2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament - Atlanta Regional

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I have real concerns about game today. We didn't hit well overall in our last 2 games and Auburn seems to have saved their ace Burns for us today. Did he pitch when we played them this season?

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Nobodys pitching their ace in a midweek game.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
That makes no sense. Both teams played as home teams yesterday. Tech should be home due to higher seed.
It was a coin flip. There's a whole procedure to determine home team. I'll try to dig that up.

Edit... source not verified but here is procedure

For the initial regional rounds of the tournament, the higher seeded team is always the home team. Once the initial regional round is completed, the NCAA uses the following three step process:

Step 1) The team has been the home team fewer times during the tournament becomes the home team.

Step 2) If both teams were the home team the same number of times, count the number of times each team was the visiting team during the tournament. The team that was the visiting team more often during the tournament becomes the home team.

Step 3) If both teams were the home team and visiting team the same number of times and the teams met previously during the tournament, the visitor in the immediately preceding game between the two teams becomes the home team.

Step 4) If both teams were the home team and visiting team the same number of times and the teams did not previously meet during the tournament, the team that was the visitor in its most recent, preceding game becomes the home team.

Step 5) If both teams were the home team and visiting team the same number of times, the teams did not previously meet during the tournament, and both teams were the visitor (or home team) in their most recent, preceding game, then the home team is decided by a coin flip.

Deleted member 2897

We have 7 starters batting better than 0.300. Auburn has 0. In fact, they only have 2 guys over 0.275. (Prior to yesterday’s game.)

I hope this one plays out as it should and we win 7-2.

While we are makings asks from the heavens above, I’ll take 7 runs for us in the 1st and they can have their 2 runs in their last at-bat please and thank you.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We have 7 starters batting better than 0.300. Auburn has 0. In fact, they only have 2 guys over 0.275. (Prior to yesterday’s game.)

I hope this one plays out as it should and we win 7-2.

I hope you're right, but here are some stats to consider as well

STARTERS
Tanner Burns WHIP 1.04 Connor Thomas WHIP 1.21
RELIEVERS
Cody Greenhill WHIP 1.16 Tristan English WHIP 1.13
Brooks Fuller WHIP 1.68 Micah Carpenter WHIP 1.69

The whole key to this game is how Burns' shoulder is....he has had to miss a couple of starts and shorten a couple of starts due to sore shoulder. If he can throw 95 pitches (something he has done 10 times this season...but only once since April 19) then this should be a tough competitive game (assuming Connor is on his game as well).

Pitching usually beats hitting at this level, so our gaudy hitting stats don't matter much...it is the pitching stats that matter more, imho.

But, it is baseball, which is the least predictable sport, so ....who knows? GO JACKETS!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Help me out. Historically, I have been unable to stream thru ESPN app any SEC NETWORK stuff as my cable subscription does not include that particular ESPN channel. I get ESPN, ESPNU & ESPN2. I just scanned all 32 games scheduled today. Only ONE is being broadcast on SEC NETWORK. 31 are ESPNU, ESPN2 (or ESPN3...stream only). I'm hoping there is some sort of special situation (NCAA tournament... not SEC exclusive) here that I'll be able to stream Tech v Auburn.

Anyone have any idea? I'm not hopeful... & I'm in a position to head to local sports bar; but I'd rather stay home.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are definitely the favorite: 10 rpi points for a win and -39 for a loss. But that's probably only a 60/40 chance to win.

Need Waddell at 90-100%.

From AJC article, in last three years 38 of 48 times (79%) the winner of the winner's bracket has gone on to win the regional.

Any X sightings?

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Definitely worried about this game today. Feels like a Duke-esque trap game during football season.... need big days at the plate from McCann and Radcliff. I hope Baron can snap out of his slump and put some bombs into traffic.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Definitely worried about this game today. Feels like a Duke-esque trap game during football season.... need big days at the plate from McCann and Radcliff. I hope Baron can snap out of his slump and put some bombs into traffic.
I guess my definition of a trap game is different. We already won the trap game 13-2. Tonight's game is winner's bracket game of #1 v #2 in regional. Two quality pitchers. Two quality teams. We should be embracing the challenge. We're right where we want to be. Progressing through this tournament is not easy. Let's just win the next one! We're capable. If we happen to lose... it won't be to a lesser opponent...not tonight!

Go Jackets!!

Deleted member 2897

I guess my definition of a trap game is different. We already won the trap game 13-2. Tonight's game is winner's bracket game of #1 v #2 in regional. Two quality pitchers. Two quality teams. We should be embracing the challenge. We're right where we want to be. Progressing through this tournament is not easy. Let's just win the next one! We're capable. If we happen to lose... it won't be to a lesser opponent...not tonight!

Go Jackets!!

Exactly. To be the best, you have to beat the best. We are probably done playing any more bad teams. From here on out any team could win. Our ranking can't put is into the Super Regional or to Omaha - we have to beat great teams to keep moving on.