2019 GT Official Color Debate (formerly Adidas Swag Watch 2019 **

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Part of the problem was picking an official gold color and "color matching" everything for branding consistency. This was a mistake. The result has been no gold. Take the bball court which looks kinda green in person and puke lime green on tv, as evidence. Fine have an official gold on the books, but forget about color matching everything for consistent branding. Bring back 100 shades of gold and yellow. That is preferable to me over no official gold merchandise available. Put 100 shades of gold and yellow in a crowd of 1000's and it looks a lot more Tech than a bunch of navy and gray.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Well, what about all the many schools in the country whose colors are not white, black, navy, grey, or red? You don't think they produce goods in orange, purple. yellow, green etc, etc. You know damn well they do, so there's no excuse for not producing goods in gold also.

OK. Let's take Orange. UT has the largest fanbase in the country ... with over 105,000 fans for every game and in East TN, borders in the millions. UT alone has 3 retail stores selling UT merchandise in Orange and White ... and there is no problem moving the goods. There is no risk to a vendor because a) the size of the market and b) UT generates the most revenue from licensing than any school in the country.

We have a small fanbase. With a school color that is not in big demand and has some risk between the cost to produce, the licensing costs, and ultimately, the profit margin.

It comes down to economics. Now, is it solvable? Perhaps a niche manufacturer might dedicated themselves. But I don't think so. The return isn't there. I think you're more likely to see a focus on navy and white products with a gold accent.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
It comes down to economics. Now, is it solvable? Perhaps a niche manufacturer might dedicated themselves. But I don't think so. The return isn't there. I think you're more likely to see a focus on navy and white products with a gold accent.
So what you are saying is that I’ll never find a GT batik shirt in white and gold, with perhaps just a sprinkling of navy accents...:unsure:

OK. Let's take Orange. UT has the largest fanbase in the country ... with over 105,000 fans for every game and in East TN, borders in the millions. UT alone has 3 retail stores selling UT merchandise in Orange and White ... and there is no problem moving the goods. There is no risk to a vendor because a) the size of the market and b) UT generates the most revenue from licensing than any school in the country.

We have a small fanbase. With a school color that is not in big demand and has some risk between the cost to produce, the licensing costs, and ultimately, the profit margin.

All I can say is there was never any problem in the past getting gold (yellow) gear. There's no reason why there should be now. In fact, the last time I visited the bookstore, what gold they had there was made by non-Adidas and non-Russell companies.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So what you are saying is that I’ll never find a GT batik shirt in white and gold, with perhaps just a sprinkling of navy accents...:unsure:

Ha, maybe. But in my experience, getting vendors to support specialty items often leads to guarantees on the substrates used. So, if Tech really wanted Old Gold products and was willing to buy all the unsold material (assuming Tech fans don't), then ... yes ... totally doable. But I expect not. Tech doesn't have a reserve fund big enough to swing that bat. And I'll bet ... Gold items are not the biggest sellers at the bookstore. So, Tech won't want to take that bet. At least, not now.

PS. It doesn't help that Geoff is adorning himself in Navy. Not a great way to stimulate demand in my view, but could all be part of a plan to sell more branded merchandise.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I follow, Bogey. Does that mean they have left the decisions completely to Adidas on what they produce and don't produce?

I wish the new gold was darker, but with that said, I would rather buy and wear the new gold all day long than change our primary color to NAVY. I just do not understand.
It is the AA's fault either way. If they gave Adidas final say of our colors, they shouldn't have. If the AA has final say, the AA selected the wrong color.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It didn't bother me in the least that it didn't all match

Maybe not you, but since the GTAA did a brand identity makeover, it clearly bothered some of them.

An easy fix here is to promote white. There's no issue, no one will care if the gold doesn't match because it will be a lower percentage. And vendors should have no problem producing ... white.

Let's face it: if anybody at Tech actually WANTED to fix this, they would do it. Apparently they don't give a damn. And forget about gear on the shelves. There is no reason whatsoever that they have to have all blue uniforms in any sport at Tech. They have already produced sufficient uniform components in white and gold, so we know what CAN be done, if they actually want to.

GT_receivers

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's face it: if anybody at Tech actually WANTED to fix this, they would do it. Apparently they don't give a damn. And forget about gear on the shelves. There is no reason whatsoever that they have to have all blue uniforms in any sport at Tech. They have already produced sufficient uniform components in white and gold, so we know what CAN be done, if they actually want to.
You guys should email the bookstore to see if Adidas is making gold apparel.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Its amazing they could do it in 2006 for example, but they can't do it now

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Check out the hat in Vespidae’s avatar - that is Old Gold.

Check out the R.B. uni in Gold1’s avatar - neither the hat or jersey is Old Gold ( not that I don’t like the uni).

The Gold on the Rambling Wreck is not Old Gold. There are probably 3 different Gold colors on the Rambling Wreck between the paint, some of the fender banners, the tire cover, and decals.

The Gold on the Buzz mascot outfit is not Old Gold.

As has been pointed out, the Gold on the basketball court is who knows what. Besides a puke color.

Therefore - if we want matching Gold merchandise (Old Gold) we will have to restrict it to cloth. For jersies , polo shirts,
sweats, etc. if we want a matching Gold on a G/W/G uni we will have to go with a flat paint color on the hat, not a metallic type look (make it like Pitt). Or stop giving a darn and have an abomination like the n.d. hat & pants.

Just saying if we want a consistent Old Gold then it will have to be restricted to cloth and not include Materials like plastic, metal, wood. We have not been able to do this in over 100 years and despite all the hours put in by Adidas & GTAA they have failed again.

So stop caring that it doesn’t match, use Old Gold on one type material only, change Gold to trim color only (Gt in All Blue looks unholy to me), or something.

But there is no doubt that any thinking person can see there is now a greater emphasis on Blue.

Change paint scheme of basketball court, change paint scheme on Rambling Wreck, change Buzz costume, change unis to W/W/W, G/W/W, W/G/W, different G/W/G, G/B/W.

But that is the nature of Gold to me.

Check out the R.B. uni in Gold1’s avatar - neither the hat or jersey is Old Gold ( not that I don’t like the uni).

The Gold on the Rambling Wreck is not Old Gold. There are probably 3 different Gold colors on the Rambling Wreck between the paint, some of the fender banners, the tire cover, and decals.

As has been pointed out, the Gold on the basketball court is who knows what. Besides a puke color.

Therefore - if we want matching Gold merchandise (Old Gold) we will have to restrict it to cloth. For jersies , polo shirts,
sweats, etc. if we want a matching Gold on a G/W/G uni we will have to go with a flat paint color on the hat, not a metallic type look (make it like Pitt). Or stop giving a darn and have an abomination like the n.d. hat & pants.

Just saying if we want a consistent Old Gold then it will have to be restricted to cloth and not include Materials like plastic, metal, wood. We have not been able to do this in over 100 years and despite all the hours put in by Adidas & GTAA they have failed again.

So stop caring that it doesn’t match, use Old Gold on one type material only, change Gold to trim color only (Gt in All Blue looks unholy to me), or something.

But there is no doubt that any thinking person can see there is now a greater emphasis on Blue.

Change paint scheme of basketball court, change paint scheme on Rambling Wreck, change Buzz costume, change unis to W/W/W, G/W/W, W/G/W, different G/W/G, G/B/W.

HELL YEAH !!!!!

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

I was with you up until you said change color of Buzz and Wreck. No reason for that. Calm down. ;)