2020 MLB Draft

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
The coaches are always recruiting. Forbes told the parents that when we were onsite last summer. They had a guy coming in last weekend of July and they started back in August.

Per reports I read they struggled this year so I’m sure they have Ben locking their chops with the transfers.

other schools like Arkansas and Texas A&M (amd many others) love their Juco transfers.

That pipeline will get thick too in the coming years.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The coaches are always recruiting. Forbes told the parents that when we were onsite last summer. They had a guy coming in last weekend of July and they started back in August.

Per reports I read they struggled this year so I’m sure they have Ben locking their chops with the transfers.

other schools like Arkansas and Texas A&M (amd many others) love their Juco transfers.

That pipeline will get thick too in the coming years.
Coach Forbes should have / could have been a head coach long ago. I suppose he loves it at UNC... likely to be the sure successor to Fox.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Who we getting and from where?
I just heard that we MAY get two xfer pitchers.
If I had to make an opening day 2021 lineup right now including Wilhite and Grissom, Hall is in left, Nick in center, Baron in right. Lefty starting means Grissom at DH, righty puts Gonzales at DH. But that’s assuming a lot of things that we don’t really know will hold true, including whether or not Baron or Grissom will even be at Tech after the draft, and Wilhite coming back, which there’s not any real indication of that happening.
And surely Reid will bat somewhere.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I am really going to miss seeing Hughes pitch for GT. I have known his parents at GT and they have always kept up with me on my cancer battle, which is in it's third year. I also sat directly in front of Waddell's mother this season. I will definitely miss seeing her son at GT. I can't wait for GT baseball again and hope that people in my situation will be able to attend the games.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/05/01/mlb-2020-draft-proposal-rejected-mlbpa

Players rejected MLB 10 round draft proposal. It isn't the 10 rounds at issue... it's other details. They want a lot of rounds (10 is already the agreed upon max, I think). The issue seems to be reduced slot money in rounds 6-10 & other things.

The part I don't fully understand is MLB apparently have leverage right now. The parties agreed to a 'framework' not long ago & (I think) MLB can move forward with a draft without agreeing on these details as long as they stay within the framework. At risk.... a reduction in # of rounds. [This last paragraph is a lot of my interpretation of what I'm reading... I could have it wrong]

EDIT
Ok... here is more. Correcting some of my wrongness (up to 40 rounds in original framework):

MLB may send over a new proposal, but it can also hold a draft on terms that were reached in March, when the league and the union agreed to a general framework for operation during the pandemic. That framework included a minimum draft of five rounds and a maximum of 40, and a commitment to assign slot values identical to 2019’s. It also said that teams could sign an unlimited number of unsigned draftees for a maximum of $20,000. Either side is free to offer a revision to the agreement at any point, which is what the league did with this latest proposal.

https://theathletic.com/1787746/202...2020-amateur-draft?source=user-shared-article

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think someone said 5 rounds is around 160 picks. If I recall that correctly... my "guess" is Waddell & Parada are only guys drafted. No telling how many sign (undrafted). What a free for all.

I just read that it is 160 players including compensation rounds. https://sports.yahoo.com/report-mlb-draft-will-be-shortened-to-five-rounds-223145740.html $20K after that.

This is really hard as we don't know the lasting damage to the MLB business model wrt players bonuses and salaries. A lot of this year's bonus money is deferred and I think it was agreed that would happen for the next year or two. One really doesn't know the amount of future bonuses. I'm sort of expecting bonuses to get to 80% of 2019 in 2021 and maybe 90% of 2019 by 2022. My guesses:
  • very likely drafted top 160 players: Waddell and Parada.
  • not drafted but gone due to age: Hughes and Webb
  • on bubble but coming to GT : Grissom ~70% and DeLeo ~60%
  • on bubble but playing another year ~60% likely: Radcliffe and Guldberg
I hope uGag gets their top 3 pitchers all drafted.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I think it would be foolish for anybody drafted to not sign this year. The slot values for the 5 rounds are the same as last year’s draft, so anybody drafted will be guaranteed to make a pretty big buck, even if most of the money will be deferred. The 160th pick of last year’s draft had a slot value of $325,000. Obviously teams don’t have to give out that much money to their picks, but I’ve got a feeling most picks will get a bonus pretty true to their slot. Teams won’t mess around and pick guys who are on the fence about signing. Because there aren’t rounds 6-10 where they could save money by signing seniors early, there’s no need to try and save bonus money this year.

There probably won’t be more than just a couple of seniors selected this year. Teams won’t burn a pick on a guy they could probably sign for $20,000 anyway. Plus, there aren’t many seniors in this class who had a lot of buzz anyway. According to Perfect Game, Cam Shepherd from Georgia is the 2nd ranked senior this year, and Hughes is ranked 5th. Both talented guys who probably would’ve been signed at a senior discount somewhere between rounds 4-10 in a normal draft, but not exactly top 160 players in the country talented. The good news is that Hancock and Wilcox from Georgia are both very likely to be drafted, and like I said, I don’t think very many guys will turn down their offer this year. There’s no guarantee the slot money will even be equal to 2019’s in 2021, and even if they improve their stock they may end up taking less money.

An interesting point I hadn’t thought of is that every player that goes undrafted is a complete free-for-all. All 30 MLB teams will be in “recruiting” battles for players. It could create a huge competitive disadvantage for small market teams like the Royals and Mariners, while large market teams like the Dodgers and Yankees are able to sign dozens of more players. Going to be a strange draft year for sure. Hopefully all of our guys get what they’re expecting.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One other large factor is whether the next couple of years could be limited to 5 rounds. I think I read that there was an agreement that the minimum number of rounds would be expanded next year. But like everything in the future, it's subject to negotiation.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Article with more discussion (not pay wall) about the limited draft impact on college baseball. Also it says that there is an agreement to cap next years draft at 20 rounds. Now, to me a cap is a maximum and I'm more worried about the minimum number of rounds next year.
https://d1baseball.com/analysis/college-baseball-buckles-up-with-five-round-mlb-draft/

And this article makes it sound like the 2021 draft is 20 rounds. https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2020/3/27/21196682/mlb-mlbpa-agreement-draft

Makes a difference if you're trying to figure out whether to go this year whether next year is 5 or 20 rounds.

My no-inside-info guesses for this year remain worth what you paid for them. (Now back to washing windows for Mother's Day :) )