2019 Offseason Thread

GT_EE78

Banned
What things are y'all looking forward to seeing during Spring Practice? I can't wait to see what the offense will be under the next OC and I can't wait to see what the next defensive alignment will be.
No more fugly blue uniforms and for everything to be as different as it can be! A new coach and team redo brings the excitement and is about as good as it gets for us GT fans. Can't wait for CGC to bring in the talent and find a way forward over the next few years.. yes,Yes more than a few completed passes are on the horizon.

slugboy

Staff member
I’ve seen a few posts looking forward to throwing more (and I think everyone has seen me ask for more throwing).

One thing I loved was seeing us running on 3rd and 3 and getting it. For some reason, I keep watching the Falcons line up in a shotgun with an empty backfield on 3rd and 2, or even 3rd and 1, and it’s painful to see.

I’d love to see us keep the things I love, like going for it on 4th and 2 from the opponent’s 40.

I’m looking forward to some bigger OTs. I think we’ll be stocked at guard and center.

I look forward to great special teams play.

I look forward to the defense getting in the backfield and tackling. I look forward to tight coverage.

I look forward to a varied snap count.

I hope to see excitement and energy, but also the discipline and precision that we had in our good years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope our new coaches are magicians.

Being a magician wouldn't be necessary if TPR did his job and recruited

All he had to do was recruit and leave the talent level the same damn way that he found it when he arrived

With all the parity in CFB due to 85 scholly limits, this upcoming 2019 GT team might be one of the least talented GT teams, since those from the Curry Era

Zero QBs with P5 arm talent

Zero OLs with height and long arms for pass blocking, our OLs look like a buncha mini T-Rexes their arms are so short

Zero returning WRs that have P5 talent

Folks gave me hell when I suggested that TStan give Coach G some leeway on "Roster Mgmt" and culling the herd, after yesterday's game, now the rest of you saw what I have seen developing over the last few yrs of TPR

Honestly it would have been better for GT FB to allow Coach G Roster Mgmt flexibility rather than give him 2 extra yrs on his first Contract

Just like I theorized when it happened, the 2 extra yrs from the AD is proof that our own AD thinks that our Roster is poorly talented

TPR came in the door and received a certain talent level, and then on his way out the door he leaves the next GT HC a much lower talent level to work with

Over the next 2 seasons TPR won't be remembered fondly, he'll be remembered as a guy with a "stylized Offense" that knew next to nothing about how to BUILD A FB PROGRAM, he was guy that knew how to call plays vs a certain talent level and then when the stakes were raised no PlanB

My theory is that history won't be kind to TPR, I'm guessing folks are starting to reassess what they thought about Chan, at least he left us with a legit P5 Roster

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

All he had to do was recruit and leave the talent level the same damn way that he found it when he arrived

With all the parity in CFB due to 85 scholly limits, this upcoming 2019 GT team might be one of the least talented GT teams, since those from the Curry Era

Zero OLs with height and long arms for pass blocking, our OLs look like a buncha mini T-Rexes their arms are so short

Folks gave me hell when I suggested that TStan give Coach G some leeway on "Roster Mgmt" and culling the herd, after yesterday's game, now the rest of you saw what I have seen developing over the last few yrs of TPR

Honestly it would have been better for GT FB to allow Coach G Roster Mgmt flexibility rather than give him 2 extra yrs on his first Contract

Just like I theorized when it happened, the 2 extra yrs from the AD is proof that our own AD thinks that our Roster is poorly talented

TPR came in the door and received a certain talent level, and then on his way out the door he leaves the next GT HC a much lower talent level to work with

Over the next 2 seasons TPR won't be remembered fondly, he'll be remembered as a guy with a "stylized Offense" that knew next to nothing about how to BUILD A FB PROGRAM, he was guy that knew how to call plays vs a certain talent level and then when the stakes were raised no PlanB

My theory is that history won't be kind to TPR, I'm guessing folks are starting to reassess what they thought about Chan, at least he left us with a legit P5 Roster
It's time to stop dividing us into camps. You've made your points. I'm sick and tired of us either trashing Johnson or poisoning the well for Collins. We can be excited for what Collins brings and give CPJ his respect for the rough 11 years he kept us respectable and got us through the challenges our program faced due to academics and funds.

I think a lot of what went wrong tonight was a team that didn’t want be there. They said as much when the bowl was announced. Shame, CPJ deserved better. Shameful how he was spoken of in the game chat regardless of the product on the field.

CGC has big shoes to fill, I hope he fairs better with the fair weather fans. One minute patting your back, next minute sticking a knife in it.

Sorry pal, I'm not gonna let you play that card, can't claim that GT didn't want to be there

Remember the Sun Bowl, when others commented that USCw didn't want to be there, folks like you were having none of that, folks like you were boasting that TPR had just beaten a "blue blood CFB Program", never mind they entered the season with only 65 schollies due to NCAA sanctions and after injuries and RS'd players only had about 50 guys available to play (like an FCS Program), noooooo, you boasted that your Genius HC had just beaten MIGHTY USC

Sorry pal, history has come full circle, and I have followed this site as a visitor and remember your comments, and you can't use the didn't want to be there excuse

Let's see, when TPR wins a bowl game he's a genius and you don't wanna hear about the other team didn't wanna be there, but when TPR loses a bowl game to Minn (a team that Recruits in the 50s), then it is OK to give TPR a soft landing by saying the ACC gave us a crappy bowl and the team didn't wanna be there

No can do

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I expect a Spring Game as ugly as CPJ's first one in 2008. I expect we will run the ball more next season than most on here believe. Defense and Special Teams will be the emphasis areas to give time for the offense to evolve over the next 2-3 years. Fortunately we seem to have an All American punter and an All ACC kicker. Defense will look like Tenuta's for the next couple of years, meaning really good QB's will pick us apart, but average ones get gutted. A season that starts with Clemson and ends with uga will give us a pretty good measure of progress (unless there are tons of injuries of the team quits on Collins like they did Gailey in 2002).

Animal02

Banned

More BS from the resident Troll. :rolleyes:

Cam

Helluva Engineer

Seriously. Let it go. The Paul Johnson era is officially over. You're borderline obsessed with trashing him with every post and it's just getting annoying. Keep it civil and be mindful that insulting players ("buncha mini t-rexes"?) is a violation of site rules. Don't get yourself banned.

Seriously. Let it go. The Paul Johnson era is officially over. You're borderline obsessed with trashing him with every post and it's just getting annoying. Keep it civil and be mindful that insulting players ("buncha mini t-rexes"?) is a violation of site rules. Don't get yourself banned.

Is that worse that what gets thrown at TQM

My bad , too late to edit, I graciously accept your input and will comply going forward

Thank you

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

TBD

FALSE

FALSE

If you are going to be critical, at least somewhat factual

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

You want to show me where the talent level is not the same? Certainly looks to me like CPJ walked in with an average recruiting ranking of 49.5 (2005-2008) and is leaving with an average recruiting ranking of 54 so far (2016-2019).

247 Recruiting Rankings:
2002 – 53 (10th in ACC)
2003 – 38 (8th in ACC)
2004 – 48 (10th in ACC)
2005 – 70 (14th in ACC)
2006 – 62 (12th in ACC)
2007 – 15 (3rd in ACC)
2008 – 51 (10th in ACC)
2009 – 41 (7th in ACC)
2010 – 43 (8th in ACC)
2011 – 43 (11th in ACC)
2012 – 53 (10th in ACC)
2013 – 70 (11th in ACC)
2015 – 44 (8th in ACC)
2016 – 60 (11th in ACC)
2017 – 48 (9th in ACC)
2018 – 54 (10th in ACC)
2019 (so far) – 54 (11th in ACC)

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Over the next 2 seasons TPR won't be remembered fondly

I have no idea with TPR means, but I am assuming it is something derogatory, so I hope you get some self satisfaction about your little inside joke. I plan on remembering CPJ for the ACC Championships, Orange Bowls, wins over UGA, and graduation rates. I am optimistic about upcoming CGC years and hope we exceed the level of success that CPJ brought us. I also understand the challenges of switching to a pro-style offense. I agree that the OL is undersized for pass blocking, but they were not recruited to pass block.

I'm guessing folks are starting to reassess what they thought about Chan, at least he left us with a legit P5 Roster

Here is what I thought (and continue to think) about Chan: He is a good man but just not made for college football. He hitched his wagon to Reggie Ball and for better and worse had to live with it. I was there for the wins against Auburn and the comeback against Clemson which were great, but also for 51-7 in Athens which was unacceptable. He never had a win against UGA, lost his only shot at an ACC championship to Wake with Calvin Johnson on the field, and never lost less than 5 games a season. All with "a legit P5 Roster." I also remember that we got put on probation for using academically ineligible players (started under O'Leary and continued under Gailey).

You can dislike the offense, but CPJ is a man of character who told the truth and acted with integrity. He and the Institute made a commitment to these athletes and should see it through. The students may choose to leave on their own, but no coach should pull a scholarship or push someone off the team just because they do not fit perfectly into the new system. TStan knows this. It goes against the Total Person concept he has brought back to the Institute. If you would like to throw out integrity and growing successful student athletes for the sake of winning football games, maybe you should root for another team. There is a team to the west of us that regularly does and that wins at a rate that I think you find acceptable.

Again, I am looking forward to the CGC years and it appears he is bringing some much needed new energy to The Flats. I hope he can keep the momentum going! Go Jackets!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I expect a Spring Game as ugly as CPJ's first one in 2008. I expect we will run the ball more next season than most on here believe. Defense and Special Teams will be the emphasis areas to give time for the offense to evolve over the next 2-3 years. Fortunately we seem to have an All American punter and an All ACC kicker. Defense will look like Tenuta's for the next couple of years, meaning really good QB's will pick us apart, but average ones get gutted. A season that starts with Clemson and ends with uga will give us a pretty good measure of progress (unless there are tons of injuries of the team quits on Collins like they did Gailey in 2002).

I fully expect to be 17 UGA with run:pass ratio around 75/25

gtg845w

Jolly Good Fellow
You want to show me where the talent level is not the same? Certainly looks to me like CPJ walked in with an average recruiting ranking of 49.5 (2005-2008) and is leaving with an average recruiting ranking of 54 so far (2016-2019).

247 Recruiting Rankings:
2002 – 53 (10th in ACC)
2003 – 38 (8th in ACC)
2004 – 48 (10th in ACC)
2005 – 70 (14th in ACC)
2006 – 62 (12th in ACC)
2007 – 15 (3rd in ACC)
2008 – 51 (10th in ACC)
2009 – 41 (7th in ACC)
2010 – 43 (8th in ACC)
2011 – 43 (11th in ACC)
2012 – 53 (10th in ACC)
2013 – 70 (11th in ACC)
2015 – 44 (8th in ACC)
2016 – 60 (11th in ACC)
2017 – 48 (9th in ACC)
2018 – 54 (10th in ACC)
2019 (so far) – 54 (11th in ACC)

Funny how the best year above was with Geoff Collins doing his recruiting thing, hopefully this isn't just ironic...

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Things I’d like to see: A slant or 10 yard pass, especially when it’s 4 yards to go for a first down. Not all defenders lined up within 7 yards of the line of scrimmage. QB not running for his life every time he drops back to pass. Defenders who wrap up when tackling. LB’s - where are they? CB’s and safeties who turn to find the ball on pass plays. Our kickoffs going in the end zone. Consistency punting.

Those are a good start...