2018 Off Season Thread

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Good but until I see it I am from Missouri. "Show Me". I truly hope that a couple of them will work extra hard running, catching passes, lifting, running routes 100 times a day with Marshall throwing to make themselves into better receivers because I am here to tell you that every defensive coordinator we face is going to have one or both safeties up close and selling out to stop the pitch and the quarterback on option plays. We have to make them pay.

If you have paid any attention to the GT offense you should know that if a defense cheats safeties and CBs, you don't have to have an incredible receiver to make the pay. If he is in single coverage, the receiver will run an option route. If the CB runs deep with him he turns for the back shoulder throw. If the CB sticks tight, he will run deep. That is the reason yards per completion are so high.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It depends on exactly what you are asking. In the entire history of GT Football there have only been two receivers like Johnson and Thomas. Smelter was very good, but he wasn't Calvin Johnson good. We have several receivers who can be very good receivers. I don't know for sure, but I seriously doubt we have any along the lines of Johnson and Thomas. Not because the guys we have aren't good, but because those guys are NFL Hall of Fame good.

True, but the sight of Smelter bearing down on some luckless safety or outside linebacker that does not see him coming was a sight to behold. I will settle for guys giving 100% on blocking assignments, consistently beating one on one match ups and making the clutch catches. Is that too much to ask?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If you have paid any attention to the GT offense you should know that if a defense cheats safeties and CBs, you don't have to have an incredible receiver to make the pay. If he is in single coverage, the receiver will run an option route. If the CB runs deep with him he turns for the back shoulder throw. If the CB sticks tight, he will run deep. That is the reason yards per completion are so high.

No, it should not require an incredible receiver to make the play under those circumstances but we have not been doing it for a variety of reasons not all of which can be blamed on the receivers. Marshall had his troubles late in the year and it seemed that sometimes, for whatever reason, the receivers and Marshall were not on the same page. I would not claim to be an expert but a 37% or whatever it was completion rate is not going to scare anyone from selling out to stop the run.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
True, but the sight of Smelter bearing down on some luckless safety or outside linebacker that does not see him coming was a sight to behold. I will settle for guys giving 100% on blocking assignments, consistently beating one on one match ups and making the clutch catches. Is that too much to ask?

Jeune isn't there any more, but look at the WF run by TQM last year. Jeune blocked his guy to about the 10 yard line on a 50-60 yard run. Stewart also blocked his guy into the end zone on that play. Don't know if Stewart's guy would have made a play or not if he hadn't been blocked, but Stewart blocking him for 50-60 yards definitely helped. He hasn't done it in a game, but I have seen videos of Camp making acrobatic catches. There are guys there who have the ability to get it done. We just have to see if they do indeed get it done.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Jeune isn't there any more, but look at the WF run by TQM last year. Jeune blocked his guy to about the 10 yard line on a 50-60 yard run. Stewart also blocked his guy into the end zone on that play. Don't know if Stewart's guy would have made a play or not if he hadn't been blocked, but Stewart blocking him for 50-60 yards definitely helped. He hasn't done it in a game, but I have seen videos of Camp making acrobatic catches. There are guys there who have the ability to get it done. We just have to see if they do indeed get it done.

I loved Ricky and appreciate what Brad has done. Just want to see more big catches in critical situations with our guys beating one on one coverage. Something like that Virginia Tech game where both of them caught big TD catches pretty much down the middle. I still find it hard to believe Bud Foster let that happen but he was bound and determined to stick with shooting the gap and it cost him.

slugboy

Staff member
Regarding receivers, I did see a couple of drops last season. Mostly what I saw on incomplete passes (1) different read between the receiver and the QB, (2) receiver not full speed because he thought he wasn't the primary target, (3) pass wasn't close for some other reason I can't guess.
I don't know how much we rep passing plays in practice.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I like your confidence but do you really see a receiver that reminds you of say, Smelter or Thomas or even Waller? Someone that has safeties pointing to and yelling about over the top coverage? Hmm... me neither.

Not at WR. But I think the guys we have there are capable of making plays if the QB can deliver the ball to them. More to the point our ABs are legit receiving threats.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The Sporting News predicted GT will play UCLA in the Sun Bowl this season. If this is how it goes i figure GT will be 8-4 and UCLA will be 7-5. What do y'all think?

I often underestimate teams in the western U.S. This is possibly due to not watching as many of their games because of the time difference. I’d say we would have an advantage since Rosen is gone. I’m still remembering UCLA’s 34 point comeback against Texas last year...amazing. Another advantage is that I don’t think they see an offense like ours regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I often underestimate teams in the western U.S. This is possibly due to not watching as many of their games because of the time difference. I’d say we would have an advantage since Rosen is gone. I’m still remembering UCLA’s 34 point comeback against Texas last year...amazing. Another advantage is that I don’t think they see an offense like ours regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think UCLA wont be running Chip Kelly's offense like he ran at Oregon on all cylinders in 2018. I think they will be very average in 2018 but they will be a tough,tough team for anyone to play by 2020. I think GT would get the win over UCLA in the Sun Bowl.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Here's the ACC and other Power 5 Conference head football coaches on the hotseat according to College Football News. They have Paul Johnson as #3 on the ACC coaching hotseat and they say "There has always been a thought that the option offense can only take this program so far. With two losing seasons in the last three Paul Johnson probably can't survive three in four"

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/03/power-five-coach-hot-seat-rankings