2018 Off Season Thread

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I think there will be a massive competition for QB. Just because TM started this year, does not mean he will start next year. We will be better on the OL, which should lead to more time consuming drives. I really don't know about the D. My guess is we will be about the same, if not a little better. Thinking we will have some stability at the LV spot. May actually play a true 4-3.
I hope there is an open competition for the starting quarterback position in 2018 and Marshall isn't just given the job.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I would love to see us rebound, but was surprised to hear CPJ say, "We're disappointed in our year, we thought we were going to have a pretty good team, but ..."

I don't doubt CPJ's expertise. But 10 years into a program, it appears that he struggles to motivate a team. At this point, we should be beating the folks we are supposed to beat and we're not. How does the same team that played up Miami and VT show up at Duke?

Next year? 7-5.

I would love to see us rebound, but was surprised to hear CPJ say, "We're disappointed in our year, we thought we were going to have a pretty good team, but ..."

I don't doubt CPJ's expertise. But 10 years into a program, it appears that he struggles to motivate a team. At this point, we should be beating the folks we are supposed to beat and we're not. How does the same team that played up Miami and VT show up at Duke?

Next year? 7-5.
Motivation definitely seems to be a problem, but it's not unique to CPJ teams. Remember UNC in 1990? TERRIBLE tie to an obviously inferior team. I could go even further back than that, notably a pathetic FSU team in 1962 the week before the infamous "Remember Darwin Holt" Bama game. No intensity or motivation against FSU, leading to a tie, and incredible motivation the next week against Bama. I'm not sure any coach is totally responsible for motivation, or the blame for lack of it; the players SHOULD be able to dig deep and find it in themselves. I think what has been lacking this year is on-the-field leadership. Have we really seen any in any game this year?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Motivation definitely seems to be a problem, but it's not unique to CPJ teams. Remember UNC in 1990? TERRIBLE tie to an obviously inferior team. I could go even further back than that, notably a pathetic FSU team in 1962 the week before the infamous "Remember Darwin Holt" Bama game. No intensity or motivation against FSU, leading to a tie, and incredible motivation the next week against Bama. I'm not sure any coach is totally responsible for motivation, or the blame for lack of it; the players SHOULD be able to dig deep and find it in themselves. I think what has been lacking this year is on-the-field leadership. Have we really seen any in any game this year?
The 14-14 tie with a mediocre 5-4-1 Duke team in 1951 ranks up there with those.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
With they way the last couple of offseasons have gone I’m not sure what to think of Tech Offensively. Who knows who will transfer, which I️ hope is no one. I️ hope Quon works on passing this offseason and I️ hope Jay and Lucas continue to push him at QB, competition is healthy look at what UGA has done at QB with Eason going down. You never know what could happen. The biggest question for Tech next year will be WR. Jair, Jalen, and Steve should all be getting reps next year next to Brad.
Defensively next year should be no excuse. Secondary will be so loaded that it’s not even funny, Gray, Simmons, Kerr, Askew, Swilling, Oliver, Cole, Williams, Bonds. Also bringing in even more talent that will redshirt. Linebacker will be the deepest it’s been in awhile, 3 good ones that could all start with Mitchell, Jordan-Swilling, Alexander. Defensive Line we lose two senior DEs but Antwan Owens has already shown he can get it done. Overall Tech will be better in 2018 than 2017, and that’s what happens when you recruit well.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Man, I’d love to get a carbon copy of that 2014 OL. Those guys were awesome and I really think that they were a major reason for our success that year. The 2014 team rushed for 4,789 yards with 47 TDs. As a comparison, this year’s team has rushed for 3,193 yards with 30 TDs, which is still good, with at least one game to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They would be fairly close on a per game basis. But I agree with you about 2014. They were fun to watch.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Here's a great GT team of the past. Here's the 1927 8-1-1 GT team Coached by William Alexander that ended UGAG's dream of a National Championship.

VMI W 7-0
Tulane W 13-6
Alabama W 13-0
North Carolina W 13-0
@Notre Dame L 26-7
@Vanderbilt T 0-0
LSU W 23-0
Oglethorpe W 19-7
Auburn W 18-0
Georgia W 12-0

Here's the starting lineup of the 1927 team

LE Ed Crowley
LT Ken Thrash
LG Joe Westbrook
C Peter Pund
RG Raleigh Drennon
RT Papa Hood
RE Frank Waddey

QB Bob Durant
RHB Stumpy Thomason
FB Bob Randolph
LHB Warner Mizell

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think there may be a interesting contest to see who will be the starting quarterback to start the 2018 season against Alcorn State.;)(y)
Take all the time you want to do your research and collect your thoughts, then tell us the last time Johnson benched his starting QB. I will even give you Washington/Lee except that didn't last and was really alternate series kind of stuff. Johnson thinks his starting QB is like the president: once he sticks him in there it is for four years. Whoever is backup will be the Byerly/Jordan of 2018 and we will talk about what a wonderful teammate he was.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Take all the time you want to do your research and collect your thoughts, then tell us the last time Johnson benched his starting QB. I will even give you Washington/Lee except that didn't last and was really alternate series kind of stuff. Johnson thinks his starting QB is like the president: once he sticks him in there it is for four years. Whoever is backup will be the Byerly/Jordan of 2018 and we will talk about what a wonderful teammate he was.
I wish we would make a commitment to use two qb on a 90/10 split. Ideally the 10% guy would present a different look ( which in my opinion would be passing).

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I wish we would make a commitment to use two qb on a 90/10 split. Ideally the 10% guy would present a different look ( which in my opinion would be passing).
I do not understand the process he uses, and I'm sure there is one. But I have never quite gotten over his failure to get Byerly into the Orange Bowl against MSU for at least one series when we had the game locked. I didn't then and still don't, given there was never any indication of an injury. Just one series for a loyal backup?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I posted this in another thread, but the thing about the defense next year is that even though we lose a lot of experience in the secondary and at DE, we get ALL of our DTs back next year. We also get our starting LBs back along with BJS, Roof, and Henderson who should take a step up. At DE, we get back St. Amour who is our best all-around DE imo and Owens who has reallyg impressed me this year. It sucks what we lose in the secondary, but Gray is back next year (huge for the getting the D liined up) along with Jalen Johnson and Kerr who have both been playing well. I think that the D takes another step up next year and I hope that Roof decides to get a little more aggressive if he is retained.
“...if he’s retained.” Lol.