2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament - Atlanta Regional

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Poorly coached fundamentals lose all the time. Danny hall should be done but since tech fans don’t care about winning we will see the same stuff until he steps down

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Coach Hall took an unranked team, picked 5th in Coastal to a #3 overall seed.

2019 was different... Hall was different.
People who haven't posted all year will complain from their parents' basement when things don't turn out great.

Disappointed with the ending, but a heck of a season. I'm so proud of this team. They never quit and had one of the more fun years that I can remember. We'll see what the draft does this week, but I'm feeling good about next year right now.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

I'm not a big Hall fan as you all likely know. However, losing 2 starters and another guy that was going to be a key cog from the bullpen is tough for anyone. I personally would've put in English last night but it's over and done with now. The baserunning gaffes were the biggest annoyance to me. Blowing several tag-ups and getting doubled off, etc...

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

So really if, for some reason, our coach of 26 seasons had folks thinking we were really, really bad (say 10th in ACC preseason) then we could celebrate this even more?

But, just for myself, if we end up on the plus side of the ledger vs ugag - that is the most important thing to me.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
It's hard to overstate the fact they lost 2 of their top 3 starters in April. That was such a blow to depth this weekend. Even if the first 2 games had the same result, imagine the difference in pitching depth if you had Willingham and Hurter ready to start today. And in all likelihood, if you know you do have that depth, you don't worry about saving English last night and he likely closes out the win.

You obviously want to go as far as possible. But since Curry was clearly done several weeks ago, it's hard to see them making the run we wanted them to have even if they had gotten the breaks and fundamentals this weekend.

Deleted member 2897

We lost fair and square, but I just dont understand the NCAA. Forced to be the away team last night, and how do we draw Auburn in the first round anyway? There are 16 Reguonals. As the 3rd 1 seed, we should have had the 3rd from the worst 2 seed. That should be the #29 team. Not sure how we draw a team in the mid teens. Makes no sense.

Our RPI is currently #11 and they are #13. It reflects the last couple games yes, but that’s just a weird draw to me in round 1. And then to be made to be the away team on top of that.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
We lost fair and square, but I just dont understand the NCAA. Forced to be the away team last night, and how do we draw Auburn in the first round anyway? There are 16 Reguonals. As the 3rd 1 seed, we should have had the 3rd from the worst 2 seed. That should be the #29 team. Not sure how we draw a team in the mid teens. Makes no sense.

Our RPI is currently #11 and they are #13. It reflects the last couple games yes, but that’s just a weird draw to me in round 1. And then to be made to be the away team on top of that.

As soon as I saw Auburn there, I knew it was a bad setup. Such close proximity to Atlanta with lots of alumni in the city to negate the home field advantage. Plus, they had the emotional lift of being the first games of any sport since their broadcaster died. Hard to quantify that, but I sure didn't like it. Would have much preferred one of those Big 10 2 seeds that they never seem to send to the South.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck

We lost a coin flip for home team

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

The candy azz days of Dodd scheduling are over - we can not be the home team every freaking game.

It is in the damn rules of the tournament. It applied to a whole bunch of teams - not just poor ole us.

Some are acting like the home team gets another 1/2 inning at bat.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

I thought we had an unfortunate regional from the start. Drawing coastal carolina and auburn was rough. We still were the better team in three of our games, sadly one of them we blew at the end.

Baseball is such a gross sport. Key hitters slump and the wrong time and it can end a season.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
So really if, for some reason, our coach of 26 seasons had folks thinking we were really, really bad (say 10th in ACC preseason) then we could celebrate this even more?

But, just for myself, if we end up on the plus side of the ledger vs ugag - that is the most important thing to me.
Not sure understand your premise. The coach doesn't make us think anything... as least not preseason rankings. We were unranked. We won 44 games (I think). Lost less than 20. That is outstanding... top10 stuff. I can't just dismiss all that over this weekend.

Take a look at the bracket. Quite a few top 10 quality well coached programs are done too.

It happens in baseball... more than other sports. Just the way it is.