2021-2022 off-season

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Oh, come on! Isn't it obvious now that Ol transfers aren't cutting it and, to be frank, neither will the overstuffed OLs we are recruiting? I watched some of the game today and a few things became obvious. First, the SEC transfers we brought in can't block. Second, Collins's own recruits can't block. I don't know if this is due to recruiting or lack of coaching or desperation in transfers, but there it is.
They aren't cutting it, but if we hadn't had Devin Cochran the OL would have been even worse. It's too bad Kirby was hurt all year. He could have helped us, IMO.

We don't have any choice but to hit the transfer market at least as hard as it hits us. The alternative is to get young and stay young, which is what would happen by replacing people who transfer out with recruits.

We need a new OL coach. Key is overrated and living off his over-bloated reputation.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Some years ago during the summer the quarterbacks and receivers would work out. It wasn't official and there were no coaches. The quarterbacks would pretend to take a snap, the receivers would run routes, and the QB would throw. I know it doesn't simulate a game experience, but it could only help. I'd like to see Simms do a whole lot of that. Of course they may already be doing that.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
They aren't cutting it, but if we hadn't had Devin Cochran the OL would have been even worse. It's too bad Kirby was hurt all year. He could have helped us, IMO.

We don't have any choice but to hit the transfer market at least as hard as it hits us. The alternative is to get young and stay young, which is what would happen by replacing people who transfer out with recruits.

We need a new OL coach. Key is overrated and living off his over-bloated reputation.
Does anyone know if Kirby is eligible to apply for a medical waiver for an extra year of eligibility? Not sure if that's possible because of the already free COVID year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
How did you jump to that conclusion? Did you even read Jmonty's post?
Maybe responded to the wrong post? I don’t know. I agree with 99% of everything he says as a rule. But one exchange between posters back in the thread suggested that S&C was the key to turning next season around. I just think when you look at the NIU game where we had a physical advantage it shows that something bigger than poor strength and conditioning by the coaching staff is going on.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Maybe responded to the wrong post? I don’t know. I agree with 99% of everything he says as a rule. But one exchange between posters back in the thread suggested that S&C was the key to turning next season around. I just think when you look at the NIU game where we had a physical advantage it shows that something bigger than poor strength and conditioning by the coaching staff is going on.
NIU was sending 8 all night and we were attempting to block them with 5 or 6. We still had almost 500 yards of offense, which was 50 to 65% more than NIU. What really hurt us in that game was that Sims wasn't Sims and neither was Yates, even though he performed well given the circumstances.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
NIU was sending 8 all night and we were attempting to block them with 5 or 6. We still had almost 500 yards of offense, which was 50 to 65% more than NIU. What really hurt us in that game was that Sims wasn't Sims and neither was Yates, even though he performed well given the circumstances.
Exactly. We did not lose to NIU because they were bigger and beefier than our scrawny little lads. That’s why I suggested that it’s going to take more than S&C to turn these games into wins.

Jmonty71

Banned
I see the off season started with a bang. A needed and almost required bang. Now, let's see who moves in. There is another thread about OC and DC. So, we don't need to discuss that on this one. Once the new coordinators are named, what do you want to see?

Jmonty71

Banned
Hopefully everything getting stirred up will get Collins and crew to figure out how to fix everything in a hurry. He's got to know he has about 6 games to prove he should keep his job.
I want Collins to succeed. If he succeeds that means, we are once again a good football team. I really don't have a lot of faith in Collins. I see the type that pushes BS and not actual results... But, we'll see. I agree, I think he has 6-8 games, next year to show everyone we wants this job.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I want Collins to succeed. If he succeeds that means, we are once again a good football team. I really don't have a lot of faith in Collins. I see the type that pushes BS and not actual results... But, we'll see. I agree, I think he has 6-8 games, next year to show everyone we wants this job.
I agree with this. I hope the staff changes show him putting better people around him makes him look better. I don't care that he can't coach. I want a great organization for these kids and I want it quick. These kids deserve an environment that pushes them to be their best.