2019 GT Official Color Debate (formerly Adidas Swag Watch 2019 **

Last time I checked, a big ole GT on something meant that it was us.
A big (ugly) oval G also means Georgia, but so does their red and black or red and black uniforms. If anybody in this part of the country sees those red jerseys and white pants, they immediately know that it's Georgia (or maybe Alabama), but when you see blue jerseys and white pants, are blue jerseys and gold pants, or (God help us) all blue uniforms, most people throughout the entire country think it's Pitt, or ND, or UVA. When people see white and gold, they immediately think of Tech, since we are the only school in the country whose colors are white and gold. Why do we need to look like somebody else, when we already have a unique identity?

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
A big (ugly) oval G also means Georgia, but so does their red and black or red and black uniforms. If anybody in this part of the country sees those red jerseys and white pants, they immediately know that it's Georgia (or maybe Alabama), but when you see blue jerseys and white pants, are blue jerseys and gold pants, or (God help us) all blue uniforms, most people throughout the entire country think it's Pitt, or ND, or UVA. When people see white and gold, they immediately think of Tech, since we are the only school in the country whose colors are white and gold. Why do we need to look like somebody else, when we already have a unique identity?
Just think it’s interesting you guys still think that EVERYONE thinks GT when they see gold and white. They don’t. It all depends on where you are and who they typically see/play. I would guess most think ND first and then any number of teams including GT from there. What everyone does recognize is the linked GT logo, buzz and the Wreck.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm fairly confident if we took a poll of fans 2 degrees apart from us or more, they would not guess gold and white as Georgia Tech colors.

First, most believe yellow is one of our colors because, well...

Second, I believe blue or black would be the most popular second color guess, and it has nothing to do with the color of the jerseys we wear. From my brother-in-law, a Hokie, on my birthday.... "good luck to the gold and black". That wasn't sarcasm, he's a Hokie grad and casual fan of college sports in general. My real brother (Syracuse fan) guessed yellow and blue when I asked him recently.

Many other college fans I talk to recognize Buzz as the GT symbol before all else. Buzz is yellow and black. Not gold and white.

Similarly, few outside of Tech and the most hardcore in ACC/southeast circles know that we wear white jerseys home and away. I didn't know that prior to going to Tech, despite being a HUGE college sports fan, nor do I think I cared enough about jersey color while at Tech to have noticed.

Just sharing another perspective. I'm not passionate about this subject at all, and I join more for the popcorn comedy.

Yes, everyone recognizes the linked GT logo, buzz, and the Wreck, but, with few exceptions, those have all appeared with the colors Gold (or yellow) and White. And, as Cuse said in his post, black is associated with Buzz, or even the old form of the Yellow Jacket. The only reason people outside the southeast don't recognize the white and gold unis as Tech is because Tech has not been prominent on the national scene in so long. But in the 50s, I would guarantee you that the Tech White and Gold unis were among the most recognized unis in the country. Win enough to regain some level of prominence on the national scene, and that would happen again. It always strikes me as funny that some people reject the use of black because that's one of UGAg's colors, but Georgia wears red jerseys and WHITE pants regularly, and nobody in the cesspool objects that white is one of Tech's PRIMARY colors. I don't really want black jerseys or black pants (and certainly not all black unis), but black makes more sense than blue, which has nothing whatsoever to do with yellow jackets or Tech. We have a unique brand, so why not capitalize on it, with perhaps some minor deviations, instead of looking like a large group of other schools for whom blue is a primary color? Everything in Tech history and tradition screams White and Gold, NOT blue and anything. Those uniforms we wore in Detroit were, if not just plain ugly (my opinion), but drab and lifeless, and did not in the least say GEORGIA TECH.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I'm fairly confident if we took a poll of fans 2 degrees apart from us or more, they would not guess gold and white as Georgia Tech colors.

First, most believe yellow is one of our colors because, well...

Second, I believe blue or black would be the most popular second color guess, and it has nothing to do with the color of the jerseys we wear. From my brother-in-law, a Hokie, on my birthday.... "good luck to the gold and black". That wasn't sarcasm, he's a Hokie grad and casual fan of college sports in general. My real brother (Syracuse fan) guessed yellow and blue when I asked him recently.

Many other college fans I talk to recognize Buzz as the GT symbol before all else. Buzz is yellow and black. Not gold and white.

Similarly, few outside of Tech and the most hardcore in ACC/southeast circles know that we wear white jerseys home and away. I didn't know that prior to going to Tech, despite being a HUGE college sports fan, nor do I think I cared enough about jersey color while at Tech to have noticed.

Just sharing another perspective. I'm not passionate about this subject at all, and I join more for the popcorn comedy.

Yeah, my wife thought GT was yellow and navy when we met. She's from LA but started following the gaggers when she moved out here. I have lots of cheddar and navy Tech gear because every Christmas, that is what my relatives give me because that is mainly what you find in general retail outlets. I wear it all and don't get into these debates much, though I admit I would like to get some more white and gold gear. My view of Navy is that people like it and it isn't going anywhere because of that. So I am fine with it.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Most non-hardcore college football fans always say Yellow and Black when talking about GT.

I'm not sure why some people get so upset about some other fans possibly not recognizing GT immediately when seeing us on TV. Who gives a :poop:????? It takes TWO SECONDS to see the interlocking GT or Georgia Tech name on the scoreboard.

Most non-hardcore college football fans always say Yellow and Black when talking about GT.

I'm not sure why some people get so upset about some other fans possibly not recognizing GT immediately when seeing us on TV. Who gives a :poop:????? It takes TWO SECONDS to see the interlocking GT or Georgia Tech name on the scoreboard.
Why should it even take 2 seconds, when it COULD and SHOULD be obvious immediately?

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Why should it even take 2 seconds, when it COULD and SHOULD be obvious immediately?

It wouldn't be obvious immediately to anyone other than the most hardcore of CFB fans which is why I don't see this as a big deal. Nobody cares about other team's uniforms, they only care about their own.

And what is the benefit of people knowing immediately instead of 2 seconds later? It doesn't have an impact on our program. If anything these blue uniforms are better then having the same uniforms every week because the recruits and players get excited about having new choices.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
In the last few years, I've built myself a new workbench and storage cabinets for my shop. I painted them white and closest to what was our gold at the time (more like "buzz yellow"). When people see shop, they are usually like "where's the black?"

It wouldn't be obvious immediately to anyone other than the most hardcore of CFB fans which is why I don't see this as a big deal. Nobody cares about other team's uniforms, they only care about their own.

And what is the benefit of people knowing immediately instead of 2 seconds later? It doesn't have an impact on our program. If anything these blue uniforms are better then having the same uniforms every week because the recruits and players get excited about having new choices.
Actually, a bigger issue is with the basketball uniforms. There is no GT, or, in most cases, even Georgia Tech on the uniforms. I forget now which game it was, but we were in blue, and the other team was in white. I tuned in a few minutes late and immediately (incorrectly) assumed that Tech was in white. It wasn't until one of the teams scored and the announcers said who, that I knew we were the team in blue. As far as I am concerned, there is no excuse for that. If we couldn't wear white for that game, then we should have worn gold.

Nobody cares about other team's uniforms
That's not entirely true. Plenty of people "cared" about those ugly-*** uniforms that Oregon wore a few years back, and the mocking remarks had an effect. And I think plenty of people "care" about other teams' uniforms when they look at them and say,"Is that really ____? I thought their colors were ____." I want other fans to know immediately who we are.

I'm fairly confident if we took a poll of fans 2 degrees apart from us or more, they would not guess gold and white as Georgia Tech colors
But don't you think they SHOULD know? After all, they know it's Clemson when they see orange; they know it's Texas when they see their uniforms; they know it's ND, even though they have several variations. Why can't and shouldn't Tech be known by its uniforms, i.e., its school colors?

crut

Helluva Engineer
I'm fully anti-navy and hate how frequently it's being used, but for an event like the one they are putting on tonight, it makes sense to use the tertiary color.
They are glow in the dark shirts, so you need a dark base color.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
But don't you think they SHOULD know? After all, they know it's Clemson when they see orange; they know it's Texas when they see their uniforms; they know it's ND, even though they have several variations. Why can't and shouldn't Tech be known by its uniforms, i.e., its school colors?
I know it's Clemson because of the paw print and reasons other than color. They have a fairly standard orange worn by other teams.

Texas I could guess when they're wearing burnt orange, yes.

I think if you ask any non-GT fan who the flagship school of "gold" is, they'll likely say Notre Dame. I'm not sure adding white to the mix will change the perception of the casual fan. In fact, I'm not sure many would confidently know of a 2nd team that calls gold their primary color, because yellow... maybe they'd say Army?

Look, I'm good with more gold, so I'm not arguing it. I just don't know that the colors resonate or will resonate with anyone unless we start winning big also. If we win big, we could wear green and pink then everyone will recognize us as GT.