor of either team.
There have been a couple of phenomenon that have been proven: 1. The Maddux Effect: big name pitchers get more close calls, and 2. The Framing Effect: some catchers are better at framing a pitch and are more likely to get close calls. Those are real and unintentional.

The Dodgers were throwing mostly bullpen guys, so the going theory could be that Will Smithis a magician. But seeing as how the Dodgers and Braves were both 50/50 all season and in the NLDS on umpire advantage, it doesn’t seem likely.

The only real explanation is that the Dodgers, as a team, were favored by the umpires. You can debate if that was some intentional conspiracy or if it’s unintentional and a variation of the Maddux effect when a 105 win team plays an 88 win team.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Someone just posted that, in the history of Umpire Scorecards, there has only been 2 times a team was favored 6 games in a row:

2020 World Series (Dodgers over Rays)
2021 NLCS (Dodgers over Braves)

Where’s my tinfoil hat?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Houston a good hitting team, but the splits aren’t enough to warrant too much of a difference in starting or relief pitching philosophy:
  • LHBs vs. LHP: .776 OPS
  • RHB vs. LHP: .834 OPS
  • LHB vs. RHP: .794 OPS
  • RHB vs. RHP: .754 OPS

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Houston a good hitting team, but the splits aren’t enough to warrant too much of a difference in starting or relief pitching philosophy:
  • LHBs vs. LHP: .776 OPS
  • RHB vs. LHP: .834 OPS
  • LHB vs. RHP: .794 OPS
  • RHB vs. RHP: .754 OPS
Don't overthink it. It's REAL SIMPLE....

Houston cannot handle NL EAST in October... END OF STORY.

BRAVES in 6.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Love you, Fred-You really are the best!

Speaking of goodness….Austin Riley(@kg01 gave me permission to promote his boy every chance)and Babe Fried Ruth, should win a silver slugger. Freddie and Ozzie, why not?….

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I like Riley. A lot. But he has more strikeouts than hits. It would be nice if he made contact more often.

He had a nice season, but one season does not make him a star. In three seasons his BA is .226/.239/.303. And he had 168 strikeouts this year!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I like Riley. A lot. But he has more strikeouts than hits. It would be nice if he made contact more often.

He had a nice season, but one season does not make him a star. In three seasons his BA is .226/.239/.303. And he had 168 strikeouts this year!
It took him a while to get going just like all the rest of his team mates!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
W.S. Roster:

Atlanta Braves​

PITCHERS

Number, Name, Position

36 Ian Anderson SP

60 Jesse Chavez SP

54 Max Fried SP

77 Luke Jackson RP

74 Dylan Lee RP

55 Chris Martin RP