• Position C
  • AGE 18
  • BATS R
  • DOB 08/03/2001
  • THROWS R
  • HT 6' 0"
  • SIGNED Georgia Tech
  • WT 200
Scouting Grades/Report (20-80 grading scale)
  • HIT 50
  • POWER 55
  • RUN 40
  • ARM 55
  • FIELD 45
  • OVERALL 50
While Parada has been a known quantity for a while he was the MVP of the Perfect Game WWBA World Championships in 2018 -- he really jumped on the prospect map with a very strong summer showcase performance in 2019, standing out in Major League Baseball's PDP League and playing in PG's All-American Classic.

Parada has the chance to be a solid all-around backstop when all is said and done. He has the potential to hit for both average and power. He shows more pull power now, but should have the ability to drive the ball to all fields. He's a hitter first right now who is content to go the other way and who doesn't strike out a lot, but there's plenty of strength for him to tap into. He's pretty athletic and runs well for a catcher. Behind the plate, he has an above-average arm that's accurate, but his other defensive skills are just adequate. There's some stiffness, but he should be good enough to stay behind the dish long term.

He has shown the ability to play other positions should catching not work out and his athleticism should allow him to handle another spot if a team wanted to let his bat play. Any team wanting to draft and sign him away from his commitment to Georgia Tech would likely send him out as a catcher and let him develop as an offensive-minded backstop.
  • Luke Waddell
  • Position SS
  • AGE 21
  • BATS L
  • DOB 07/13/1998
  • THROWS R
  • HT 5' 9"
  • DRAFTED 2019, 32nd (962) - ARI
  • WT 180
Scouting Grades/Report (20-80 grading scale)
  • HIT 50
  • POWER 30
  • RUN 60
  • ARM 55
  • FIELD 50
  • OVERALL 45

A 32nd-round pick as a sophomore a year ago, Waddell turned down the D-backs and spent the summer as the first Georgia Tech player on the U.S. collegiate national team since Derek Dietrich in 2008. The primary leadoff hitter on Team USA, he has the attributes to serve in that role in pro ball as well. He has one of the best floors among college infielders, with a high likelihood of serving at least a utility role and a chance to become a regular.

Waddell focuses on making contact with a measured left-handed swing. That approach doesn't yield much in the way of power, but he repeatedly produces line drives to all fields and enhances his on-base ability by controlling the count. A plus runner who was a star running back at Loveland (Ohio) High, he has the quickness and know-how to steal bases.

After dividing his time between three infield positions as a freshman, Waddell took over as the Yellow Jackets' shortstop early in his sophomore season. An average defender with solid arm strength at shortstop, he profiles as a better defender at second base. He's also capable of playing third base but doesn't fit the offensive profile there.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm still waiting for MLB to decide on the number of rounds. If 5 rounds, I think Parada still goes to MLB with DeLeo on the bubble and Grissom and the rest coming.

Hughes and Waddell are gone. Webb and Guldberg are on the bubble.

As has been discussed in podcasts, the overall talent level of college baseball is going up. Can't wait to see! (y)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm still waiting for MLB to decide on the number of rounds. If 5 rounds, I think Parada still goes to MLB with DeLeo on the bubble and Grissom and the rest coming.

Hughes and Waddell are gone. Webb and Guldberg are on the bubble.

As has been discussed in podcasts, the overall talent level of college baseball is going up. Can't wait to see! (y)
I think we probably underestimate the "wildcard" of a guy (Hughes... probably Webb too) who will have graduated. Playing another year is not only another year not getting affiliated with a pro team... but the added piece of a desire & ability to get into a graduate program at GA Tech. I have no idea if any consideration is given to graduate athletes in the application process.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think we probably underestimate the "wildcard" of a guy (Hughes... probably Webb too) who will have graduated. Playing another year is not only another year not getting affiliated with a pro team... but the added piece of a desire & ability to get into a graduate program at GA Tech. I have no idea if any consideration is given to graduate athletes in the application process.

We are going to be playing against teams that get that type of guy back.

From the football forum, I doubt scholarship athletes get any special treatment in graduate studies. Certainly not in the MBA program.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Hughes and Webb are definitely gone. Webb because he’ll be graduated and looking for a job, Hughes for MLB aspirations. He’s already 23, and would be 24 by the time of next year’s draft. With MiLB cutting teams, youth will become and even more valuable commodity than it already is in baseball. As I’ve said, Wilhite is the only senior who I might see coming back, and if he does I wouldn’t be surprised to see Nick back too. With the limited rounds in this year’s draft, anyone who does get drafted is almost certainly gone. Because undrafted free agents can only sign for a maximum of $20,000 this year, any junior who doesn’t get drafted is almost certainly coming back. Waddell and Hughes are the only 2 draft guys I think Tech has this year, but Hughes is gone either way. I’m still not completely convinced Hurter won’t get drafted, but with the limited numbers it would surprise me a little more now than it would had the draft been normal. That does mean next year’s class will have a ton of losses. Hurter if he doesn’t go this year, Roedig, Bartnicki, Guldberg, Radcliff, Archer, possibly Hall.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hughes and Webb are definitely gone. Webb because he’ll be graduated and looking for a job, Hughes for MLB aspirations. He’s already 23, and would be 24 by the time of next year’s draft. With MiLB cutting teams, youth will become and even more valuable commodity than it already is in baseball. As I’ve said, Wilhite is the only senior who I might see coming back, and if he does I wouldn’t be surprised to see Nick back too. With the limited rounds in this year’s draft, anyone who does get drafted is almost certainly gone. Because undrafted free agents can only sign for a maximum of $20,000 this year, any junior who doesn’t get drafted is almost certainly coming back. Waddell and Hughes are the only 2 draft guys I think Tech has this year, but Hughes is gone either way. I’m still not completely convinced Hurter won’t get drafted, but with the limited numbers it would surprise me a little more now than it would had the draft been normal. That does mean next year’s class will have a ton of losses. Hurter if he doesn’t go this year, Roedig, Bartnicki, Guldberg, Radcliff, Archer, possibly Hall.

Waddell too as you said in the middle.

When would Nick play? Especially if Grissom comes? We are stacked in OF. I could see starting Nick for defense in 9 hole and then substituting early. I'd love to see some more 9 hole walks.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Waddell too as you said in the middle.

When would Nick play? Especially if Grissom comes? We are stacked in OF. I could see starting Nick for defense in 9 hole and then substituting early. I'd love to see some more 9 hole walks.
I think the biggest limiting factor on getting the Wilhite’s back would be if Austin would be willing to give up his position player status and become a pitcher full time. Jadyn Jackson was probably going to move into the 2B spot full time by the time the season was over. Next year’s infield could look like:
  • 1B- Compton
  • 2B- Guldberg
  • SS- Jackson
  • 3B- Jenkins
Assuming the Wilhites are back and Grissom is on campus, that leaves outfield options as Hall, Wilhite, Gonzales, Grissom, Radcliff. Out of that group, Wilhite is definitely the best defensive OF, but probably towards the bottom in offensive production over his career. However, if he had another year similar to his junior year at the plate, he’d be one of the most valuable. Baron is probably the worst defensive OF, but it would be hard to take his bat out of the lineup with his power potential. I haven’t seen enough of Gonzales or Grissom to fairly judge them, but the most likely scenario would be one of those 2 DHing, potentially platooning them depending on whether a lefty or righty is pitching.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I think the biggest limiting factor on getting the Wilhite’s back would be if Austin would be willing to give up his position player status and become a pitcher full time. Jadyn Jackson was probably going to move into the 2B spot full time by the time the season was over. Next year’s infield could look like:
  • 1B- Compton
  • 2B- Guldberg
  • SS- Jackson
  • 3B- Jenkins
Assuming the Wilhites are back and Grissom is on campus, that leaves outfield options as Hall, Wilhite, Gonzales, Grissom, Radcliff. Out of that group, Wilhite is definitely the best defensive OF, but probably towards the bottom in offensive production over his career. However, if he had another year similar to his junior year at the plate, he’d be one of the most valuable. Baron is probably the worst defensive OF, but it would be hard to take his bat out of the lineup with his power potential. I haven’t seen enough of Gonzales or Grissom to fairly judge them, but the most likely scenario would be one of those 2 DHing, potentially platooning them depending on whether a lefty or righty is pitching.
Where are you putting Hall?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Where are you putting Hall?
If I had to make an opening day 2021 lineup right now including Wilhite and Grissom, Hall is in left, Nick in center, Baron in right. Lefty starting means Grissom at DH, righty puts Gonzales at DH. But that’s assuming a lot of things that we don’t really know will hold true, including whether or not Baron or Grissom will even be at Tech after the draft, and Wilhite coming back, which there’s not any real indication of that happening.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
  • 1B- Compton
  • 2B- Guldberg
  • SS- Jackson
  • 3B- Jenkins
Grissom is going to be a pitcher. Dude throws in the low 90s already with a nasty breaking ball. I also wouldn't rule out Benson starting at SS and Jackson at 2nd with Guldberg in LF again. Either way, we have a ton of options next year.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
This is why I found it so disingenuous when D1 coaches complained about the "problems" created by extending eligibility. Quotes like "rosters are going to be so big, I'm going have a hard time getting 'my guys' playing time" ...unless by "my guys" they meant not only the guys they've coached & recruited... but also the really good players that have been playing for other schools for as many as 5 years. (tic)

[I'm not aware of Coach Fox complaining... to be clear, but no coach will turn down bringing in talent they believe will contribute]

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Grissom is going to be a pitcher. Dude throws in the low 90s already with a nasty breaking ball. I also wouldn't rule out Benson starting at SS and Jackson at 2nd with Guldberg in LF again. Either way, we have a ton of options next year.

My bad, I meant DeLeo in OF not Grissom. It's looking more likely DeLeo will show up if MLB only goes 5 rounds and the player draft rankings are accurate (and based on discussions with a kid's "agent").

Still no recent news I could find on when the draft is other than July. And still >=5 rounds.