2019 GT Official Color Debate (formerly Adidas Swag Watch 2019 **

Milwaukee

Banned
I've already won this thread. It can be closed at this point. Crown me.

Dear Adidas:

Please just go back to our 2006 uniform combo but replace the R with your Adidas logo and sprinkle in the 1 new combo for 2019:

1 - *home* Gold helmets with gold jerseys with dark blue numbers and white pants at home
View attachment 5243
2- *away* Gold helmets with white jerseys with dark blue numbers and gold pants on the road
View attachment 5244
View attachment 5247
3 - *Throwback* white helmet with ugly mustard tops with white pants for 1 game
View attachment 5245
4 - Now also sprinkle in this new 2019 white helmet without the stinger with white jerseys with gold numbers and gold pants for 1 game
View attachment 5246
5 - Gold helmet with blue jersey with WHITE numbers with white pants for any postseason games
View attachment 5248

If you don't love every one of these then I don't want to know you. End of thread.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Blue basketball uniforms for senior day. Blue workout unis for the Spring Game hype video and the training video. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON ???

I don't think there is any question but the GTAA is supporting the use of Navy as the primary color of Tech sports for a variety of reasons. It's readily available, easy to manufacture, no risk of inventory obsolescence and easy to color match across multiple manufactures. (Old Gold is not.) And because it is readily available, the cost per unit is lower due to much higher volumes, so vendors can enjoy higher margins while at the same time, paying Tech's licensing fee.

More navy goods = more revenue for Tech.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don't think there is any question but the GTAA is supporting the use of Navy as the primary color of Tech sports for a variety of reasons. It's readily available, easy to manufacture, no risk of inventory obsolescence and easy to color match across multiple manufactures. (Old Gold is not.) And because it is readily available, the cost per unit is lower due to much higher volumes, so vendors can enjoy higher margins while at the same time, paying Tech's licensing fee.

U seem to be in the know- has a Gold Game Jersey come out yet? When at gt store I saw White - but no Gold - clerks didnt know.
. I will get 2 - to go over our blue stuff while at game.

How do we know that more gold goods might not also equal more revenue for Tech? Have we even tried? All the "reasons" you listed are just lame excuses in my book. Find a shade of gold that fits your criteria (and it CAN be done) and get back to our REAL school colors.

crut

Helluva Engineer
GT and Adidas realizing they picked the wrong shade of gold and they aren't going back to the drawing board. Navy it is.
I can see some truth to this. Trying to mimic the Reck was a mistake, and I said it ad nausem before they released the color. Cars, clothes, wood, and posters aren't attractive with the same color. That being said, do what you need to do to make your schools colors strong and branding consistent. I would accept them re-picking the gold if it meant it would strengthen the brand.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
GT and Adidas realizing they picked the wrong shade of gold and they aren't going back to the drawing board. Navy it is.
I picked the wrong shade of gold and I went back to the drawing board. I ordered a golf cart in white and gold and picked the gold from a 1" square swatch. I went back to check on it after a couple weeks, and Tony, my golf card vendor, told me they paint shop had painted it but it was too mustard. He took them a GT seat emblem and said they could take a picture with a special camera and it would spit out the color specs. I then went by the paint shop to check, and the new paint job was too beige and too light. Zach the paint shop guy says his camera does not work too good on soft materials. So we used his book of swatches with a hold in the center to put it over the gold I like in the G in the Tech emblem. Me, Zach, and my buddy who was with me all agreed this was the best match. As my wife always tells me, "we shall see!"

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Adidas ain't the problem, the problem is Tech AA. You can only EXPECT what you INSPECT!

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Not sure I follow, Bogey. Does that mean they have left the decisions completely to Adidas on what they produce and don't produce?

I wish the new gold was darker, but with that said, I would rather buy and wear the new gold all day long than change our primary color to NAVY. I just do not understand.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
How do we know that more gold goods might not also equal more revenue for Tech? Have we even tried? All the "reasons" you listed are just lame excuses in my book. Find a shade of gold that fits your criteria (and it CAN be done) and get back to our REAL school colors.

It's simple. The top 5 selling colors for athletic wear are White, Black, Navy, Grey, and Red. By far.

Other colors are produced, but the market just isn't that big. So ... if a company wanted to make Old Gold t-shirts ... they would be paying higher production costs (their total Cost of Goods Sold goes up) per unit AND they would have pay Tech a 15-20% licensing fee. In short, there's no money in it. A safer bet for almost any vendor is to make it in navy ... the volumes of navy produced are huge, so the cost per unit is much lower than for a specialty color. In this case, a navy version can be sold and with the higher margin (on account of the lower cost of goods sold) means that a licensing fee can be paid to Tech as well.

It's not about emotion or being lame. Or being in your book or not. It's a simple working of the Profit and Loss statement. And like it or not, there is not as big a market for items manufactured in gold as there is in white, black, navy, grey or red.

It's simple. The top 5 selling colors for athletic wear are White, Black, Navy, Grey, and Red. By far.

Other colors are produced, but the market just isn't that big. So ... if a company wanted to make Old Gold t-shirts ... they would be paying higher production costs (their total Cost of Goods Sold goes up) per unit AND they would have pay Tech a 15-20% licensing fee. In short, there's no money in it. A safer bet for almost any vendor is to make it in navy ... the volumes of navy produced are huge, so the cost per unit is much lower than for a specialty color. In this case, a navy version can be sold and with the higher margin (on account of the lower cost of goods sold) means that a licensing fee can be paid to Tech as well.

It's not about emotion or being lame. Or being in your book or not. It's a simple working of the Profit and Loss statement. And like it or not, there is not as big a market for items manufactured in gold as there is in white, black, navy, grey or red.
Well, what about all the many schools in the country whose colors are not white, black, navy, grey, or red? You don't think they produce goods in orange, purple. yellow, green etc, etc. You know damn well they do, so there's no excuse for not producing goods in gold also.