Miss St $47,900 $89,100 SEC
Tenn $48,000 $89,500 SEC
Fla ST $47,000 $90,600 ACC
Kans ST $50,000 $90,600 Big12
Alabama $49,000 $90,900 SEC
Nebraska $48,700 $91,500 Big ten
Kentucky $48,800 $91,700 SEC
Arkansas $49,100 $92,300 SEC

Holy crap...that looks like the starting salary for a GT grad...in the 90's!

I'm in no way bragging, but my STARTING salary out of GT (mid 2000's) was pretty close to the Mid Career salaries of those schools. I'm sure quite a few GT grads on here can say the same. Only 2% of players end up playing in the NFL, and the average career is around 3 years. How are you going to support yourself for the next 40 years?

I linked to this earlier: http://www.businessinsider.com/coll...s-2015-8#9-georgia-institute-of-technology-42

GT is number 2 for schools that play FBS football. You're talking about a difference of 15-20K a year right out of college. Over a 5 year span, even if you don't invest the difference, that's almost $75-100K of lost wages comparatively. If you invest it in just Vanguard Index fund over that period...wow.

GT should put together a chart of how much SAs could lose by attending another school based on starting and mid career salaries. I'm pretty sure the difference in income opportunities and lost wages would shock SAs and their parents.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Holy crap...that looks like the starting salary for a GT grad...in the 90's!

I'm in no way bragging, but my STARTING salary out of GT (mid 2000's) was pretty close to the Mid Career salaries of those schools. I'm sure quite a few GT grads on here can say the same. Only 2% of players end up playing in the NFL, and the average career is around 3 years. How are you going to support yourself for the next 40 years?

I linked to this earlier: http://www.businessinsider.com/coll...s-2015-8#9-georgia-institute-of-technology-42

GT is number 2 for schools that play FBS football. You're talking about a difference of 15-20K a year right out of college. Over a 5 year span, even if you don't invest the difference, that's almost $75-100K of lost wages comparatively. If you invest it in just Vanguard Index fund over that period...wow.

GT should put together a chart of how much SAs could lose by attending another school based on starting and mid career salaries. I'm pretty sure the difference in income opportunities and lost wages would shock SAs and their parents.
General comment that this post reminded me of... if folks want to tee up pro-GT Tweets, whether it's this subject or another, and you'd like us to use the @GTSwarm platform to get the message out, I am all for it. The legwork that'd be helpful is the screenshots, photos, Twitter message, etc. I'm by no means proficient and have limited time, and these are the types of numbers and stories I'd like to share. Send me a PM if you're into it.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Here's the bottom of the list:

School Starting Salary Mid-career Salary Conference
Louisville $47,000 $81,500 ACC
South Car $46,900 $84,700 SEC
Ole Miss $45,700 $85,300 SEC
Miss St $47,900 $89,100 SEC
Tenn $48,000 $89,500 SEC
Fla ST $47,000 $90,600 ACC
Kans ST $50,000 $90,600 Big12
Alabama $49,000 $90,900 SEC
Nebraska $48,700 $91,500 Big ten
Kentucky $48,800 $91,700 SEC
Arkansas $49,100 $92,300 SEC

Impressive boost by mid career. I guess that comes when they have enough experience to move from flipping the burgers to managing the franchise

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

The paradox of your suggestion is that the type of logic you suggest would appeal only to the type of SA who is considering GT in the first place. Even if you did convince the typical blue chip recruit who is looking at Clemson, OSU or Auburn that Tech is the better decision all things considered, he cannot undo the 12 years of academic negligence that would prevent him from even having a discussion with anyone on the GT staff.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The paradox of your suggestion is that the type of logic you suggest would appeal only to the type of SA who is considering GT in the first place. Even if you did convince the typical blue chip recruit who is looking at Clemson, OSU or Auburn that Tech is the better decision all things considered, he cannot undo the 12 years of academic negligence that would prevent him from even having a discussion with anyone on the GT staff.

You need to rethink your opinion that SAs who are being recruited by the factories would not qualify for GT. All you need to do is go to the recruiting forum and peruse the recruits we've offered for just a few minutes to realize how wrong you are. I doubt our staff and CPJ are wasting their time recruiting and offering kids who don't qualify for GT. GT recruits a good portion of the same kids the factories recruit. Also, there's a lot of "smart" SAs that go to those factories as well. For some reason or another, they don't choose GT...but that's why it's called recruiting.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if 6-3 301 Alabama OT Brandon Kennedy who is going to graduate transfer would consider coming to GT? Alabama looks like they're not going to approve him going to any SEC teams or any teams that will be on Alabama's schedule the next two seasons. It would be cool to get someone like Brandon Kennedy who CPJ could just plug in on the offensive line for the next two years.

https://rolltide.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3130

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I wonder if 6-3 301 Alabama OT Brandon Kennedy who is going to graduate transfer would consider coming to GT? Alabama looks like they're not going to approve him going to any SEC teams or any teams that will be on Alabama's schedule the next two seasons. It would be cool to get someone like Brandon Kennedy who CPJ could just plug in on the offensive line for the next two years.

I’ll take him. Promising grad transfer with two years to play. And we sorely need a backup for Cooper.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

He played at the same high school as Tevin Washington and Jamal Golden.

Alabama recruits the same OLs as GT does (just bigger). Guys who can move in space with great bend. They don't recruit guys who can't pull and get out into space.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You need to rethink your opinion that SAs who are being recruited by the factories would not qualify for GT. All you need to do is go to the recruiting forum and peruse the recruits we've offered for just a few minutes to realize how wrong you are. I doubt our staff and CPJ are wasting their time recruiting and offering kids who don't qualify for GT. GT recruits a good portion of the same kids the factories recruit. Also, there's a lot of "smart" SAs that go to those factories as well. For some reason or another, they don't choose GT...but that's why it's called recruiting.

I am under no illusion that there is not significant overlap in recruiting between GT and the factories. However, when you show a kid (any 18 year old kid) the data between "average starting salaries" or "average salaries 20 years after graduation, etc." they do not think it is relevant as most teenagers, however ridiculous it might seem, see themselves as well above average. So it's pretty easy for a Uga or UF or Texas or whoever to trot out a few success stories of their own and our sales pitch is pretty easily countered imo (remember, the audience is only 17 or 18 years old). The GT recruiting pitch would be more effective on 45 year old adults. Unfortunately, not many 4 and 5 star 45 year old recruits exist. For whatever reason, most of us outgrow our desire to run full speed into other human beings or have them do the same to us.;)