2019 GT Official Color Debate (formerly Adidas Swag Watch 2019 **

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Simplest solution is to eliminate gold completely and make navy our primary color.

I dont think you have to go that far. Just pick a shade of yellow and call it gold, then bump navy to a primary. In retrospect, the gold they chose based on the wreck is too hard to reproduce and looks khaki or pea soup on different surfaces.

My favorite GT hat is Navy with a white GT that is outlined in gold. Good clean look.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Actually, the more I think about it, lets just embrace the diversity of our traditions. Wear your navy, your old gold, Tech gold, Buzz Gold, Vegas Gold, your pale yellow, your cheddar and black, and wear them proudly! Maybe there is no right or wrong shade of gold, but a kaleidescope of diverse hues.

The white and gold together at the bottom of your post lacks visual “pop”. That’s a big no-no in graphic design and corporate identity/logo design. There’s just not enough contrast for the casual observer to notice it and have it stand out from any background visual noise. It also creates big problems trying to read numbers and names on jerseys at a distance in a stadium. That is why navy blue and sometimes black is used as trim or outlines.

It doesn’t help that Tech gold is a muted version of the color. Many people hated the darker mustard gold but it had better pop against white and I think that’s part of the reason why it was used in the past.
Trim is fine. The trim used to be black, until the 80s. What galls me is the substitution of blue (or even black) for a primary color.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Since this wild discussion is still going on for some reason, I'll throw in my .02 cents. I like everything that we have now. I hated Russell because the perception hurt us in recruiting, and to the casual observer it made GT look "cheap".

If the players like Navy idk why we care as fans. As long as the GT is there, that's all that matters to me. I like the all white, I like the navy, and I like the gold. I will say that a gold helmet on top of a gold jersey looks weird to me, only because the materials are different so the golds always look different, otherwise I don't care.

If we have a gold out game or a white out game I think we should try to participate as fans to help the environment better for the players, but outside of that who cares? If we want the stands to be one color and stand out all the time then we'd have to make every game a white out.

To the guys screaming about gold... sorry, I doubt Navy will ever go away. I don't think gold and white will go away either, so idk what all the fuss is about. My whole 27 years have seen the same 3 colors, and they are all used pretty equally, so idk why that would change now. Some of you seem to think that navy is going to become our home jersey color for every game or something... why would that happen? Has it ever happened in the past? No, so why would it happen now?

My whole 27 years have seen the same 3 colors, and they are all used pretty equally, so idk why that would change now.
All you have to do is look at this past season and see that suddenly navy has become a dominant color. Other than the late 80s and early 90s, navy has never been used as much as last year, and even back then, it was only the jerseys (that, of course, was because of the NCAA's stupid rule). Now we have navy pants, all navy uniforms, navy end zones (2 years ago), and navy field borders (late this past year). So no, the colors were not used equally last year; we actually saw more navy used than gold.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
All you have to do is look at this past season and see that suddenly navy has become a dominant color. Other than the late 80s and early 90s, navy has never been used as much as last year, and even back then, it was only the jerseys (that, of course, was because of the NCAA's stupid rule). Now we have navy pants, all navy uniforms, navy end zones (2 years ago), and navy field borders (late this past year). So no, the colors were not used equally last year; we actually saw more navy used than gold.
That first statement is just plain wrong! Here are the combos from this year:

Game 1 vs Alcorn - Helmet - Gold, Jersey - White, Pants - Gold
Game 2 vs USF - Helmet - Gold, Jersey - White, Pants - White
Game 3 vs Pitt - Helmet - White, Jersey - White, Pants - White
Game 4 vs Clemson - Helmet - Gold, Jersey - Navy, Pants - White
Game 5 vs BG - Helmet - Gold, Jersey - White, Pants - Gold
Game 6 vs UL - Helmet - White, Jersey - White, Pants - White
Game 7 vs Duke - Helmet - Gold, Jersey - White, Pants - Navy
Game 8 vs VPI - Helmet - White, Jersey - White, Pants - White
Game 9 vs uNC - Helmet - White, Jersey - White, Pants - Navy
Game 10 vs VPI - Helmet - White, Jersey - White, Pants - White
Game 11 vs UVA - Helmet - Gold, Jersey - White, Pants - Gold
Game 12 vs ugag - Helmet - Gold, Jersey - White, Pants - White
Game 13 vs Minn - Helmet - Gold, Jersey - Navy, Pants - Navy

Out of all 13 games there are only 4 games where there was a major piece of the uniform that was primarily navy. Out of the 39 major uniform parts, white is the most common with 23 (59%), Gold with 11 (28%) and navy with only 5 (13%).

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just as many teams wear gold as they do Navy

Counting ND, it’s 5 in the ACC alone

I won't argue again, but it appears you miss my point. Your point is that lots of teams have "gold" as one of their colors. OK, I get that.

My point is that very, very few teams, if any in division 1, had OLD GOLD and WHITE as their primary colors. That makes this combination VERY unique, in my opinion.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Since this wild discussion is still going on for some reason, I'll throw in my .02 cents. I like everything that we have now. I hated Russell because the perception hurt us in recruiting, and to the casual observer it made GT look "cheap".

If the players like Navy idk why we care as fans. As long as the GT is there, that's all that matters to me. I like the all white, I like the navy, and I like the gold. I will say that a gold helmet on top of a gold jersey looks weird to me, only because the materials are different so the golds always look different, otherwise I don't care.

If we have a gold out game or a white out game I think we should try to participate as fans to help the environment better for the players, but outside of that who cares? If we want the stands to be one color and stand out all the time then we'd have to make every game a white out.

To the guys screaming about gold... sorry, I doubt Navy will ever go away. I don't think gold and white will go away either, so idk what all the fuss is about. My whole 27 years have seen the same 3 colors, and they are all used pretty equally, so idk why that would change now. Some of you seem to think that navy is going to become our home jersey color for every game or something... why would that happen? Has it ever happened in the past? No, so why would it happen now?
It didn't look weird when we wore it for like 5 years straight.

That first statement is just plain wrong! Here are the combos from this year:

Game 1 vs Alcorn - Helmet - Gold, Jersey - White, Pants - Gold
Game 2 vs USF - Helmet - Gold, Jersey - White, Pants - White
Game 3 vs Pitt - Helmet - White, Jersey - White, Pants - White
Game 4 vs Clemson - Helmet - Gold, Jersey - Navy, Pants - White
Game 5 vs BG - Helmet - Gold, Jersey - White, Pants - Gold
Game 6 vs UL - Helmet - White, Jersey - White, Pants - White
Game 7 vs Duke - Helmet - Gold, Jersey - White, Pants - Navy
Game 8 vs VPI - Helmet - White, Jersey - White, Pants - White
Game 9 vs uNC - Helmet - White, Jersey - White, Pants - Navy
Game 10 vs VPI - Helmet - White, Jersey - White, Pants - White
Game 11 vs UVA - Helmet - Gold, Jersey - White, Pants - Gold
Game 12 vs ugag - Helmet - Gold, Jersey - White, Pants - White
Game 13 vs Minn - Helmet - Gold, Jersey - Navy, Pants - Navy

Out of all 13 games there are only 4 games where there was a major piece of the uniform that was primarily navy. Out of the 39 major uniform parts, white is the most common with 23 (59%), Gold with 11 (28%) and navy with only 5 (13%).
Other than the 2014 Orange Bowl, prior to last year, I don't recall us wearing navy in any form since the early 90s. I may be wrong, but I sure don't remember any.

Milwaukee

Banned
Ahh. Yeah, you're right. I would prefer to forget that one.

2006 ACC Championship as well. Another game we'd like to forget the scoreboard, but damn we looked good you gotta say. Shout out Philip Wheeler, favorite Tech LB of all time. @Ibeeballin don't kill me
gettyimages-120943711-612x612.jpg