2019 GT Official Color Debate (formerly Adidas Swag Watch 2019 **

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Dear Lord, an informative post about our strategy then one guy asks about colors then the whole thread is about colors.

Can we have another forum just for colors? So we can have Football, Basketball, Baseball aaaaaand Color Talk.

Enough is enough.

Why are you guys complaining about the chat here being about colors, when that's what this particular thread is all about? Note the name of the thread --- 2019 GT Official Color Debate. DUHHH
I heard the background is gray/silver because that's BMW's color, and, if you will note, there almost as many BMW logos on there as there are GT's.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Why are you guys complaining about the chat here being about colors, when that's what this particular thread is all about? Note the name of the thread --- 2019 GT Official Color Debate. DUHHH
I heard the background is gray/silver because that's BMW's color, and, if you will note, there almost as many BMW logos on there as there are GT's.

Posts got moved from another thread :D

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Looks like the mods may have moved a long string of posts from the Clemson week thread. I made a comment above about bourbon and pinner. That was there but ended up here. Caught in all the color debating shenanigans you kids cause haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Getting a bottle of pure Kentucky and a 6 pack of pinner for the game.

This got caught up in the great migration of posts so I might as well say it..

I drink pinner because I like it, but I drink it on game day because #ThatGoldThough
874e63df25e5464985055623c7de614e.jpg

Looks like the mods may have moved a long string of posts from the Clemson week thread. I made a comment above about bourbon and pinner. That was there but ended up here. Caught in all the color debating shenanigans you kids cause haha

I guess you are including me as one of the "kids". Thanks. Though totally inappropriate, I AM just a kid at heart. LOL

From Facebook
532516e613eb1f59d96a6c8f089dcb6d.jpg

And yet CGC is wearing blue. WOW.

I know how much you guys hate hearing me say this, and I am not trying to hijack the thread, but damn, it was so nice to go to a stadium where the fans actually wear their primary school color to the games, without worrying about whether it "looks good on me" or not, or other such nonsense. One Clemson lady in the group I tailgated with said she hated orange, but she ALWAYS wears it to the games. And I bet at least 95% of the Clemson fans there last night were in orange. Sure would be nice if Tech fans had that mindset.

This will be the last post of yours I will read for awhile. Get over it.
If you are not disgusted by an ad for school colors day, in which the White and Gold are displayed on a beautiful backdrop, while the coach (or whoever might be there) is wearing some other color which is not and never has been a primary color for the school, then I frankly don't care whether you read my posts or not. I will never stop railing against the obvious stupidity of the GTAA marketing people, who obviously don't have a clue, or maybe they just don't give a damn. As I said in my post, if Clemson fans can fill a stadium wearing that god-awful color orange, then Tech fans for damn sure should be able to fill a stadium wearing gold.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
If you are not disgusted by an ad for school colors day, in which the White and Gold are displayed on a beautiful backdrop, while the coach (or whoever might be there) is wearing some other color which is not and never has been a primary color for the school, then I frankly don't care whether you read my posts or not. I will never stop railing against the obvious stupidity of the GTAA marketing people, who obviously don't have a clue, or maybe they just don't give a damn. As I said in my post, if Clemson fans can fill a stadium wearing that god-awful color orange, then Tech fans for damn sure should be able to fill a stadium wearing gold.

I agree in principle with most everything you have said on this. But I also don't see it as that big of a deal, either (college colors ad with Coach Collins aside...that one is stupid). Navy blue is very well liked by most fans, and IS a color that most people prefer to wear daily. When people buy apparel, they do consider whether it's something they can wear daily as part of its value. Just walk around Tech campus and look at the students....I just did this a few weeks ago. The vast, vast majority of Tech branded apparel I saw worn was navy. Solid gold is just not a color people want to wear outside of game day. And look at it from an apparel company's point of view if that is the case...the vast majority of people wanting gold are the ones going to the games. IF, and that's a BIG IF, we filled the stadium completely....it's less than 60,000 people. That's not a big market for gold.

Again, I'm speaking from the point of view of an apparel maker, not a fan. I love gold gear. But, with the convos I've had with apparel reps that do also make licensed gear, I also understand the business side of it. When you're working with reps and see lots of licensed collegiate gear (golf and collegiate gear does actually have a big crossover demographic) and you don't see much, and most of the time no Tech gear and ask about it, and are told "Tech gear doesn't sell...we always have to close it out", THEN think about the even lower mass appeal of all gold apparel, you'll come to have a greater understanding of why there's not a lot of all gold Tech stuff out there.

It's simple business. If Coach Collins' marketing works, and our fanbase grows, AND the Institute pushes the story of the proper colors to those fans, we will see the availability of proper white/gold stuff increase. That's the only way. We as a group of white/gold/no navy people are simply not a large enough of a group to matter.

Simple math.

I agree in principle with most everything you have said on this. But I also don't see it as that big of a deal, either (college colors ad with Coach Collins aside...that one is stupid). Navy blue is very well liked by most fans, and IS a color that most people prefer to wear daily. When people buy apparel, they do consider whether it's something they can wear daily as part of its value. Just walk around Tech campus and look at the students....I just did this a few weeks ago. The vast, vast majority of Tech branded apparel I saw worn was navy. Solid gold is just not a color people want to wear outside of game day. And look at it from an apparel company's point of view if that is the case...the vast majority of people wanting gold are the ones going to the games. IF, and that's a BIG IF, we filled the stadium completely....it's less than 60,000 people. That's not a big market for gold.

Again, I'm speaking from the point of view of an apparel maker, not a fan. I love gold gear. But, with the convos I've had with apparel reps that do also make licensed gear, I also understand the business side of it. When you're working with reps and see lots of licensed collegiate gear (golf and collegiate gear does actually have a big crossover demographic) and you don't see much, and most of the time no Tech gear and ask about it, and are told "Tech gear doesn't sell...we always have to close it out", THEN think about the even lower mass appeal of all gold apparel, you'll come to have a greater understanding of why there's not a lot of all gold Tech stuff out there.

It's simple business. If Coach Collins' marketing works, and our fanbase grows, AND the Institute pushes the story of the proper colors to those fans, we will see the availability of proper white/gold stuff increase. That's the only way. We as a group of white/gold/no navy people are simply not a large enough of a group to matter.

Simple math.
If people want to wear blue or whatever other color they think looks better on them during the week, then that's fine; I really don't care. But it does strike me strange that Tech fans can be so picky. Clemson fans wear those ugly orange shirts 7 days a week, never worrying about what they look like. Similarly, even though I hate giving them credit for anything, Georgia fans wear bright red shirts 7 days a week too. I guess Tech fans are just more "fashion conscious" than "fan conscious," and it just makes no sense. It is what it is, I guess, but when it's game time, whether it's football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, softball, whatever, all we should see is gold and white.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Never seen a fanbase hate on their own colors so much. It's just strange. For the game this weekend we are wearing white and blue helmets, just another example of not following the branding at all

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
If people want to wear blue or whatever other color they think looks better on them during the week, then that's fine; I really don't care. But it does strike me strange that Tech fans can be so picky. Clemson fans wear those ugly orange shirts 7 days a week, never worrying about what they look like. Similarly, even though I hate giving them credit for anything, Georgia fans wear bright red shirts 7 days a week too. I guess Tech fans are just more "fashion conscious" than "fan conscious," and it just makes no sense. It is what it is, I guess, but when it's game time, whether it's football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, softball, whatever, all we should see is gold and white.

There is a big difference in a Tech fan and a Clemson (or UGA or Alabama) fan. Those teams are "cool" to be a fan of. You don't catch much hell wearing Clemson colors, same as you don't with UGA. The fan bases are huge. Just watch ANY Clemson or UGA game when they don't play in their own stadium. They make away games into home games basically. We can't fill a 60K stadium, and they have people they have to turn away. It's much more widely accepted and quite frankly popluar to wear those colors. There's excitement about them. Heck, even a good portion of our own students don't give one rip about sports.

If we become more popular, I think our traditions will start to become so as well. But we are not a marketing person's dream in terms of market size in any stretch of the imagination. If navy blue GT stuff sells better than gold (and it does, I've seen it myself), well...that's what the companies are going to make. There's nothing you or I can do about that.