2019 GT Official Color Debate (formerly Adidas Swag Watch 2019 **

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I got one, and I am currently not a STH. I am an alumnist - not sure why you guys did not get one. I would have been happy to forward to you if I knew you did not get one. It also provided for a one time 25% off of a bookstore item....
The survey had it's very own thread (and survey link) on here so I won't shed too many tears for those who didn't fill it out.

Results-wise, it's astounding and goes to show how powerful gold is as the Georgia Tech brand color that navy didn't win. If you ask a random selection of people to pick one shirt color for their whole wardrobe, more often than not they will select navy.

It's too bad Adidas/Georgia Tech don't want to produce any gold clothing...

It went out to every email address GT Athletics had on their list so I am surprised you all didn’t get it.

It was this one:
View attachment 6483

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As an alum, a donor, and a STH, I am definitely on their various email lists, but I sure didn't get one, so it obviously did not go out to "every email address GT Athletics had." And I know of at least 2 other STH's who didn't get it either.

The Rev.

Georgia Tech Fan
As a non-STH alum, I think I recall getting it twice. Only filled it out once though! If I'd have known, Super, I'd have sent one of them to you.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Supposedly (based on TStan's recent podcast), per Adidas' own marketing polls, navy is a "more popular" choice, but I want to know if they mean overall (which I can believe) or for GT fans/alums? Once again, the gold game mode polo is now sold out on Fanatics, but navy is still there. I believe what Adidas is doing what has been previously mentioned by others on this site - making mostly navy blue stuff that they can logo anyway they would like, because if GT doesn't need the apparel, they can still use it for other teams. I guess having a unique color like "sand" (oh, I meant Tech Gold :) ) is too big of a risk to poor Adidas for them to actually make a lot of apparel for GT fans.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Supposedly (based on TStan's recent podcast), per Adidas' own marketing polls, navy is a "more popular" choice, but I want to know if they mean overall (which I can believe) or for GT fans/alums? Once again, the gold game mode polo is now sold out on Fanatics, but navy is still there. I believe what Adidas is doing what has been previously mentioned by others on this site - making mostly navy blue stuff that they can logo anyway they would like, because if GT doesn't need the apparel, they can still use it for other teams. I guess having a unique color like "sand" (oh, I meant Tech Gold :) ) is too big of a risk to poor Adidas for them to actually make a lot of apparel for GT fans.
pretty sure he meant overall but now Tstan has actual data to say well not for our fans its not.

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
I was overall somewhat disappointed in the comments made in the Toddcast, acknowledging that GT licenses everything that goes out but at the same time has no control over what retailers sell? It just seemed weak. Georgia Tech controls through its licensing the brand including colors, not merchandise creators or retailers. Just seemed strange to me how that was discussed. Encouraging that we can go back with data.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
I was overall somewhat disappointed in the comments made in the Toddcast, acknowledging that GT licenses everything that goes out but at the same time has no control over what retailers sell? It just seemed weak. Georgia Tech controls through its licensing the brand including colors, not merchandise creators or retailers. Just seemed strange to me how that was discussed. Encouraging that we can go back with data.
He means in the sense that they control what gets licensed, but have no control over what retailers actually stock from those choices.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
He means in the sense that they control what gets licensed, but have no control over what retailers actually stock from those choices.

I interpreted it as maybe GT shouldn't have licensed so much non-gold stuff. If GT controls what gets licensed, then they most certainly control what retailers have the ability to stock and sell. I don't see how it can't be GT's fault although maybe not their intention.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I interpreted it as maybe GT shouldn't have licensed so much non-gold stuff. If GT controls what gets licensed, then they most certainly control what retailers have the ability to stock and sell. I don't see how it can't be GT's fault although maybe not their intention.

GT doesn’t control it in the sense you think. GT licenses its marks through NCAA Collegiate Licensing. Once they approve, you can pretty much do anything.

GT does not manage its merchandising as much as collect royalties.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
GT doesn’t control it in the sense you think. GT licenses its marks through NCAA Collegiate Licensing. Once they approve, you can pretty much do anything.

GT does not manage its merchandising as much as collect royalties.

So if what Addidas says is true (navy gear is most popular), and what we say is true (we have no control over it), why isn't Addidas producing tons of navy gear for Louisville? I'm not in the sports licensing and retailing world, but I have to believe we messed up some licensing requirements along the way.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So if what Addidas says is true (navy gear is most popular), and what we say is true (we have no control over it), why isn't Addidas producing tons of navy gear for Louisville? I'm not in the sports licensing and retailing world, but I have to believe we messed up some licensing requirements along the way.

I can’t speak for Louisville but it’s likely Louisville fans wouldn’t buy it. But ... they would still be on the hook for the license fee. That’s the rub.

If I wanted to make pink pu$$y hat with a GT logo ... there’s not a lot GT could do about it. Other than collect their cut.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
No he means Adidas says navy is most popular when you account every team. Tstan is now saying for US, gold is the color of apparel we want

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I can add a little to the licensing discussion, as I just recently co-branded with many of the southeast's D1 schools, Tech being one of them. I'm a general manager of a golf course here in GA, and I recently co-branded (my course logo on the front, school on the right side) with Tech, Clemson, Alabama, South Carolina and Auburn. Working through New Era, my hat manufacturer, we have to design the hat, down to the base hat material, color, logo placement, size, etc. Each design is then submitted to the school directly (I do not know who/what dept at each school does this, New Era assisted with the submissions) for approval. Each school can reject the item/logo use on any number of things...material color, logo size, placement, thread color, etc. Now, New Era obviously does a lot of merchandise for most all schools, so they can (and do) give advice along the way for what they've seen work in the past, but each design has to still be individually approved. Auburn rejected our first attempt but then allowed it, and UGA would not give us permission to use their logo, stating something to the effect of they do not license to golf courses at this time (I forget the exact wording of the response).

Once a design is approved, I can't change anything about that design for follow-up/fill-in orders. Material, hat base color, even my own course logo or thread colors, or else it has to go back for approval again. So at least in my own direct experience, the school has a lot (actually the final say) in what merchandise will look like, and what colors are used. FYI, my "GT" on our caps is gold thread, not cheddar yellow.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I can add a little to the licensing discussion, as I just recently co-branded with many of the southeast's D1 schools, Tech being one of them. I'm a general manager of a golf course here in GA, and I recently co-branded (my course logo on the front, school on the right side) with Tech, Clemson, Alabama, South Carolina and Auburn. Working through New Era, my hat manufacturer, we have to design the hat, down to the base hat material, color, logo placement, size, etc. Each design is then submitted to the school directly (I do not know who/what dept at each school does this, New Era assisted with the submissions) for approval. Each school can reject the item/logo use on any number of things...material color, logo size, placement, thread color, etc. Now, New Era obviously does a lot of merchandise for most all schools, so they can (and do) give advice along the way for what they've seen work in the past, but each design has to still be individually approved. Auburn rejected our first attempt but then allowed it, and UGA would not give us permission to use their logo, stating something to the effect of they do not license to golf courses at this time (I forget the exact wording of the response).

Once a design is approved, I can't change anything about that design for follow-up/fill-in orders. Material, hat base color, even my own course logo or thread colors, or else it has to go back for approval again. So at least in my own direct experience, the school has a lot (actually the final say) in what merchandise will look like, and what colors are used. FYI, my "GT" on our caps is gold thread, not cheddar yellow.

Based on this explanation, it would appear that the GTAA is just as responsible for all of the blue as Adidas.