2021-2022 off-season

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If we are not getting rid of Collins then do this. Let him coach up the defense and be the coordinator during games. Fire the current defensive coordinator. Have Collins teach the other defensive assistants his system and give them key responsibilities for position groups. Have Collins be to the defense what CPJ was to the offense when he was head coach.

Fire the current offensive coordinator and bring in a former veteran head coach who is known for good game management and let him run the offense. Have the entire offensive staff come up the game plan each week, drill it into the team, and then let the OC manage the plan during the game, including responsibility for substitutions and time outs.

If a player blows an assignment, sit him down. Have players earn their starting positions and return to using a depth chart. Have assistants check with the players on the bench periodically to see if they are aware of down and distance and what play on offense or defense they might call if they were the coach. Keep the players focused on the actual game.

Find a way to communicate to fans that lets them know what’s going wrong and why, what’s being done to fix it, how we are measuring success and where we are getting better.

JacketFan137

Banned
sims is very clearly the guy going forward at qb but he is injury prone so there has to be another p5 caliber qb on the roster. yates is so bad that our offense is borderline unwatchable when he plays. peery needs to develop or we need to bring in a transfer from somewhere.

o line has to improve somehow. both qbs were running from d lineman all season.

pray to god and everything that is holy that gibbs doesn’t transfer

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Let's try to keep the fire Geoff Collins off this thread. Instead let's focusbon what needs done, improved, changed or removed. I clearly think we need new coordinators. Also, I think we need/should improve the lines... Our O line and D line clearly got over powered, in most games. What do you want to see, before heading into next season?
Another year of S&C. Our 2020 early enrollee recruits had 2 months S&C in 2020, 3 practices in Spring and 1 week preseason camp. So, let's not act like they've had the usual 2 seasons of every other rising 3rd year players. They have barely had more than the 2021 early enrollees. That said, this is a huge offseason for the OL and DL from those classes. We will know more after the Spring 2022 game in April.

We will still be putting guys with 2 years training on the field versus guys with 5 years training, but that will be a lot better than what we were asking this year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Another year of S&C. Our 2020 early enrollee recruits had 2 months S&C in 2020, 3 practices in Spring and 1 week preseason camp. So, let's not act like they've had the usual 2 seasons of every other rising 3rd year players. They have barely had more than the 2021 early enrollees. That said, this is a huge offseason for the OL and DL from those classes. We will know more after the Spring 2022 game in April.

We will still be putting guys with 2 years training on the field versus guys with 5 years training, but that will be a lot better than what we were asking this year.
So this explains why we lost to NIU?

Um, I’m thinking it’s going to take more in the off season than that.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
It’s really up to the players to continue working on their craft, until the coaching staff is replaced and we start over

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's try to keep the fire Geoff Collins off this thread. Instead let's focusbon what needs done, improved, changed or removed. I clearly think we need new coordinators. Also, I think we need/should improve the lines... Our O line and D line clearly got over powered, in most games. What do you want to see, before heading into next season?
Focus on the LOS…Bobby Ross’ mantra

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
6 wins…I am tired of excuses. I am considering not renewing my season tickets. I can’t be associated with this ineptitude, and to be blunt I don’t care, just win.

JacketFan137

Banned
Replace the OC, DC, and OL coach.
Open up the QB competition completely, including to potential transfers.
Hit the portal for a couple of OL.
Get rid of money down.
Have a real spring game.
sims is clearly the guy e o line just has to improve. if a transfer comes in we should be open to him starting but most importantly we cannot let yates ever play again if we are serious about winning more than 3 games

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
We need a lot of improvement in the off season. First the OL needs to identify and pick up simple stunts and blitzes better. It’s okay to get beat from time to time but blocking no one while we leave free blitzers to the QB happened too much. Second, QBs need to develop further and make some difficult plays to help the offense. A lot of teams have OL struggles, and the QB has to recognize coverages quickly and evade a rush. The last three games our best passing output was 130 yards and I believe we didn’t crack 100 yards in two. Our running game was ok this year.

On Defense, improvement is needed everywhere. We need to focus on keeping the young recruits because there appears to be some talent at key positions, need to focus on tackling to reduce yards after contact, need to assess why so many blown coverages were occurring, need more consistent pressure on Qb, need ints (only 3 all year, 4 if you count the two point attempt), I hate even quoting coach speak but what is the identity of our defense (we didn’t generate pressure, stop the run, stop the pass, generate negative plays, etc.)

On coaching, get the plays in quickly, quicker adjustments in the first half, more accountability, I don’t see practices but consider adjusting the focus of practices as confusion appears to occur across the board, and stop saying how close we are in games when we are losing. The games score on several occasions looked better than the game itself in my opinion.

slugboy

Staff member
We have some good running backs and I think our defensive line did pretty well too.
I feel like Carter, McGowan, and Sanders could start at receiver for most P5 teams. They’re fast, and they’re good receivers.

We have a **great** running back room. Our DEs are really good DEs. Walton, Watson, and Sims at CB have a lot of potential.

JacketFan137

Banned
We need a lot of improvement in the off season. First the OL needs to identify and pick up simple stunts and blitzes better. It’s okay to get beat from time to time but blocking no one while we leave free blitzers to the QB happened too much. Second, QBs need to develop further and make some difficult plays to help the offense. A lot of teams have OL struggles, and the QB has to recognize coverages quickly and evade a rush. The last three games our best passing output was 130 yards and I believe we didn’t crack 100 yards in two. Our running game was ok this year.

On Defense, improvement is needed everywhere. We need to focus on keeping the young recruits because there appears to be some talent at key positions, need to focus on tackling to reduce yards after contact, need to assess why so many blown coverages were occurring, need more consistent pressure on Qb, need ints (only 3 all year, 4 if you count the two point attempt), I hate even quoting coach speak but what is the identity of our defense (we didn’t generate pressure, stop the run, stop the pass, generate negative plays, etc.)

On coaching, get the plays in quickly, quicker adjustments in the first half, more accountability, I don’t see practices but consider adjusting the focus of practices as confusion appears to occur across the board, and stop saying how close we are in games when we are losing. The games score on several occasions looked better than the game itself in my opinion.
jordan yates at qb is a big part of those struggles in the passing game. he can’t throw downfield

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I feel like Carter, McGowan, and Sanders could start at receiver for most P5 teams. They’re fast, and they’re good receivers.

We have a **great** running back room. Our DEs are really good DEs. Walton, Watson, and Sims at CB have a lot of potential.
Good receivers, good running backs, and I suspect these positions have good coaches as well.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Replace the OC, DC, and OL coach.
Open up the QB competition completely, including to potential transfers.
Hit the portal for a couple of OL.
Get rid of money down.
Have a real spring game.
Agree with all that, and I think we should also let the two secondary coaches go and replace them with one coach for both safeties and cornerbacks. We should use the freed-up coaching slot to hire a good QB coach.