2019 Offseason Thread

Animal02

Banned
That's done for college rankings. Retention is one of the metrics.
Just another reason why the rankings are full of crap......someone decided that "Retention" is such a good thing....and schools had to change in order to get those "rankings"
Having experienced both sides of the coin......I personally like the sink or swim method. With "retention" the bad eggs that slip through make it.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Just another reason why the rankings are full of crap......someone decided that "Retention" is such a good thing....and schools had to change in order to get those "rankings"
Having experienced both sides of the coin......I personally like the sink or swim method. With "retention" the bad eggs that slip through make it.
Or a school could, you know, teach its students and try to set them up for success instead of using difficulty as an excuse to not hold their professors accountable for the teaching aspect of their job. Just a thought. I felt like a lot of the courses at Tech were more difficult than they needed to be and that I could have learned so much more if the teaching methodology had been better. In the end, I still got a great job so I can’t complain too much.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Or a school could, you know, teach its students and try to set them up for success instead of using difficulty as an excuse to not hold their professors accountable for the teaching aspect of their job. Just a thought. I felt like a lot of the courses at Tech were more difficult than they needed to be and that I could have learned so much more if the teaching methodology had been better. In the end, I still got a great job so I can’t complain too much.
I was gonna say the same.

Animal02

Banned
My issue is making it an "exclusive" entry......by allowing more in, and letting those that "want it the most" makes it more "fair" to everyone.
Maybe it is just my experience with architecture.....we started with 500, less than 50 graduated.......I saw some talented designers drop out......yet I survived and am as successful as any I went to school with (despite graduating with a 2.1) Had the program been limited to 60-70, in order to meet the current retention rate......I would likely have never been accepted into the program.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Or the student could, you know, put more effort in studying and practicing/experimenting to set themselves up for success instead of using difficulty/workload as an excuse to not hold themselves accountable for their results. I felt a lot of the courses at Tech were not as thorough or advanced as they could be and I could have learned so much more if the teaching methodology had been better.

Above is meant to be taken as tongue in cheek, but since students typically don't have uniform abilities, motivations, and/or goals, it's difficult to say if either perspective is right or wrong. That being said, I'd say a retention rate north of 95% suggests to me that a majority of the students were not developed to their full potential.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Most ships will have a sports bar onboard as well if you want to watch at sea.

Don’t count on them having it playing at the sports bar. I followed some of the cruise discussions on Facebook the last couple of years and there were a fair number of disgruntled folks finding out their game wasn’t going to be available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe it is just my experience with architecture.....we started with 500, less than 50 graduated.

My daughter was accepted into the Architecture program in 2015. Took her all of 2 weeks to decide to change majors to Computer Science. As an IT guy (Physics major) I was thrilled. She's graduating in May and has already accepted a job offer in California.

Animal02

Banned
My daughter was accepted into the Architecture program in 2015. Took her all of 2 weeks to decide to change majors to Computer Science. As an IT guy (Physics major) I was thrilled. She's graduating in May and has already accepted a job offer in California.
I would have been thrilled as well. I would not encourage anyone to enter the field.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Here is CBS Sports final grades for the 2019 college football head coaching hires. They give the hiring of Geoff Collins by Georgia Tech a grade of B. They said signing him for seven years was good because it would take that long to clear out a roster of option running backs,quarterbacks and offensive linemen. They said three of Georgia Tech's starting offensive linemen were less than 285 pounds.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ades-for-every-hire-ahead-of-the-2019-season/

Animal02

Banned
Had to share this.......
Bulldog.jpg

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I thought the NFL would find you if you’re good enough, no matter where you go to school...
I mean, he graduated from Ga Tech and decided to spend his last year of eligibility in a program with more clear immediate plans for greatness. I am all in on what CGC is building here, but he is BUILDING. Not Rebuilding (because I am not throwing shade at CPJ) but Building because he is re-configuring EVERY phase of the game.

People need to lay off the hype on using EVERY Thing that happens as a proxy for the fight they are spoiling for.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

agreed. My Dynamics prof was horrific. Only 5 out of 20 original students made it to the final. That's not 'hard' - that's Bad Teaching. My Calc IV "professor" was a TA.