2021 ACC Baseball

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it got deleted... it basically said VT, PITT, LOU, CLEMSON... all needed to have good weekends & ALL ended up getting swept. Then noted they all now probably need to perform well in conference tournament to ensure their big tournament status.
Clemson is under .500 so they have to win the ACC to get in to the NCAAs now.

I didn't realize how well Duke has been playing lately. They deserve a tourney spot more than VT or Pitt imo.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My quick trigger on ACC Tournament Pools:

Pool A: #1ND, #8UVA, #12VT
Pool B: #2GT, #7LOU, #11CLEM
Pool C: #3NCST, #6UNC, #10PITT
Poo1 D: #4MIA, #5FSU, #9DUKE

Semi1 is A v D
Semi2 is B v C

Us winning this weekend really helped the mojo.

Pool A: #1ND, #8UVA, #12VT ....... UVa wins
Pool B: #2GT, #7LOU, #11CLEM ............. GT wins
Pool C: #3NCST, #6UNC, #10PITT ........... NC State wins
Poo1 D: #4MIA, #5FSU, #9DUKE ............. FSU wins

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
2020 MLB Five Round Draft yields us Parada DeLeo and Grissom. Grissom shines in his last two starts against Miami and UNC. Looks to be our potential Friday night starter next year.
Parada and DeLeo:
104 Hits
56 RBIs
158 Total Bases
ACC play:
85 Hits
55 RBIs
126 total bases.
Hats off to the trio of 19 year old Jackets!

Deleted member 2897

I mean, we just won the Coastal. I’d argue which may be the single toughest/best division in college baseball. Not a single team was below 0.500 overall. The 2nd to last team in the division was named as a possible regional host (🤣). While our record on the surface doesn’t make me do back hand springs, it’s an undeniably amazing accomplishment to win a division that may very well be the best in the country.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
We win the Coastal, 2nd overall record in ACC but we don't make a Top 25 list.
Our overall winning %age would have us 4th or 5th in other conferences....SEC, Big 12, Pac12, Big 10, Big West.....
Is that why?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Our overall winning %age would have us 4th or 5th in other conferences....SEC, Big 12, Pac12, Big 10, Big West.....
Is that why?

Thoughts?
IIRC, we have a 67% winning record vs the sec.

Deleted member 2897

I mean, we just won the Coastal. I’d argue which may be the single toughest/best division in college baseball. Not a single team was below 0.500 overall. The 2nd to last team in the division was named as a possible regional host (🤣). While our record on the surface doesn’t make me do back hand springs, it’s an undeniably amazing accomplishment to win a division that may very well be the best in the country.

To add a little more to this, Virginia Tech finished dead last out of the 7 teams in the Coastal. 27-23 overall. They got swept their last 6 games to finish in dead last at 16-20. They had been at the top of the division just a month earlier...5 losses down the stretch by 1-3 runs.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Is that why?

Thoughts?
I think they look at overall series wins, too. For instance, in 2019 we went 2-1 in about every single series. So we had a great 'series record' and a pretty damn good conference record. The committee liked that, and we got the overall #3 seed in the NCAAs.

This year, we have a couple sweeps, and a couple lost series at 1-2. A comparable conference record, but less impressive overall. Sometimes it's more about how you got there, I guess?

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
To add a little more to this, Virginia Tech finished dead last out of the 7 teams in the Coastal. 27-23 overall. They got swept their last 6 games to finish in dead last at 16-20. They had been at the top of the division just a month earlier...5 losses down the stretch by 1-3 runs.
Well, isn’t this the ‘ole SEC West football narrative that because anyone can beat anyone (except bammer) we are all great and it’s the toughest conference in football? I will readily admit I haven’t watched much college baseball outside of the ACC, but for me, the “eye test” does not tell me the ACC Costal is one of the best division in college baseball. Every team in the costal has GLARING weaknesses (or at least inconsistencies). As I stated, haven’t watched much outside the ACC so maybe the glaring weaknesses are still not as bad as other conferences so by comparison maybe it is (the best) ...... just not by my perception of what a really strong division would look like.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, we played two very poor SEC teams in Auburn and Georgia.....
You must not have heard about the invincibility of the sec. If we discount those wins for Tech, then we must also discount the wins against them by their conference mates. Now how do they look?
We have (14) Q1 wins. That leaves these teams with more: Arkansas(23), Vanderbilt(18), Ole Miss(17), Pitt(16), Notre Dame(15), and Tenn.(15).

Last edited:

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
You must not have heard about the invincibility of the sec. If we discount those wins for Tech, then we must also discount the wins against them by their conference mates. Now how do they look?
We have (14) Q1 wins. That leaves these teams with more: Arkansas(23), Vanderbilt(18), Ole Miss(17), Pitt(16), Notre Dame(15), and Tenn.(15).
Wow, ...... if you put it like that .....

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Is that why?

Thoughts?
I would say that our 7-6 OOC record with losses to #200 Eastern Kentucky (21-32), #156 Georgia State (17-36), and losing 2/3 to Kennesaw State (29-20, #131 RPI) don't help our case. Also, that we have 1 consistent starter in Hurter. Archer was great early, has been a coin toss lately. Grissom was unavailable early, starting to round into a consistent starter, but not quite there yet. Crawford injured, return uncertain. Weekday starter we can count on for a solid game? We have none. Bullpen, you never know what you're going to get. That does not scream top 25 team to me. Do we have the potential to beat anyone we play, yes. But the great GT teams that I have become accustomed to watching over the last 25 years have a stud Friday night starter, two guys that can go deep into most games on Saturday and Sunday, and have a stud starting pitcher in waiting throwing on Tuesday or Wednesday. Takes a lot of pressure off the bullpen when you have that. Perhaps times have changed so we may never have that again, but I keep hoping.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I would say that our 7-6 OOC record with losses to #200 Eastern Kentucky (21-32), #156 Georgia State (17-36), and losing 2/3 to Kennesaw State (29-20, #131 RPI) don't help our case. Also, that we have 1 consistent starter in Hurter. Archer was great early, has been a coin toss lately. Grissom was unavailable early, starting to round into a consistent starter, but not quite there yet. Crawford injured, return uncertain. Weekday starter we can count on for a solid game? We have none. Bullpen, you never know what you're going to get. That does not scream top 25 team to me. Do we have the potential to beat anyone we play, yes. But the great GT teams that I have become accustomed to watching over the last 25 years have a stud Friday night starter, two guys that can go deep into most games on Saturday and Sunday, and have a stud starting pitcher in waiting throwing on Tuesday or Wednesday. Takes a lot of pressure off the bullpen when you have that. Perhaps times have changed so we may never have that again, but I keep hoping.
We had that in 2019 with Curry, Thomas, Hurter, and Willingham which is why we were the #3 national seed.

Roedig and Grissom being hurt at the beginning of the year too because I figured that we'd have Roedig on Saturday, Archer on Sunday, and then Grissom to pitch the weekday games and be available out of the pen. Unfortunately, things never go as planned.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, isn’t this the ‘ole SEC West football narrative that because anyone can beat anyone (except bammer) we are all great and it’s the toughest conference in football? I will readily admit I haven’t watched much college baseball outside of the ACC, but for me, the “eye test” does not tell me the ACC Costal is one of the best division in college baseball. Every team in the costal has GLARING weaknesses (or at least inconsistencies). As I stated, haven’t watched much outside the ACC so maybe the glaring weaknesses are still not as bad as other conferences so by comparison maybe it is (the best) ...... just not by my perception of what a really strong division would look like.

I agree about Coastal, but only because I follow them and not others much at all.

However, the SEC has taken care of business OOC / NC with a 77% win %. ACC only 71%. So the SEC overall is playing better than the ACC this year.

We didn't help at 7-6 (54%). But we swept uGag :) So life is good.

And there are enough OOC / NC games to be statistically relevant for the ACC IMHO with 180 OOC / NC games. SEC a lot more since they smartly kept the conference scheduling the same while the ACC increased the conference play. God I hope the ACC doesn't ever do this again.

1621889651792.png