2021-2022 off-season

SJBryan

Georgia Tech Fan
How about going after some of the Coaches that lost jobs to be Coordinators for Offense or Defense in hopes that they could push Our Coach to be better or prove they need to be the next. I’d take Dan Mullen as a OC or as you may laugh or not like- I’d take Ed O as a DC.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
No more best friend/coach relationship. Tackling. 3rd down success on both sides of the ball. Imagination on offense. Hard hitting, reactive defense. Clock management and usage of timeouts. Reduction of dumb penalties.

Hit the portal for difference makers on both sides of the ball unless the young guys are ready to contribute at a high level. Convince current guys not to hit the portal.
I’ve never seen a coach be able to reverse the relationship thing, once he has set the culture. I do agree that would be an improvement.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
How about going after some of the Coaches that lost jobs to be Coordinators for Offense or Defense in hopes that they could push Our Coach to be better or prove they need to be the next. I’d take Dan Mullen as a OC or as you may laugh or not like- I’d take Ed O as a DC.
I don't think Mullen is a good head coach, so no. Ed O has too much baggage.

Jmonty71

Banned
Oh, come on! Isn't it obvious now that Ol transfers aren't cutting it and, to be frank, neither will the overstuffed OLs we are recruiting? I watched some of the game today and a few things became obvious. First, the SEC transfers we brought in can't block. Second, Collins's own recruits can't block. I don't know if this is due to recruiting or lack of coaching or desperation in transfers, but there it is.
I think we need hog mollies on the O line and D line. We got pushed around in almost every game. Now, what I don't know. How much of that is due to poor strength and conditioning? How much of that is due to talent gap? How much due to bad techniques? Bad coaching???. I really don't know the root cause. My hope is Collins figures that out, or hires someone that can. I just know something is broke.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we need hog mollies on the O line and D line. We got pushed around in almost every game. Now, what I don't know. How much of that is due to poor strength and conditioning? How much of that is due to talent gap? How much due to bad techniques? Bad coaching???. I really don't know the root cause. My hope is Collins figures that out, or hires someone that can. I just know something is broke.
i dont think the problem with getting pushed around on the OL is strength and conditioning. i think its more along the lines of attitude. but thats just my opinion. with out really knowing these guys, its hard to prove that.

GTBlaze

Banned
Let's try to keep the fire Geoff Collins off this thread. Instead let's focusbon what needs done, improved, changed or removed. I clearly think we need new coordinators. Also, I think we need/should improve the lines... Our O line and D line clearly got over powered, in most games. What do you want to see, before heading into next season?
Need to work on the standard gold/yellow… by far the most important thing to look at during the offseason

Jmonty71

Banned
i dont think the problem with getting pushed around on the OL is strength and conditioning. i think its more along the lines of attitude. but thats just my opinion. with out really knowing these guys, its hard to prove that.
I agree.... If its an attitude thing, that falls on the coaches. In my line of work, I say if you don't do your job, someone will. But, I refuse to think the players gave up. If that's the case, how does that explain the bad play, all year long? I really think we are running schemes that we don't have the right players to run. Example..... 3-4 defense. It requires 2 things, at minimum. A big DT or nose guard, as I call it, that can play the 2 gaps and 1 or 2 quick OLBs that can blitz. We don't have either. I think with our personnel a 4-3 would of served better.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
We are clearly a much bigger team than we were before but overall we are still way too slow. Bigger isn't always better and speed is part of S&C. Bulk up the OL and DTs this offseason but everything else needs to become quicker and faster.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Accountability. For coaches and players. Stop being soft. If you whiff (a block, a tackle, a route, a field goal, a punt, etc) expect criticism (demand criticism) and do better. We have a soft mentality across the program. Players thrive under tough love not free love. Bama loses today if they weren’t mentally tough because Saban does not give out free love. We are a program of free love and it shows on the scoreboard. Players do not play football to be loved by their coach. They play football to be men. Our coach hasn’t figured this out. It’s why NIU shoved it in on us. The concept of Above the Line is built on softness (can’t hurt any feelings by naming starters).

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Accountability. For coaches and players. Stop being soft. If you whiff (a block, a tackle, a route, a field goal, a punt, etc) expect criticism (demand criticism) and do better. We have a soft mentality across the program. Players thrive under tough love not free love. Bama loses today if they weren’t mentally tough because Saban does not give out free love. We are a program of free love and it shows on the scoreboard. Players do not play football to be loved by their coach. They play football to be men. Our coach hasn’t figured this out. It’s why NIU shoved it in on us. The concept of Above the Line is built on softness (can’t hurt any feelings by naming starters).
agree with this, but with the "culture" that GC brought in, i dont think you can do a 180 on that. would be a bad look.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
1. We don't. We need players who can block and move. What we have is porkers who can't do either one. Even players we have who can do both - Minihan, Lay, Cooper - have gained enough weight to become immobile.

2. Strength and conditioning has been a major focus of the present program. And … one can see what that has done for us and not just on the OL.

3. Talent gap? Maybe. Bad techniques? A lot of them were using the same techniques in their former programs and high school. Bad coaching? Maybe, but their coaches all have coached in good programs.

4. If I had to put a finger on it, it would be the way we are recruiting. The OL recruits for the last few years have mainly been recruited for their height and size. I understand that, to some extent. However, I'd much rather have an OL of young men who can move and coach them up then young men who were lights out in high school because they were playing against people 4 inches shorter and 60 - 80 pounds lighter. Or, to put it another way, give me an Andrew Gardner any day of the week. As a frosh, 6'5" 225; he played TE a lot in high school and a little DE. Graduates from Tech as an OT at 6'6", 285 and plays pro ball. More of that kind of recruiting, please.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We have made it this far and no one has brought up hot dog prices?????

Hot dogs at the game next year as we save for a replace the coach fund...

dc65670dbf0b93145ac1686c8a3d0482.jpg

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Saban's mental toughness hurt the Auburn QB's ankle and made Tank Bigsby forget to stay in bounds?