2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament - Atlanta Regional

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
He was 2 for 8 against us. He feasted on CC. Don't get me wrong. Big time performance, but English had a better comprehensive performance. Coming off 1B to throw 3 shutout innings to close a game is not a task Williams had to perform.

By that measure, so did Tristin. He went 7 of 8 I think against the 3 and 4 seeds. He had a great performance, but to the the victor to the spoils. Sometimes a hit in a critical situation is worth 3 sometime else. His one swing with two strikes put the regional away.

Deleted member 2897

Depends on what the definition of the award is. If its for the single best swing, then you have to give him the award. If its for being the best overall most impactful player in the Region, then you have to look at their whole body of work.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
By that measure, so did Tristin. He went 7 of 8 I think against the 3 and 4 seeds. He had a great performance, but to the the victor to the spoils. Sometimes a hit in a critical situation is worth 3 sometime else. His one swing with two strikes put the regional away.

He went 3 for 6 against AU with a bomb and 3 runs (sorry, read box score wrong) If you think MVP has to always go to someone on the winning team, that's the only argument you have.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
He went 3 for 6 against AU with a bomb and 3 rbis. If you think MVP has to always go to someone on the winning team, that's the only argument you have.

My argument is that the team that goes 2-0 wins the regional about 80% of the time. If you're 1-1, you have about a 10% chance of winning the regional. He sent his team from a 10% to 80% chance in one swing. If that's not the 'most impactful player in the Region', then, well, I don't know what is. He could've golden sombrero-ed the rest of his games, and he'd still be MVP.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
My argument is that the team that goes 2-0 wins the regional about 80% of the time. If you're 1-1, you have about a 10% chance of winning the regional. He sent his team from a 10% to 80% chance in one swing. If that's not the 'most impactful player in the Region', then, well, I don't know what is. He could've golden sombrero-ed the rest of his games, and he'd still be MVP.
And my argument is what about Auburn's two nobody pitchers, one with a 7+ era, who showed up and shut down one of the hottest hitting lineups in the country? The walk-off homer is an exciting play. It doesn't mean a player was the most valuable for the series to his team. If the guy who stepped up for the sore-armed starter in game 1 doesn't shut us down, HR is meaningless.

Deleted member 2897

You have a valid point. I just don’t think that’s what the award represents.

Otherwise you could make an argument for the guy who walks in and throws 1 strike to end the game.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You have a valid point. I just don’t think that’s what the award represents.

Otherwise you could make an argument for the guy who walks in and throws 1 strike to end the game.

There’s no way one strike ever increases a team’s chances of wining a tournament 8 fold.

Deleted member 2897

There’s no way one strike ever increases a team’s chances of wining a tournament 8 fold.

Well now the argument is changing.

Is it whatever play has the biggest change to an odds of winning? That’s kind of a weird way to give an MVP award.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well now the argument is changing.

Is it whatever play has the biggest change to an odds of winning? That’s kind of a weird way to give an MVP award.

He nearly single-handedly won the entire tournament for his team. If you think that's a weird way to give an MVP award, we should probably just stop debating. He had 7 RBIs even not including the walkoff HR, you know.

Deleted member 2897

He nearly single-handedly won the entire tournament for his team. If you think that's a weird way to give an MVP award, we should probably just stop debating. He had 7 RBIs even not including the walkoff HR, you know.

I don't think that's weird. I think the other stuff is weird.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I think you guys are rehashing the ye olde MVP debate that happens a lot in MLB which usually hinges on how you define the word valuable in this context. I think either guy would be a fine choice.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
And you're arguing that a player that had more hits, more rbis, a better average than your guy, and pitched 3 shutout innings to allow a come-from-behind win to keep his team in the tournament, in reality a more crucial moment, (plus sold popcorn and peanuts, took up tickets and made the Gatorade for the cooler too probably) has no business being MVP. You're original foray into this discussion was to say that suggesting anybody other than your guy was "insane". You also keep trying to turn it back to all one swing of the bat winning the tournament. It was game 1 that swing won and merely put Auburn in the winner's bracket. I would argue the pitching performances of Fitts and Horn who did a little more than one swing top or equal Williams's. Each got 18 outs without surrendering a run against a smoking hot offensive team. Williams, on the other hand, hit a hanging slider off a pitcher in the 9th who shouldn't have been in there. But the MVP award apparently goes to the guy who made the most exciting play at the right time for the team that won the tournament. I just don't understand the award the way you do.