2018 Off Season Thread

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well, CPJ has reminded us we are essentially a 6 win program, so I am guessing that next year we improve to 6-6!

Truthfully, unless the Institute decides to start subsidizing the GTAA I believe what Braine (and CPJ) have said is true. We have too many handicaps....lower revenues than all but one ACC school and every SEC school (fewer coaches, fewer recurring assts, lower salaries for the coaches we do have), curriculum limitations (35 majors vs over 100 at every school we are competing against), academics (higher SAT score requirements for entry, calculus in the course load), smaller fan base and stadium (not the glory the factories can offer)...we all know them....and I see no sign that the political Bud Peterson is going to start throwing money the GTAA's way......so I see no reason for GT to expect anything different.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I really think we had some leadership issues this year among the players. Last year Gamble and Thomas were leaders who kept us going even when we were down. This year's team lacked that somebody. I don't mean to be mean but loss of some of the secondary guys may be addition by subtraction. The AD job may not be about winning and losing but it most certainly is about interest vs. apathy. TS is sure to be thinking ahead to his next coach. The position has some negatives in limited recruiting, lack of money and small fan base but has some positives including P5 program and fan base with reasonable expectations. The time is near for a change.

Animal02

Banned
I really think we had some leadership issues this year among the players. Last year Gamble and Thomas were leaders who kept us going even when we were down. This year's team lacked that somebody. I don't mean to be mean but loss of some of the secondary guys may be addition by subtraction. The AD job may not be about winning and losing but it most certainly is about interest vs. apathy. TS is sure to be thinking ahead to his next coach. The position has some negatives in limited recruiting, lack of money and small fan base but has some positives including P5 program and fan base with reasonable expectations. The time is near for a change.
I think it is more than just motivating when the team was down.....there was a sense of something being off......maybe it will come out now that the season is over.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Football program is at the same spot the basketball program as far as a split fan base towards the end of the Hewitt regime. PW lost some critical assistant coaches after 2004 like PJ did with Monken and a couple others and it's now showing. In no way am I saying we need to fire PJ but Todd needs to make it very clear the staff needs to be shaken up on both sides of the ball. Mainly Sewek and Roof.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
My Way Too Early ACC Predictions for 2018

Atlantic Division

1)Clemson
2)FSU
3)Wake Forest
4)Louisville
5)NCSU
6)Boston College
7)Syracuse

Coastal Division

1)Miami
2)Virginia Tech
3)Georgia Tech
4)Virginia
5)Duke
6)North Carolina
7)Pitt

ACC Championship Game

Miami defeats Clemson

slugboy

Staff member
Another baffling season was 1981. We opened by beating #2 Alabama at Legion Field in Birmingham, then lost every other game to finish 1-10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I saw a betting slip that had a 72-point spread for the Alabama/GT game. The way it worked was that either team had to win by 72 to get a payoff. The list gave the spreads, and you had to pick 5, 6, or 7 winners against the point spread either way.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
My Way Too Early ACC Predictions for 2018

Atlantic Division

1)Clemson
2)FSU
3)Wake Forest
4)Louisville
5)NCSU
6)Boston College
7)Syracuse

Coastal Division

1)Miami
2)Virginia Tech
3)Georgia Tech
4)Virginia
5)Duke
6)North Carolina
7)Pitt

ACC Championship Game

Miami defeats Clemson
I agree with your Atflantic predictions, but I just feel another 2014 coming on if we can improve the STs. I'll take us at 1, Miami at 2, and VT at 3. All 3 have 2 losses in conference, but we beat VT and Miami for the tiebreaker.