2019 GT Official Color Debate (formerly Adidas Swag Watch 2019 **

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I was with you up until you said change color of Buzz and Wreck. No reason for that. Calm down. ;)

Not me. I am responding to all those that are concerned about Gold, Old Gold, cheddar, Yellow, etc.

But if they are that concerned with ONE Old Gold color, then there are some realities.

And, if I understood correctly, one of the main issues with GT & Adidas consortium was to obtain a prominent, standard Gold color with available merchandise. Not sure they have anywhere come close to that.

And it, to me, appears that Blue is being emphasized.

Fine by me but just be honest about it. W & B w/ G trim; G & B w/ W trim - whatever. IDC.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And, if I understood correctly, one of the main issues with GT & Adidas consortium was to obtain a prominent, standard Gold color with available merchandise. Not sure they have anywhere come close to that.

THIS.

Moreover, someone in GTAA would have to enforce "the standard Gold" with all other manufacturers with whom Tech has licensed through Collegiate Licensing. And I just don't see anyone doing that.

Another reason why I think GTAA is embracing blue and drowning out the gold. It's a helluva lot easier to manage it if you aren't going to manage it.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
THIS.

Moreover, someone in GTAA would have to enforce "the standard Gold" with all other manufacturers with whom Tech has licensed through Collegiate Licensing. And I just don't see anyone doing that.

Another reason why I think GTAA is embracing blue and drowning out the gold. It's a helluva lot easier to manage it if you aren't going to manage it.

My impression was always that that was absolutely part of the plan. I would imagine that it would take years for all of the cheddar stuff that has already been manufactured to filter out of the system, though. I will say that I have seen "off brand" stuff at places like JC Penney and it does appear that they are attempting to use the "Tech Gold". Picked up a gold t-shirt made by "Coliseum" brand that I think looks better than the Adidas stuff. lol

How much enforcing would really need to be done? I am sure they have sent all the manufacturers a copy of the new standards.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
How much enforcing would really need to be done? I am sure they have sent all the manufacturers a copy of the new standards.

Tech itself doesn't do any enforcing. It's all done through Collegiate Licensing. But ... all you have to do is stroll through the bookstore and see all the non-compliant shades of gold to realize that they allow it. As you pointed out, there may be quite a lot already in the supply chain and it may take a year to burn off.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Tech itself doesn't do any enforcing. It's all done through Collegiate Licensing. But ... all you have to do is stroll through the bookstore and see all the non-compliant shades of gold to realize that they allow it. As you pointed out, there may be quite a lot already in the supply chain and it may take a year to burn off.

Yeah. I haven't seen nearly as much cheddar stuff, but I still see quite a bit of pale yellow gear. And I haven't seen any use of the color-compliant version of Buzz, but it seems like they are de-emphasizing Buzz, anyway.

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
Here you go fellas enjoy!

39BB174C-462D-4807-8F16-AD04D8DE2CA6.jpeg

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
Color IS consistent I suppose. Just, well, wrong shade of blue!
Like stated above.... or in the other color thread (Hell I cant remember) metallic colors are hard to match to cloth. I did my best but when I tried to implement a darker blue it didn’t look as good (realistic). I’m also at work and did a quick edit lol. In all honestly I really just wanted to see the reaction of the blue haters.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Like stated above.... or in the other color thread (Hell I cant remember) metallic colors are hard to match to cloth. I did my best but when I tried to implement a darker blue it didn’t look as good (realistic). I’m also at work and did a quick edit lol. In all honestly I really just wanted to see the reaction of the blue haters.
Honestly dont give the GTAA ideas. Knowing them they will actually do this

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Appreciate the effort,, and glad you have correct priorities at work!

Well done.

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
Has anyone identified a wall paint name/brand/number that matches our new gold? Tried to get it mixed today at both Home Depot and Lowe’s without success. I wore my Three stripe T to try and find it. The digital color codes listed on the Tech website didn’t help, and the HD had a very old internal mix code that wasn’t even close. Lowe’s had nothing. Websites for Sherwin-Williams, PPG and Benjamin Moore all nada.

Looks like a marketing gap to me not to have them setup with the paint folks - I could get just about any other team.

PS. although considering even our own basketball court had to be re-done I’m not sure we even know what paint color it is yet?

Has anyone identified a wall paint name/brand/number that matches our new gold? Tried to get it mixed today at both Home Depot and Lowe’s without success. I wore my Three stripe T to try and find it. The digital color codes listed on the Tech website didn’t help, and the HD had a very old internal mix code that wasn’t even close. Lowe’s had nothing. Websites for Sherwin-Williams, PPG and Benjamin Moore all nada.

Looks like a marketing gap to me not to have them setup with the paint folks - I could get just about any other team.

PS. although considering even our own basketball court had to be re-done I’m not sure we even know what paint color it is yet?
Tech has never been know for intelligent marketing, and not just regarding colors.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

The court did look good in person

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck

Somebody posted a link a few pages back that had lots of info on our gold including equivalents for the major paint companies.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck

Found it....it was in the Petition thread. Lot of info in there.
I'm not sure if this has been posted but I've just stumbled upon it. All you ever wanted to know about Tech Gold PMS 4515...
https://encycolorpedia.com/b5a66b

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
Local Sherwin-Williams store had a cross-match on our official PANTONE colors. The guy there said they have a lot of the movie/TV folks shooting around here and they always have those type of color codes to match.

Looked good on the test dry sheet they had after mixing. We’ll see how it looks on the wall before I post the formula.