2018 Off Season Thread

Animal02

Banned
Well he is the returning starter. Makes sense he’s atop the depth chart at the start of spring. However, that means nothing as far as the competition goes. The young guys will get their shots, even Tobias.
What coach does not put the best player in regardless of seniority etc.? This is just more nonsense from people that have little real knowledge of the game.
The one real benefit of knowing the likely starter during the off season is that the WRs should be more motivated to practice with the likely starter on their own time. I think that has been one factor that has hurt us this year.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Here's another great GT team of the Past. Here's the 8-1 Georgia Tech Golden Tornado coached by William Alexander

Wake Forest W 44-0
Oglethorpe W 55-0
Davidson W 66-0
@Vanderbilt W 44-0
@Pitt L 10-3
Centre W 24-0
Clemson W 7-0
Georgetown(KY) W 35-6
Auburn W 34-0

Here's the starting lineup

LE John Staton
LT Bill Fincher
LG Dummy Lebey
C Dad Amis
RG Oscar Davis
RT Albert Staton
RE Georgie Ratterman

QB Jack McDonough
RHB Red Barron
FB Judy Harlan
LHB Buck Flowers

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
The one I'll never forget: beating Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, and Clemson, but getting an 18-18 tie with Sewanee . Finished 6-0-1.

Another baffling season was 1981. We opened by beating #2 Alabama at Legion Field in Birmingham, then lost every other game to finish 1-10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Motivation definitely seems to be a problem, but it's not unique to CPJ teams. Remember UNC in 1990? TERRIBLE tie to an obviously inferior team.

UNC in 1990 was a result of our 3 best OTs being injured, not a lack of motivation. We drove into the red zone several times and did not have the OL push to score. The D only gave up 13 points. That's not a lack of motivation.

I agree with Bobby Ross. Motivation is overrated. It's Preparation that matters.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
UNC in 1990 was a result of our 3 best OTs being injured, not a lack of motivation. We drove into the red zone several times and did not have the OL push to score. The D only gave up 13 points. That's not a lack of motivation.

I agree with Bobby Ross. Motivation is overrated. It's Preparation that matters.
The defense also couldn't stop North Carolina tailback Natrone Means who ran for like 160 yards.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well he is the returning starter. Makes sense he’s atop the depth chart at the start of spring. However, that means nothing as far as the competition goes. The young guys will get their shots, even Tobias.
14 of 56 passing and several int in last 4 games. Offense not dominant. He has had a good shot and uga is a big opportunity. Hope it clicks big time at bds on Sat so its clear he is the leader - making plays

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Here's another Georgia Tech team of the Past. Here's the 6-3-1 1906 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Maryville College T 6-6
North Georgia College W 11-0
Chattanooga W 18-0
Sewanee L 16-0
Davidson W 4-0
Auburn W 11-0
Georgia W 17-0
Vanderbilt L 37-6
@Mercer W 61-0
Clemson L 10-0

The starting lineup for the 1906 Yellow Jackets Coached by John Heisman

LE Hightower
LT Monroe
LG Bell
C Luck
RG Henderson
RT McCarty
RE Hill

QB Chip Robert
LHB Davids
FB Sweet
RHB Means

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We doubled up yardage against UNC in 1990 and got in the red zone like 4 times with no points. The fumbled punt by Clay inside our 10 yard line gave them an easy TD. We were lucky to tie them but we did everything but get into the endzone that day.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
We doubled up yardage against UNC in 1990 and got in the red zone like 4 times with no points. The fumbled punt by Clay inside our 10 yard line gave them an easy TD. We were lucky to tie them but we did everything but get into the endzone that day.
GT would have won if they could have held Natrone Means to around 100 yards or less instead of 160. That game was one of the most frustrating GT games I've ever listened to! Tennessee tying Colorado 31-31 in the opening game of the 1990 season helped GT win the National Championship a lot. I think if GT would have slipped up and lost to Virginia that season they would have wound up playing SEC Champion 8-2-2 Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The percentage of completing 40+ yard passes on every throw is not going to be very high. Pass blocking under PJ has never been good. We need to get the ball out faster. What about run/pass options. Do we have anyone on the team that could line up as a TE. We need to throw in a new alignment wrinkle or two to disrupt defenses every now or then. No reason to hold anything back this Saturday.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We had over 400 yards of offense against Unc in 1990. They had 200+. The fumble inside the 10 was a gift and could have cost us the game. Means was good but he was all they had. I was there and didn't remember him as the reason we tied. It was our inability to score inside the 20 multiple times.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
14 of 56 passing and several int in last 4 games. Offense not dominant. He has had a good shot and uga is a big opportunity. Hope it clicks big time at bds on Sat so its clear he is the leader - making plays
I still think he can get a lot better in the off season. Most, if not all, of his issues are fixable. The only way to learn is by screwing up.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Motivation usually won’t win a game, but lack thereof can damn sure lose one.