2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament - Nat'l Seed Watch

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FSU wouldn’t be “sneaking” in if the season ended today. They’d be in.

UNC had a late rally that fell short too.

It the season ended today, FSU with a 66 rpi after a loss to Stetson (211 rpi) would not be in. (What's the lowest rpi team to ever get an at large bid? I don't think it's above 50 or so but that is from *old* memory.) They may sneak in if they get to a 18-12 ACC record - by taking the series @L'Ville. They won't get in on an rpi basis since they have run out of games only have @ L'Ville and Richmond (164 rpi) @ home. Of course, they **could** win the ACC Tourney as unicorns leave my body. If they are awarded a lifetime award gift bid, it will show that past accomplishments matter a lot.

ACC losers last night - FSU, Duke v Liberty, @UNC, @VT, @Miami v UCF. Clemson did beat El Cid (The Citadel). Sigh. UNC and VT losses were probable, rest were not.

Duke rpi down to 45. We probably have to win that series to remain National Seed. Lose it and it'll take getting to ACC Championship game maybe. Nice that they played Wednesday and get us on Friday although they probably didn't burn any pitchers good pitchers in the loss from the entire series. Just. Win. Friday.

ugag lost 9-8 @ Jax St in 11. Hope they burned some pitchers and lose all weekend @Auburn. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Deleted member 2897

It the season ended today, FSU with a 66 rpi after a loss to Stetson (211 rpi) would not be in. (What's the lowest rpi team to ever get an at large bid? I don't think it's above 50 or so but that is from *old* memory.) They may sneak in if they get to a 18-12 ACC record - by taking the series @L'Ville. They won't get in on an rpi basis since they have run out of games only have @ L'Ville and Richmond (164 rpi) @ home. Of course, they **could** win the ACC Tourney as unicorns leave my body. If they are awarded a lifetime award gift bid, it will show that past accomplishments matter a lot.

ACC losers last night - FSU, Duke v Liberty, @UNC, @VT, @Miami v UCF. Clemson did beat El Cid (The Citadel). Sigh. UNC and VT losses were probable, rest were not.

Duke rpi down to 45. We probably have to win that series to remain National Seed. Lose it and it'll take getting to ACC Championship game maybe. Nice that they played Wednesday and get us on Friday although they probably didn't burn any pitchers good pitchers in the loss from the entire series. Just. Win. Friday.

ugag lost 9-8 @ Jax St in 11. Hope they burned some pitchers and lose all weekend @Auburn. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yet UGA is still high in RPI. Must be a big road factor. Also meaning, the series win or sweet by us will be huge in that regard. It feels like any good play like that could move us up a few spots.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
RPI update: We're sitting at RPI 9. As it stands, 1-5 are separating themselves, and 6-10 are sort of the next cluster in the battle for top 8.

Two series remain, Dook (currently RPI 45) and Pitt (currently RPI 212). Winning today gets us +19 points, losing and we're -30. We might be able to move up a spot to 8, but even winning out the rest of the year and we probably fall out of the top 8. Will either need some help with other teams losing, or hope the committee looks past RPI and takes the rest of our resume into account.

My question: does anyone know the history on this? I don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but how often do they just take the top 8? How low of and RPI has that #8 national seed gone to?

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2019/team-impact?team=Georgia-Tech

Deleted member 2897

RPI update: We're sitting at RPI 9. As it stands, 1-5 are separating themselves, and 6-10 are sort of the next cluster in the battle for top 8.

Two series remain, Dook (currently RPI 45) and Pitt (currently RPI 212). Winning today gets us +19 points, losing and we're -30. We might be able to move up a spot to 8, but even winning out the rest of the year and we probably fall out of the top 8. Will either need some help with other teams losing, or hope the committee looks past RPI and takes the rest of our resume into account.

My question: does anyone know the history on this? I don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but how often do they just take the top 8? How low of and RPI has that #8 national seed gone to?

Well, keep in mind the polls can vary widely from RPI. For example, D1 has Stanford at #2, Baseball America has Stanford at #3. RPI has them at #22.

D1 has Georgia Tech at #7, Baseball America has us at #10, and RPI has us at #9.

If we have a semi-reasonable 5-2 finish, we might need to win the ACC Tournament or finish 2nd to get into the top 8. If we go 7-0 or 6-1, a 2nd place finish in the ACC Tournament might get us there. But either way, there are so many good teams in that gaggle you point out, that we're going to need to have both a good finish to the regular season and a good finish in the ACC Tournament.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

The big question... yes. I think the Coastal winner, if 19-11 or better, will be top8 seed. Putting to ACC teams (Louisville the other) as top8.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I think if we win the Coastal and probably 2 games in the ACC tournament, we will be a top 8 seed.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
UCLA lost to an 11-34 team yesterday so Vandy took over #1. dwags are vs a turrble Jax St team, so that will hurt if it sticks, as will MSU. #6 ECU is about to lose to UNC. Louisville lost to Vandy last night. Miami is about to lose to UCF. Lots of teams around us in RPI could back up tonight.
??? UCLA won

Deleted member 2897

**ALERT ALERT** Conflicting info on the Swarm. My source says UCLA lost on Sun & won on Tues.

His response was to my post that UCLA lost to 11-34 UC something or other on Tuesday, which did not actually happen. They won in 12 innings. But I wouldn't just make that up, so my guess is I happened upon the score at the end of regulation and some weird typo or something happened to be there at the time.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
His response was to my post that UCLA lost to 11-34 UC something or other on Tuesday, which did not actually happen. They won in 12 innings. But I wouldn't just make that up, so my guess is I happened upon the score at the end of regulation and some weird typo or something happened to be there at the time.
Stuff Happens!

Deleted member 2897

Louisville down 7 runs in 7th.

Tennessee losing.

Texas Tech isle.

Georgia/MissSt/Arkansas winning.

If Louisville loses, I would think we pass them into 7th.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 2897

We are now 7th in RPI. L'ville lost to UVA 12-6 and lost the series 2-1 today.

Holy cow balls. Louisville is 19-8. We are 17-9.

We have 1 @ Duke and 3 home vs Pitt.
They have 3 home vs FSU.

We beat Duke tomorrow and we’re 18-9, behind by 1 game. A sweep then of Pitt and they go 2-1 against FSU and we win the Coastal and the entire ACC.

I’m saying there’s a chance.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Holy cow balls. Louisville is 19-8. We are 17-9.

We have 1 @ Duke and 3 home vs Pitt.
They have 3 home vs FSU.

We beat Duke tomorrow and we’re 18-9, behind by 1 game. A sweep then of Pitt and they go 2-1 against FSU and we win the Coastal and the entire ACC.

I’m saying there’s a chance.
OR... game is rained out tomorrow, sweep PITT. At 20-9... that's better than 20-10. just another scenario.