2019 GT Official Color Debate (formerly Adidas Swag Watch 2019 **

You're not only in the minority in general when it comes to blue, you're in the minority amongst Tech fans.
I thought the opinions of Tech fans was what we were talking about. I don't give a damn what not-Tech fans say. And I doubt you or I really have a clue just how large a group of fans don't like blue. There were apparently enough last year for TStan to try to defend it by referring to that bogus 1890-something article that talked about blue being a CLASS color, not a SCHOOL color.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I thought the opinions of Tech fans was what we were talking about. I don't give a damn what not-Tech fans say. And I doubt you or I really have a clue just how large a group of fans don't like blue. There were apparently enough last year for TStan to try to defend it by referring to that bogus 1890-something article that talked about blue being a CLASS color, not a SCHOOL color.
There's a difference between large and vocal. Let's get real...look around at a football game. You see all kinds of colors. There are those that are in white. There are those in gold/yellow. There are those in some other color or pattern. But by and far, the largest majority of fans are wearing navy blue something. This coming in the face of the school calling for people to come out in gold. Walk around campus, the kids wear mostly navy Tech gear. Go to the bookstore, most of the merchandise is navy blue. It is the predominate color for tech gear, period. These retailers aren't stupid, they're there to make money. They will sell whatever enough people want. The reason the majority of the merchandise is navy blue is because that is what the majority of the purchasing power buys. That's irrefutable by anyone who understand a free market and commerce.

Anyway, I'm going to check out of this back and forth for a while. I'll still chuckle at old men yelling at clouds, and may check back in another 24 or so pages.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Chinese Bandits were one.
Coach Diesel spelling? did indeed invent the idea of using three teams at LSU to win the national championship that year. He had a "GO" team of the best offensive players and the best passing quarterback, a "STOP " or "White" team of the best athletes and best defenders, and the Chinese Bandits who were not particularly big or fast but generally would hit people and arrive in a bad mood. He dressed them in a publicity stunt wearing Chinese bandit masks from a local Chinese restaurant and the rest is history.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It wouldn't be obvious immediately to anyone other than the most hardcore of CFB fans which is why I don't see this as a big deal. Nobody cares about other team's uniforms, they only care about their own.

And what is the benefit of people knowing immediately instead of 2 seconds later? It doesn't have an impact on our program. If anything these blue uniforms are better then having the same uniforms every week because the recruits and players get excited about having new choices.

I don't know, I am kind of weird about this but I have always liked the Auburn uniforms and the South Carolina uniforms. With USC it is the big C on the helmets with the "Fighting Gamecock" inside the logo. Pretty cool. Auburn has that classic look similar to Alabama, Texas, and Penn State. Nothing exciting but it works.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think most would assume Clemson too, but it has more to do with their current stature. And for us and in the southeast, it's a regional thing.

But color does not differentiate them.

View attachment 5219

View attachment 5212

View attachment 5213

View attachment 5214

View attachment 5215

View attachment 5216

View attachment 5217

View attachment 5218

It's not the color, its that Tiger Paw. Clemson started using that in the early 1970s and before you knew it, Frank Howard had the damn things painted all over town and even on the road leading to the campus.

There's a difference between large and vocal. Let's get real...look around at a football game. You see all kinds of colors. There are those that are in white. There are those in gold/yellow. There are those in some other color or pattern. But by and far, the largest majority of fans are wearing navy blue something. This coming in the face of the school calling for people to come out in gold. Walk around campus, the kids wear mostly navy Tech gear. Go to the bookstore, most of the merchandise is navy blue. It is the predominate color for tech gear, period. These retailers aren't stupid, they're there to make money. They will sell whatever enough people want. The reason the majority of the merchandise is navy blue is because that is what the majority of the purchasing power buys. That's irrefutable by anyone who understand a free market and commerce.

Anyway, I'm going to check out of this back and forth for a while. I'll still chuckle at old men yelling at clouds, and may check back in another 24 or so pages.
You do realize, I trust, that one reason you see so much blue gear available to the public and visible at games is because that is essentially all that is sold. Neither you nor I have any idea whether gold would outsell blue IF OFFERED, but how can you buy gold gear, if it's not even on the shelves. Is it not there because it sells out so quickly? If so, then that alone should indicate the desire for gold. Fortunately, what little (and I mean VERY LITTLE) Tech gear is available in Augusta is always gold / yellow.

True, but the Tiger Paw is what made Clemson recognizable. The orange look is one that is used by lots of teams.
Prior to the Tiger Paw Clemson was DEFINITELY recognizable by the orange look. But it was really neither the color nor the tiger paw that made Clemson recognizable, it was the winning begun by Danny Ford. We used to make fun of that when they came to Atlanta every year. And the orange that Clemson uses is far brighter and more prominent than the orange used by other teams.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is exactly what we should be doing. But it requires anyone at GTAA to have half a brain when it comes to marketing and branding.

No problem with alternates and the occasional use of Navy as an alternate, but the general public should always think of white and gold when they think of Georgia Tech.

Navy jerseys should be limited to a once a year alternate. Always with white pants, white numbers and gold hat (1990 and 2006 ACCCG template). Blue pants should never happen.

And for God's sake can we please fix our media package that we provide to ESPN and the other Media Partners??? Why are we using blue as our primary color for scoring and logos? There is somebody at GTAA making that decision. Gold should be used for all of our branding. White logo on gold for the primary, gold logo on white for the alternate.

Primary
View attachment 5225
Alternate
View attachment 5226
NEVER (for media branding purposes - disregard wrong shade of gold)
View attachment 5227

There aren't a whole lot of positives since Tech gold was announced, but while you weren't looking the actual school adopted the same colors as the AA. All those yellows and blacks in our institutional commercials will go away, so that's definitely a positive.

View attachment 5228 View attachment 5229
The white and gold together at the bottom of your post lacks visual “pop”. That’s a big no-no in graphic design and corporate identity/logo design. There’s just not enough contrast for the casual observer to notice it and have it stand out from any background visual noise. It also creates big problems trying to read numbers and names on jerseys at a distance in a stadium. That is why navy blue and sometimes black is used as trim or outlines.

It doesn’t help that Tech gold is a muted version of the color. Many people hated the darker mustard gold but it had better pop against white and I think that’s part of the reason why it was used in the past.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The white and gold together at the bottom of your post lacks visual “pop”. That’s a big no-no in graphic design and corporate identity/logo design. There’s just not enough contrast for the casual observer to notice it and have it stand out from any background visual noise. It also creates big problems trying to read numbers and names on jerseys at a distance in a stadium. That is why navy blue and sometimes black is used as trim or outlines.

It doesn’t help that Tech gold is a muted version of the color. Many people hated the darker mustard gold but it had better pop against white and I think that’s part of the reason why it was used in the past.

Agreed. The gold we use should be darker, but it can be darker without adding a "mustard" look.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Often, the reason a color like navy is preferred by suppliers is simply that it is more readily available as a stock material and easier to manufacture.

I say that having supplied clothing mfrs and observing first hand.