2020 Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
What do you guys think of the 26 man roster? Cant have more than 13 pitchers?
Personally I’m glad we don’t have to witness a manager bringing a reliever in to face one or two hitters in a half inning. Designated two-way players on roster? Do the Braves have any that can pitch 20 innings & also hit in 20 games? Position players 10 day IL, Pitchers go on 15 day DL. Will that decrease phantom arm ailments?

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Personally I’m glad we don’t have to witness a manager bringing a reliever in to face one or two hitters in a half inning. Designated two-way players on roster? Do the Braves have any that can pitch 20 innings & also hit in 20 games? Position players 10 day IL, Pitchers go on 15 day DL. Will that decrease phantom arm ailments?
Pitching will be strong but hitting no so much

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Have a friend over on Gojackets.com(The Hive), who asked me to join them in The Water Cooler. Some good baseball talk. I posted with them this morning with some good chatter on the 26th man being a deluxe PH. Please join them/us.
Here’s a chart I borrowed from them on the youthful Braves Every Day Team:
1st - Freeman - 30
2nd - Albies - 23
SS - Swanson - 25
3rd - Camargo - 26 /Riley - 22
C - d'Arnaud - 30, Flowers - 33
RF - Acuna - 22
CF - Inciarte - 29
LF - Markakis - 36/Duvall -31

prospects -
outfield:
Pache - 21
Waters - 21

catcher:
Langeliers - 21
Contreras - 22

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Have a friend over on Gojackets.com(The Hive), who asked me to join them in The Water Cooler. Some good baseball talk. I posted with them this morning with some good chatter on the 26th man being a deluxe PH. Please join them/us.
Here’s a chart I borrowed from them on the youthful Braves Every Day Team:
1st - Freeman - 30
2nd - Albies - 23
SS - Swanson - 25
3rd - Camargo - 26 /Riley - 22
C - d'Arnaud - 30, Flowers - 33
RF - Acuna - 22
CF - Inciarte - 29
LF - Markakis - 36/Duvall -31

prospects -
outfield:
Pache - 21
Waters - 21

catcher:
Langeliers - 21
Contreras - 22
Who do you think will lead the Braves in home runs in 2020?:cigar: I think Ronald Acuna Jr will lead the Braves in home runs hitting 42.:D

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

Buzz, not sure about the change in the relieve pitching rule, will take some getting use to. It'll definitely speed-up the game, but at the same time really could drastically change the strategy and outcome of games.
Designated two-way players on rosters, I don't think we'll see that much of this ...

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The LA Angels have three guys, for the 2-way player designation. A year or so ago, someone brought up Matt Davidson’s name, 3B/P with Chisox.

I don’t think we have any, either. Austin Riley was only a pitcher up until the Braves drafted him. GT has had some really good 2-way guys.
————————————————————————————————————————-
It’s been proven when you dump your bullpen out in a game, someone is going to get rocked. I guess that’s why I liked the olden days, where a club used primarily 4 pitchers, an 8 man staff max. Then the closer became a 5th guy who would get in a contest, w/ 3 mop-up dudes. Then the middle-man...the long-man...the middle-reliever...the set-up man...and so forth.
For the HR Atlanta crown, I’ll go with Acuna too. If the ball is dull, 33. Lively like last year, 45. He would be helped by staying in the leadoff spot from opening day forward

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
It’s been proven when you dump your bullpen out in a game, someone is going to get rocked. I guess that’s why I liked the olden days, where a club used primarily 4 pitchers, an 8 man staff max. Then the closer became a 5th guy who would get in a contest, w/ 3 mop-up dudes. Then the middle-man...the long-man...the middle-reliever...the set-up man...and so forth.

Alas, I remember those olden days too, maybe it won't be as hard getting use to ...

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Below is a link to a pretty good article with some numbers regarding relief pitching. My take on this "Three batter minimum rule"

First of all.. and maybe picking nits... but baseball (or whoever decides these things... media?), needs to come up with a NAME for the rule that actually reflects the REAL meaning of the rule. This rule is NOT a rule "requiring" relievers to face a minimum of 3-batters. There will plenty of relief appearances resulting in fewer than 3 batters faced (when an inning ends)...and this is significant. This annoys me because it gives the false sense of accomplishing the stated goal (speeding up the game or fewer pitchers being used?). The linked article below does a good job of explaining the data. It will speed up some games.... but those it does, the impact will be marginal (IMO). If you believe the analysis below and you (as a fan) watch about 1 game per day (that is a lot)... only 1-2 games you watch per week will be impacted at all by this rule change. Saving you a total of probably 6 minutes per week (my swag).

Basically, we're looking at about 800 or so of these soon-to-be-banned relief appearances each year, plus a small impact to the length of "opener" appearances, because we're looking just at relievers for this data. While that hasn't changed appreciably over time, it's still notable. There are 26 weeks in a Major League Baseball season, and we saw 779 of these appearances in 2018. That's about 28 times per week, or roughly one per team per week. It's not a lot. It's not nothing.

I've said before... there are quite a few, more effective (easier) ways to speed up the pace of play. Top of my list:

No more mound visits (from dugout) - make call to bullpen from dugout.

Limit mound visits/meetings from catcher/infielders - rule already in place

New arm enters game "hot" and ready to pitch - maybe 2-3 pitches (max) to acclimate to mound

TV? - I don't know how much TV controls the length 'breaks' in the game, but I'd imagine there is some low-hanging fruit here too if TV could limit "time" of commercial breaks between innings/pitching changes

https://www.mlb.com/news/how-3-batter-minimum-will-change-baseball

Another example of baseball screwing up names of things.. "Robo-Ump" There is no such thing as a robotic umpire (yet). All the "experimentation" with this rule include an actual human being as the HP umpire. He simply has some sort of device (ear piece/iPod) feeding him output from the "system" detecting pitch location. Umpire still makes the "call"... overriding obvious erroneous detects (if necessary) and he and crew must make call on check swings.

Rant over... for now.

Buzz... Isn't there a minimum criteria that must be met for a player to "qualify" to be designated 2-way? And the criteria makes it a very small pool of players. In other words... very few teams will have 2-way players on their rosters.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Yes, Fred.
Must pitch 20 innings per season and also hit in 20 separate games(not as a DH or hitting when pitching in that game).
Also, there are stipulations of when an everyday player can come in the game to mop-up. Something like a difference of a six run deficit or more.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
upload_2020-1-21_11-12-59.png

OK, lets go out and sign Ozuna and Riley get his shot at 3rd ...

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Great news, IMHO:

6:06pm: The Braves have announced the deal and confirmed the terms of the agreement.

6:01pm: The Braves have agreed to a one-year deal with free-agent outfielder Marcell Ozuna, reports Jeff Passan of ESPN.com. The MDR Sports Management client will receive an $18MM salary that slightly exceeds the $17.8MM qualifying offer from the Cardinals that he rejected back in November.

Bides another year for Pache and Waters.

Last edited:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Great news, IMHO:
6:06pm: The Braves have announced the deal and confirmed the terms of the agreement.

6:01pm: The Braves have agreed to a one-year deal with free-agent outfielder Marcell Ozuna, reports Jeff Passan of ESPN.com. The MDR Sports Management client will receive an $18MM salary that slightly exceeds the $17.8MM qualifying offer from the Cardinals that he rejected back in November.
Fantastic news!! Once we missed on Donaldson, this Ozuna was the clear choice. A lineup of Acuna, Albies, Freeman, Ozuna, Swanson, D'Arnaud, Riley, and Inciarte sounds pretty good.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Great news, IMHO:

What is your opinion with Ozuna and Donaldson's batting including home runs and average ?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Great news, IMHO:

Bides another year for Pache and Waters.
Ouch.
Sincerely,
NATS Fan