2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament - Atlanta Regional

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
We did not “essentially have zero depth on offense”.

Baseball isn’t like football, you don’t need 21 great batters. We actually had more depth than anyone in the country sans Vandy.
You don't need 21, but you do need 11-12 to rotate in for matchups, to cover for injuries, and to give a guy a break when he's in a big slump and needs a day off to watch and relax. There's a reason nobody in MLB comes close to playing 162 games anymore. The best teams in the majors usually have a rotation of 10-11 players in their daily starting lineup.

Not counting Serratos who left and Murray (who seemed to be mysteriously absent), we had a grand total of 7 hits all year outside of our starting 9, and one of those was from Micah Carpenter. Yes, we essentially had zero depth coming off the bench on offense.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Look , it was a great season , I much rather have seasons like this than a 10 win season , & the future should be good , but why can’t some of y’all just come out & say that we really wet the bed this weekend & blew a golden opportunity , instead y’all blame injuries or not being the home team . Like I said before , this isn’t the first time this has happened , we’ve lost many many times at Russ chandler when being the #1 seed & being very highly ranked ! It’s very disappointing & confusing

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Georgia was ranked ahead of us all season long and still are. They lost their Region to FSU. It happens in baseball. Auburn is #13 and FSU is #35. The #2 over there FAU is #39. And Georgia lost. Against much easier opposite seeds.
Uga also has a natty & more cws appearances than us, I know upsets happen from all the parity but it’s happened to us more than anyone else it seems & I think hall is responsible

Deleted member 2897

Look , it was a great season , I much rather have seasons like this than a 10 win season , & the future should be good , but why can’t some of y’all just come out & say that we really wet the bed this weekend & blew a golden opportunity , instead y’all blame injuries or not being the home team . Like I said before , this isn’t the first time this has happened , we’ve lost many many times at Russ chandler when being the #1 seed & being very highly ranked ! It’s very disappointing & confusing

Why won’t I join you in your criticizing of the team? No thank you. It was disappointing, we didn’t play well, but it was a great season otherwise. Baseball is a crazy game.

Not speaking to you, I’m just continuing a thought...but a bunch of you spewing negativity who haven’t been on here all season - I would encourage you to join us before the last couple of games. There was a lot of great play and great moments this year. I think it would help provide you a much more healthy and happy remembrance if the season than just just jumping in at the end.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I would not go as far as to say "wet the bed" or "blowing it". I do think there is a premium on pitching depth to power through a regional. This is why UNC, for example, seems to do really well in post-season.

So... injuries to Hurter & Curry could have been the difference this year. Had CT managed to get that final strike last night, I believe we win the regional. We were so close... even with pitching being as thin as it was.

I couldn't care less about the home team rules.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
You don't need 21, but you do need 11-12 to rotate in for matchups, to cover for injuries, and to give a guy a break when he's in a big slump and needs a day off to watch and relax. There's a reason nobody in MLB comes close to playing 162 games anymore. The best teams in the majors usually have a rotation of 10-11 players in their daily starting lineup.

Not counting Serratos who left and Murray (who seemed to be mysteriously absent), we had a grand total of 7 hits all year outside of our starting 9, and one of those was from Micah Carpenter. Yes, we essentially had zero depth coming off the bench on offense.

I don't know that we didn't have depth. We just never had to use it. We were healthy and productive pretty much all year 1-9.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
I would not go as far as to say "wet the bed" or "blowing it". I do think there is a premium on pitching depth to power through a regional. This is why UNC, for example, seems to do really well in post-season.

So... injuries to Hurter & Curry could have been the difference this year. Had CT managed to get that final strike last night, I believe we win the regional. We were so close... even with pitching being as thin as it was.

Agree completely and I think that's why this hurts more than almost any other season. Last year, we didn't even make the tourney even though we had outstanding 2 starters in Curry and Thomas. Lack of depth in the bullpen killed us. Then this year, it looked like we had greatly improved it with a starting 5 of Curry, Thomas, Hurter, Willingham, and Roedig. A few early season problems in the bullpen flared, but it still seemed like it could be deep enough with English, Hughes, Chapman, and Bartnicki. Then those 2 huge injuries and we lose our chance again, this time with probably our best pitching depth in many years.

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
We will never win a regional as long as DH is still the coach!!!! Majority of these kids win national championships every year with the ECB Yankees and then come to Tech and cant even make it out of a regional. Our seniors ( #4 overall recruiting class in nation) won 3 TOTAL GAMES in the NCAA tournament in 4 years and two of those games were against 4 seeds! let that sink in!!

James Ramsey should have won coach of the year, not DH!!!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why won’t I join you in your criticizing of the team? No thank you. It was disappointing, we didn’t play well, but it was a great season otherwise. Baseball is a crazy game.

Not speaking to you, I’m just continuing a thought...but a bunch of you spewing negativity who haven’t been on here all season - I would encourage you to join us before the last couple of games. There was a lot of great play and great moments this year. I think it would help provide you a much more healthy and happy remembrance if the season than just just jumping in at the end.
Careful what you wish for @bwelbo .... it would read we "failed to sweep" 9 ACC series in a row... 10 actually. WHY??!?

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck

When you’re the #3 overall team & you don’t make it to super regionals it’s blowing it

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I enjoyed watching our Jackets play in this Regional. They came up just short against Auburn, but they battled back to win a come-from-behind elimination game against a good Coastal Carolina team to stay in it.

My vote for the MVP of the Atlanta Regional goes to Tristin English, hands down. This Jacket is just an unbelievable baseball player. He was a joy for all to watch!

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
As I’ve said before, it’s hard to beat a good team over and over, especially after they get something to rally around like their announcer. Auburn shouldn’t have been in our regional. We already played them twice this year and they had a very strong RPI. Not sure what the committee was thinking, but Tennessee would’ve been a better draw for us or FAU. How does uGA get a weaker 2 seed than us when we have a higher national seed?

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Understood. But he was still sharp in the 9th. There was no sign of him losing anything. The two runners were flukish rather than CT wearing down. He was still dominating the batters, including the guy who won the game for Auburn.
Don't get me wrong. I agree with the decision to leave him in, pitch count was OK and was pitching great, not being critical of him pitching the 9th. He pitched one hell of a game, loved watching him. Just don't like to see celebrations before the last out is made. Baseball is such a head game, especially pitching.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I enjoyed watching our Jackets play in this Regional. They came up just short against Auburn, but they battled back to win a come-from-behind elimination game against a good Coastal Carolina team to stay in it.

My vote for the MVP of the Atlanta Regional goes to Tristin English, hands down. This Jacket is just an unbelievable baseball player. He was a joy for all to watch!

Not thinking it should go to Steven Williams is insane.

Deleted member 2897

As I’ve said before, it’s hard to beat a good team over and over, especially after they get something to rally around like their announcer. Auburn shouldn’t have been in our regional. We already played them twice this year and they had a very strong RPI. Not sure what the committee was thinking, but Tennessee would’ve been a better draw for us or FAU. How does uGA get a weaker 2 seed than us when we have a higher national seed?

Our 2 seed Auburn is currently #13 while Georgia’s 2 seed FAU is #39. Just so many weird things that the NCAA does in baseball, like not giving the better seed host team the home team slot. To be great and go for a National Championship you have to beat the best at some point anyway.

With all the top teams that went down and into the losers bracket (wasn’t it like half the hosts), the NCAA should really take a look at some of the stuff they do.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Perhaps we were seeded wrong? Maybe, to some with influence or a macabre sense of B.S., the seeding is more important than the results?

How is CDH ‘s contract structured?

Heck, CPJ got a bonus for the crapshow in Detroit.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Insane? His only 2 hits were big time against us, but English not only went on an offensive spree, he closed a game out from the hill with 3 shutout innings. I think the 2 way work tops Williams.

2 hits? He was 6 of 13 with 10 RBI, including the walkoff to essentially win the regional.