2020 Adidas Swag Thread

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I don’t buy the population argument. I mean we got the alpha bounce when other schools didn’t, but i really wanted these 1.0
1599160350862.jpeg

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, engineers like me tend to be on the "thrifty" side. I will pay some extra for HIGH quality merchandise, especially if gold. So far, in the 3rd year with Adidas, I have seen nothing that "blows my doors off" with quality and definitely not enough gold stuff. For example, they should be able to make plenty of profit at $50 for a high quality polo and they should be able to make plenty of profit at $75 for a high quality quarter zip. I don't mind paying these prices (although it is nice to get a discount sometimes) if the merchandise is AWESOME. But, if our volume of actual "purchasers" is only 20 - 60% of state U, then it is understood why we "get what we get".
Unfortunately those price points aren’t going to get us what would be considered “high quality”. At a $50 price point for a polo, that’s going to be a wholesale (what adidas sells it to accounts for) price of $25. The days of a wholesale $25 polo from a major brand are LONG gone. We can still see those prices from lower tier labels, but just a basic, non-tech fabric, solid color polo from a major label is going to start wholesaling at $30 or so ($60 retail). Getting into your tech fabrics/moisture wicking fabrics, actual good looking “high quality” stuff then gets you into the high $30s-low $40s wholesale per polo. Now you’re at a $75-$80 retail price. I’m going off of a current UnderArmour catalog with these examples, as I don’t have a current Adidas, but all retail labels use very similar pricing. Basically retail/MSRP is 2x the wholesale cost.

I remember when you could actually get $25 wholesale, high quality shirts, but that was 20+ years ago. And you’re definitely not alone in the GT “thrifty” fan category, often times I think that the fact that we are our own worst enemies due to the fact that we are engineers/analytical. That usually makes us “cheap”. Honestly if I didn’t deal with apparel at the wholesale level for the last 24 or so years, I wouldn’t pay these prices either. But sitting with manufacturers reps during meetings and handling $30 wholesale polos side by side with $42 polos, I know the vast difference in quality and also know the actual wholesale costs/how pricing is set.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Haven’t seen this brought up anywhere so thought I’d drop it here. It appears there may be at least a new specialty jersey/uniform in the works this year judging on this (not so) cryptic tweet from Juanyeh. I know there were rumors last year of wearing black vs. Notre Dame, and the ticket for the ND game was black, so I’d say black is the best guess, but who really knows.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Has anybody who ordered a slouch hat from the bookstore received it yet? I ordered the white and gold one when they came out and they were immediately placed on backorder (as usual). I still haven't heard anything about when I might get them. I ordered the navy slouch hat from Fanatics and got it 2 days after I ordered it.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Has anybody who ordered a slouch hat from the bookstore received it yet? I ordered the white and gold one when they came out and they were immediately placed on backorder (as usual). I still haven't heard anything about when I might get them. I ordered the navy slouch hat from Fanatics and got it 2 days after I ordered it.
Talked with the bookstore the other day (I’m making friends there with as much as I spend!). They haven’t gotten ANY new hats from adidas since February. None of the new stuff is in, nor have expected land dates been given as of Tuesday.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
Talked with the bookstore the other day (I’m making friends there with as much as I spend!). They haven’t gotten ANY new hats from adidas since February. None of the new stuff is in, nor have expected land dates been given as of Tuesday.
To be clear, they do have most of the new Creator shirts in stock, but yes the rest of the new items are as Chris describes.