2020 Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
From MLBTR:
  • We heard chatter about Freddie Freeman’s late-2019 elbow issues, but it seems the injury was a fair bit more debilitating than the Braves slugger let on. As Jeff Schultz of The Athletic reports (subscription link), Freeman dealt not only with pain, but with quite a lot of difficulties relating to his efforts to deal with the agonizing bone spurs in his joint. Schultz writes that the star first baseman relied heavily upon pain pills just to be able to play. But that came with other problems: “He had gotten into bad habits, cutting his swing short, because of the injury. The lack of sleep and accompanying stress made things worse.” The story speaks to Freeman’s determination, but it’s also a bit worrisome to read of his travails. Thankfully, it seems offseason surgery has eliminated the need for such drastic measures in 2020.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
From MLBTR:
  • We heard chatter about Freddie Freeman’s late-2019 elbow issues, but it seems the injury was a fair bit more debilitating than the Braves slugger let on. As Jeff Schultz of The Athletic reports (subscription link), Freeman dealt not only with pain, but with quite a lot of difficulties relating to his efforts to deal with the agonizing bone spurs in his joint. Schultz writes that the star first baseman relied heavily upon pain pills just to be able to play. But that came with other problems: “He had gotten into bad habits, cutting his swing short, because of the injury. The lack of sleep and accompanying stress made things worse.” The story speaks to Freeman’s determination, but it’s also a bit worrisome to read of his travails. Thankfully, it seems offseason surgery has eliminated the need for such drastic measures in 2020.
It's good that Freddie will be healthy for the 2020 season and i think he'll have another great season.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I don't know Mike, it's a long season and we all know it's all about September-October.
I kind of like the idea, I think Markakis is capable and Freddy isn't a spring chicken anymore.
We need to work on having that mojo going into the post season, let's keep the boys as fresh as possible !
Great points you make,Jake(y) I don't want Freddie's elbow to go bad again:wideyed:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
With so many OF if they are all healthy, it's a decent idea. I just want to see him playing 1B in a game, even if it’s ST. Riley and maybe Duvall could play there too, as long as they are on the 26 man. Freeman definitely needs a few days off during the course of a 162 game season.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
With so many OF if they are all healthy, it's a decent idea. I just want to see him playing 1B in a game, even if it’s ST. Riley and maybe Duvall could play there too, as long as they are on the 26 man. Freeman definitely needs a few days off during the course of a 162 game season.
When do you think the Braves will start thinking about Freddie Freeman's successor at 1st base since he'll be a free agent in 2022? How do you think the Braves would go about replacing him do you think they would groom a minor leaguer or trade for a big name? If Freddie retires or goes to another team as a free agent in 2022 i think the Braves would probably try to trade for an established top shelf 1st baseman.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
upload_2020-2-25_9-0-25.png

OHOH ... not good !!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
When do you think the Braves will start thinking about Freddie Freeman's successor at 1st base since he'll be a free agent in 2022? How do you think the Braves would go about replacing him do you think they would groom a minor leaguer or trade for a big name? If Freddie retires or goes to another team as a free agent in 2022 i think the Braves would probably try to trade for an established top shelf 1st baseman.
Since he’s 29, an original Brave like Chipper Jones, you would think they might give him a 3 year/90 m. deal on the next contract if healthy. After that, year to year until he retires. My take on helping him is Bryce Ball(Drago), with the DH coming soon.
Ultimately, Ball becomes the future at 1B. Certainly the draft will help fill a need too.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Since he’s 29, an original Brave like Chipper Jones, you would think they might give him a 3 year/90 m. deal on the next contract if healthy. After that, year to year until he retires. My take on helping him is Bryce Ball(Drago), with the DH coming soon.
Ultimately, Ball becomes the future at 1B. Certainly the draft will help fill a need too.
Bryce Ball is going to be a great player in the future(y)

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
His hitting will be great in the future!:cool: In 2019 going between Danville and Rome he hit .329 with 17 homers and 52 runs batted in:cigar:
....and that was after being signed after the 20th round in the June Draft. Definitely a short season for the 6’6” monster at the collegiate ranks.

From MLBTR: On Freddie Freeman, being scratched for Alonso....
It’s not time to panic if you’re a Braves fan. The club made clear it’s a precautionary move. And some amount of swelling in the elbow at some point was probably inevitable. Freeman, after all, required fairly extensive cleanup work over the offseason to address painful bone spurs.