2020 MLB Draft

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
No problem. I guess I tip my hat to you. You have came on here and identified yourself. I guess my concern is that your son has never thrown a pitch at the college level, but to some , you come off as a know it all. Speaking only for myself, and take it or leave it, maybe back off your opinions somewhat. I’m afraid that you are setting yourself up to criticism if your son doesn’t live up to his billing. I for one hope that he is lights out, because that means the Jackets are , but until he does it at this level, he is like all the other players that sign, and that means nothing. You have great confidence in him ,and you should. I was just trying to make you aware that with you being so vocal before he gets on campus could irritate some, and I must admit that I am one of those. Having said that, I wish nothing but the best for you and your son, and hopefully only praise come his way. Once again , I’m just trying to offer some advice. Good luck, stay safe, and Go Jackets!

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Thank you for sharing. Apologize if you or others were irritated by me or my opinions or information. Not and never was my intent.
I'm not a know it all, but I am quite informed and I'm not for everybody.

Happy to come in and learn more, but I'm not a quiet guy, quick to research and analyze and have perspectives you might not thought of or don't or don't share. Guess what? That's OK.

The group seemed to like information and sharing of opinions. I love information and analysis.
Having information and opinions shared from the outside goes to show you the caliber of institution and program this is. You shouldn't be afraid or offended by them.

Did/does your son play for the team or do/did you attend GT? That's the requirement to get in here, right?

Am I the only current recruit or player parent on here or should I have not said anything or don't get an opinion until he shows up?

What did I say that disparaged or down played someone on here or a player?

Are you worried that he isn't coming or that he hasn't pitched yet?
My son is also not drafting. Should I have not shared that?
The group seems to love to worry about who is coming or isn't, who is getting drafted, and who isn't.
Yes the landscape and game have changed. Especially now. We know people that have gone through the system and he knows the odds of drafting out of HS and typical outcomes.
He knows and appreciated the value of an education.

I came on here are as recruit parent and give a perspective of an outside recruit, coming into a program that was heavily researched and compared, as were others, from another state; which I think doesn't happen often and was applauded by some for coming on here to share perspectives and information you don't often get.

Am I an a$$ for sharing facts or 3rd party stats and evaluations or rankings on the various recruiting classes or predictions of the level of guys that will be drawn here??

Is it a bad thing that he's shared that he's steadfast in his commitment to and desire to come to get an education and play at GT? Nope.
Does he want to come in and compete and earn his spot, get better and also earn a degree. You bet. Don't you want guys like that here?
Was it bad that I did? Don't you want parents like that here? I'd rather he play and get an education than draft out of HS.

Is/was he draftable? Based on the calls he's getting, seems so.
6'4" almost 205, in HS throwing 92 (MLB avg) as a Junior at 17 years old.
Slated to work up to mid 90s this spring/summer. (hopefully that's still the case) (God I hope we play this summer)
By the time he shows up he should be 6'5"ish sitting in the low to mid 90s and touching upper 90s and should be 215-225. I'm sure they'll put more meat on him when he gets here.
Is that a bad thing? I would think not.

From previous posts I read when I got here people were hoping for the team and program to improve and get back to the top and be and recruit like a "Vandy".
That is a good thing isn't it? Isn't that what we all want? To get better and draw in talent from across the country?

This program barely recruited from out of state before and it is only going to go more the way of national level recruits, like my son and others, with what the new guys, new facilities, have in store, bring to the table, and the draw of the institution and the ACC from us outside of Georgia. Which is awesome for everyone involved.

If my son comes in and sucks, you all can call me out all you want and talk crap. I don't have a taste for it, but happy to eat crow.
But when he does show up, is lights out, we can all look back and laugh and share some drinks and toast to the Team and its success.

If I get out of line, please let me know. Happy to adjust course and dial back when needed.

But know that I'm always thinking of my son and want what is best for him and for this program - even though he isn't here YET.

He and I are both not strangers to criticism or doubt. But that is what makes us both strong and confident.

Stay safe and everyone wash your hands.

Together we swarm.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not trying to be an ***, and maybe it’s just me, but I hope that you are prepared for your son and every move that he makes to be discussed publicly on these message boards by people that know nothing about him. You are quick to voice your opinion on theses guys, remember that when it is your son that is being talked about. Believe me, I have been there. Go Jackets!

Yeah and I have done my share of providing opinion on our baseball team players performance. Or coach's performance.:(

But what is hard is when a players motivation is questioned. Here in Beesball world we are very genteel compared to the football post at GT Swarm. And those pale in nastiness to the SEC blogs we see after losses.

But the criticism will come and some of it valid and some of it not. I think @eokerholm will be able to take it since he will be able to consider the source.

What is going to be hard is to see how the MLB business model changes. Already this year there is a far smaller $ pie to be shared for the draft. And even much of that is deferred. Where we go from here remains far less certain than a few months ago.

I still haven't wrapped my head around the extension of all players eligibility entirely, but in the end, I think the availability of playing time will be the controlling factor in determining who comes and goes. There was a good D1 article on that this week that I'll discuss at some point when I get done with work ....... this virus has caused a lot of unanticipated problems that need to be dealt with. We really need some baseball to divert us!

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I came on here are as recruit parent and give a perspective of an outside recruit, coming into a program that was heavily researched and compared, as were others, from another state; which I think doesn't happen often and was applauded by some for coming on here to share perspectives and information you don't often get.
I love that you share this perspective. I am very interested in it, but rarely hear it. Thank you for sharing. Don't change anything. We need more like you. We need more of every kind. #togetherweswarm

griffin mizell

Georgia Tech Fan
No holds barred. Do what you gotta do.

No delusions of grandeur here.
I'm used to people talking about him, or me for that matter.

Feel free. If he F's up, I'm here to back you guys up and probably already said something to him or asked what he thought of the situation or outcome. Can't lose the lesson.
No participation trophies here. (We actually made both our kids give them back.)

I've had the same/similar conversations with my son.
10% get drafted. 90% have to plan for something else.
He knows the odds out of HS at a pitcher and is choosing school.
He's already been warned his offer is only verbal and might change or be totally rescinded. If it does, we'll do what we have to do.

He is well informed and knows the risks and is busting his butt in this off season and already put on 15 lbs in the last 2 months. He's doing what he can to compete, get better, and come in and earn his spot. He's 6'4" 203 right now and still growing and getting fast. 92 in the fall and was slated to be mid 90s this season/summer. We'll see how that goes, but by the time he shows up to campus, he'll be sitting 90s and hitting upper 90s with command of 4 pitches. We think that is a desirable asset to this program.

Sorry, I live in front of 2 monitors and work in analytics and am quick to research stuff.
I'm not talking nasty and think my responses are thoughtful, respectful, and inquisitive, when I don't know something.

If I'm being an a$$ please let me know. I speak pretty bluntly and not everyone gets that or me initially.

I'm also new to the MLB and College stuff, I don't claim to be an expert, but I can tell you what I know, hear, and find out. I'm also mature enough to handle being wrong and admitting it.
So again no worries.

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
I think that I may be misunderstood here. I’m not bashing for providing insight and information. I will say the “thats bull****” remark about the extra year of eligibility irked me. The comments on the Hughes article , which I may have taken out of context, also did. I have also been through it with a son, and as an uncle to a player. I will always side with the current players as long as they are representing GT with honor, and 99.9 % do. I was just trying to give some advice, and share my experience, to someone who hasn’t been through it yet. Just my opinion, dad is putting a big bullseye on the son, but he knows him better than anyone! Hope he comes to GT and is a 3 year All American , and goes 1st overall. Go Jackets!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think that I may be misunderstood here. I’m not bashing for providing insight and information. I will say the “thats bull****” remark about the extra year of eligibility irked me. The comments on the Hughes article , which I may have taken out of context, also did. I have also been through it with a son, and as an uncle to a player. I will always side with the current players as long as they are representing GT with honor, and 99.9 % do. I was just trying to give some advice, and share my experience, to someone who hasn’t been through it yet. Just my opinion, dad is putting a big bullseye on the son, but he knows him better than anyone! Hope he comes to GT and is a 3 year All American , and goes 1st overall. Go Jackets!
Obviously, you have no obligation to respond to this.. but I've always been a little curious. How much do players, parents, & others in "the team's circle" pay attention to The Swarm specifically... and other forums in general?

I'd really hope not much... I know that is probably easier for some than others.

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
There are a few that do. I personally have been a lurker on message boards for years. I rarely post , and most times I wish I hadn’t. It was probably harder on me when my nephew came along, because I was new to it, and would get fighting mad at some of the comments, not necessarily about him , but about teammates that I had become familiar with. I made a vow then that I would never bash a kid on a message board, and I guess I am still sensitive to it. I understand that it is a public forum, and everyone has a right to voice opinions. I’m not going to say that I’ve never said wtf are they playing so and so far , but I don’t voice that on a public forum. I choose to stay anonymous, mainly for my family’s sake. I do t want to be a target. I don’t have the balls that eckerholm has, or at least the ability to maintain a level head. Lol. I will say that my son is no longer at GT and is in the minors. Back to your question, parents, players , and recruits do pay attn to these boards to a certain degree. Go Jackets!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Obviously, you have no obligation to respond to this.. but I've always been a little curious. How much do players, parents, & others in "the team's circle" pay attention to The Swarm specifically... and other forums in general?

I'd really hope not much... I know that is probably easier for some than others.
I can say as someone who’s had some very close relationships with current and former players, that players couldn’t care less about the daily banter on various message boards. I doubt many, if any, players follow boards like this at all, and the only times they become relevant is if something very personal is out out there. I know there’s a few parents out there that may or may not post on these boards as a way to stay anonymous, but read quite a bit. Most players do pay at least a decent amount of attention to what’s written about them by news outlets. Whether that be national baseball outlets like Baseball America, Perfect Game, etc. or just local news stations like AJC or the various TV news channels.

I don’t think anybody is above public criticism, but I believe there should be limits about how far those criticisms can go. I can’t stand seeing someone go after a player’s heart or desire to play/win. Unless it’s brutally obvious a player isn’t hustling or is being lackadaisical, questioning someone’s heart is crossing the line in my opinion. I can also say that according to various Tech players, Tech fans heckle our own players when they aren’t performing well much worse than the fans of the other teams do. It’s even okay to voice displeasure with on-field performance from the crowd, but IMO it’s never okay to make that personal. An example of this from the UGA home game this year: Baron had looked bad at the plate and watched 2 strikes in what I believe was his last at-bat with runners on base. A fan near me stood up and yelled, “Come on! Swing the damn bat, Baron!” That’s not OK to me. If you’re going to yell at a player on the field, at least try to make it make it positive. These kids aren’t pros. They’re playing for Georgia Tech. They chose to come play here, and a lot of them took on some debt to do so. The least our fans can do is be respectful to them and their families (many of whom are at every single game) and support them through success and failure.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was speaking to the Draft and getting into the system in 3-5 years, vs a 6th year. Would seem "old" to go into the system after a 6th year with no leverage.
He has it now, but the lower round count doesn't bode well.
He's got the elite spin stuff, per all the game announcers and stuff I watched/heard this season.

Would you at MLB take a guy after 3 vs 6? You have 3 extra years and that many throws left in the arm or whatever.
What I've heard from a few was that scouts/teams and HS parents that have talked to them is that they want to get you in the MLB system sooner and save the 1000s of throws in college or in each year of college.

Also starting the 1st year of graduate school, to finish later? Do they let that happen like they do undergrad?

I get the goal is MLB, but again only 10% of college guys get drafted....

Nice article about Hughes here https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=18134

And D1 Baseball agrees that a younger player is much desired. Unfortunately D1 site is down or I'd quote the relevant parts. When it comes back I will as part of my overall thoughts on whether giving everyone an extra year makes sense or not. :)tease}

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's a good D1 article which doesn't appear to be locked. https://d1baseball.com/columns/college-baseball-braces-for-the-great-roster-crunch/

BLUF: Granting across the board eligibility depends on whether your focus is only on the current college players and game or on maximizing the efficiency of player development for the MLB.

First, the NCAA granted across the board eligibility years for all Spring sports, one of which was baseball. They did recognize that seniors would be exempt from the roster and scholarship limits that are in place for baseball but not other Spring sports. But they needed to since baseball is the only Spring sport with these roster limits in place (I think). They left the hard choices for roster and playing time up to individual conferences and colleges.

This next year is going to be really tough for all college sports since March Madness didn't happen and I think only $225M of expected $600M from March Madness was distributed. Many college Spring sports are going to be eliminated. A local college has gotten rid of wrestling already. Many colleges couldn't afford the 11.7 scholarships before this cut. I expect a lot of colleges with marginal programs will cut their baseball teams. For the teams in financial distress already, the NCAA ruling doesn't really matter.

From an individual point of view, granting across the board eligibility will help those already in college. I think this was the driving factor behind the NCAA ruling. There is no free lunch.

For P5 schools, the ruling will improve the college level of talent next year as players who don't get drafted will probably opt to stay in as long as they have two years of eligibility. But my opinion is diferent than D1 baseball writer who says "Many players will surely take those $20K bonus offers to get their pro careers started, knowing that their value will be significantly reduced if they return to school as 22-year-old juniors, considering how age-obsessed MLB clubs have become." I guess we'll see. @eokerholm and others say the same thing about the MLB not wanting older players for a variety of reasons.

This ruling will hurt incoming players for the next four years who will have to compete with more experienced players. The better upperclassmen who are not MLB ready and would have left will generally take playing time away from the freshmen coming in this year and until today's freshmen are gone, which used to be within 5 years but is now 6 years. Those players will not get as much playing time and development.

Couple this with the travel roster limit of 27 and I still think that the opportunity for playing time is what is going to influence most teams decisions on roster size and content. As D1 said "Servais pointed out that he can only put 27 players on his travel roster anyway, so if he had a 40- or 45-man roster, he would struggle to keep a dozen more players engaged, and team morale would suffer. Even some power five coaches, like Arizona State’s Tracy Smith, prefer smaller rosters."

I think in the end, those players who come to college with the proven talent already to make it to the MLB will not be as hurt from a playing time point of view since they will generally get the playing time. Players, like maybe Austin Wilhite pitching, will suffer as they will never get the playing time to be able to develop.

My solution would probably have been to give this years seniors (Sr & rSrs) and juniors (Jrs & rJrs) the extra year of eligibility so they wouldn't be screwed by MLB low balling players who are in their last year. But then the NCAA would have to recognize the money aspect of the sport; in a sport where the NCAA gets very little if anything. Basketball and football would have been treated differently.

P.S. I really miss college baseball.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I'm with you 100%

watching the 2019 SEC Regional Semifinal on SEC Network. Vandy and LSU.
Gorgeous day in Hoover.

least I have some ESPN app games to go to on demand too.

Happy Easter y'all!

House smells like Butt. LOL!
2 Pork Butts in the oven roasting since 6am. Pulled pork later. YUMMY!!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Here's a good D1 article which doesn't appear to be locked. https://d1baseball.com/columns/college-baseball-braces-for-the-great-roster-crunch/

BLUF: Granting across the board eligibility depends on whether your focus is only on the current college players and game or on maximizing the efficiency of player development for the MLB.

First, the NCAA granted across the board eligibility years for all Spring sports, one of which was baseball. They did recognize that seniors would be exempt from the roster and scholarship limits that are in place for baseball but not other Spring sports. But they needed to since baseball is the only Spring sport with these roster limits in place (I think). They left the hard choices for roster and playing time up to individual conferences and colleges.

This next year is going to be really tough for all college sports since March Madness didn't happen and I think only $225M of expected $600M from March Madness was distributed. Many college Spring sports are going to be eliminated. A local college has gotten rid of wrestling already. Many colleges couldn't afford the 11.7 scholarships before this cut. I expect a lot of colleges with marginal programs will cut their baseball teams. For the teams in financial distress already, the NCAA ruling doesn't really matter.

From an individual point of view, granting across the board eligibility will help those already in college. I think this was the driving factor behind the NCAA ruling. There is no free lunch.

For P5 schools, the ruling will improve the college level of talent next year as players who don't get drafted will probably opt to stay in as long as they have two years of eligibility. But my opinion is diferent than D1 baseball writer who says "Many players will surely take those $20K bonus offers to get their pro careers started, knowing that their value will be significantly reduced if they return to school as 22-year-old juniors, considering how age-obsessed MLB clubs have become." I guess we'll see. @eokerholm and others say the same thing about the MLB not wanting older players for a variety of reasons.

This ruling will hurt incoming players for the next four years who will have to compete with more experienced players. The better upperclassmen who are not MLB ready and would have left will generally take playing time away from the freshmen coming in this year and until today's freshmen are gone, which used to be within 5 years but is now 6 years. Those players will not get as much playing time and development.

Couple this with the travel roster limit of 27 and I still think that the opportunity for playing time is what is going to influence most teams decisions on roster size and content. As D1 said "Servais pointed out that he can only put 27 players on his travel roster anyway, so if he had a 40- or 45-man roster, he would struggle to keep a dozen more players engaged, and team morale would suffer. Even some power five coaches, like Arizona State’s Tracy Smith, prefer smaller rosters."

I think in the end, those players who come to college with the proven talent already to make it to the MLB will not be as hurt from a playing time point of view since they will generally get the playing time. Players, like maybe Austin Wilhite pitching, will suffer as they will never get the playing time to be able to develop.

My solution would probably have been to give this years seniors (Sr & rSrs) and juniors (Jrs & rJrs) the extra year of eligibility so they wouldn't be screwed by MLB low balling players who are in their last year. But then the NCAA would have to recognize the money aspect of the sport; in a sport where the NCAA gets very little if anything. Basketball and football would have been treated differently.

P.S. I really miss college baseball.
Minor & impulsive thought... but will these same D1 coaches lamenting the problems with inflated rosters be welcoming talent off the transfer portal? D1 baseball has been tweeting about a large number of players entering the portal.

@eokerholm Great minds! My pulled pork butt should be ready today around 530 pm EDT. Yum Yum.