2017 Spring Practice

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Kirvonte Benson reminds me of the kind of athlete Bobby Ross and his staff would recruit. They recruited kids who were big enough and fast enough to play the position, then taught them to play the position. We did not win in 1990 by having top ranked recruiting classes. We won by having great coaching--starting with recruiting.

Benson only played 2 years of HS football, but he was a track athlete. He has the physical ability--he needs coaching. Gailey did a good job of identifying this type of athlete, he just didn't understand college offenses.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Kirvonte Benson reminds me of the kind of athlete Bobby Ross and his staff would recruit. They recruited kids who were big enough and fast enough to play the position, then taught them to play the position. We did not win in 1990 by having top ranked recruiting classes. We won by having great coaching--starting with recruiting.

Benson only played 2 years of HS football, but he was a track athlete. He has the physical ability--he needs coaching. Gailey did a good job of identifying this type of athlete, he just didn't understand college offenses.
Chan took Troy State to the Division 2 national championship running the no huddle Wishbone. To say that he didn't understand college offense is misinformed. We've always had to take lesser athletes and coach them up. Ross did it, Curry did it and so did O'leary. I believe that Johnson may have done the best job as any of the above because he's done it consistently. He's done it over a longer period than anyone since Dodd.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I definitely was one of the posters that was getting weepy when Marshall elected to transfer. The thought of losing a talent like that to transfer gave me some heartburn. Its good to hear that Benson could be a capable BB. He definitely has the body type. I've often wondered what our offense would look like with a Devonte Freeman-type back in that role and I'm anxious to see how Benson produces. Lord knows he'll be tough to see from the backfield and a load to take down when its time.
I hope he is as capable of a MM, but Jordan Mason and Jerry Howard as far as high school tape look very capable to come in and beat out Kirvote and Quaide if they aren't pushing themselves as much as they should. Kirvotnte could be a situational guy because of his speed but Quiade is gonna have a hard time beating the freshman because of talent alone.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I hope he is as capable of a MM, but Jordan Mason and Jerry Howard as far as high school tape look very capable to come in and beat out Kirvote and Quaide if they aren't pushing themselves as much as they should. Kirvotnte could be a situational guy because of his speed but Quiade is gonna have a hard time beating the freshman because of talent alone.
Imo Mason is going to be a monster, also no need to play him if kirvote or Quaide are doing well. Save him so he can start more years and not be a backup. Also Howard is starting of at A back I believe.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
"Jay Jones continues to do well, when he plays he makes big plays". Seems like JJ split some time with TQ with the 1's (reading in between the lines) because Johnson ran the 2's for the most part, so I'm assuming JJ might have ran some with the 2's as well. Glad to hear the 1st team offense is looking good.

ASURAMS07

Jolly Good Fellow
Sounds like Quiade got dinged up again...so Benson will get even more snaps and carries to prove he's ready. I'm so ready for next Friday night...

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'll go ahead and say it, with our OL healthy we should be perfectly fine with whoever our BB is and QB. We are honestly pretty deep on offense at every position minus the OL, and I think some of the second team guys on the OL are stepping their games up to create more depth. if our offense continues what they did last year and the D plays to the level of the last 4 games of last year with the turnovers (still need to get off the field faster) we could see a special year guys.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I questioned CPJ on the Mill/Marshal situation last year until I watched them play. Mill had better vision and got yards out of what appeared to be no yards allowed. Marshall has burst and speed but damn if he didn't have the vision to navigate through the junk and traffic Mills has.

I don't doubt there are politics there politics within every program, but if Kirvonte is doing his thing, he'll get his touches. Keep working hard and things will come together. I hope coach doesn't give Mills 30+ carries again.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I questioned CPJ on the Mill/Marshal situation last year until I watched them play. Mill had better vision and got yards out of what appeared to be no yards allowed. Marshall has burst and speed but damn if he didn't have the vision to navigate through the junk and traffic Mills has.

I don't doubt there are politics there politics within every program, but if Kirvonte is doing his thing, he'll get his touches. Keep working hard and things will come together. I hope coach doesn't give Mills 30+ carries again.
Idc if mills gets 30 carries, with 150 yards and 2 TD's. That's a recipe for winning TOP and winning the game. Just don't need it every game.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
PJ said the 1st team Off was looked good vs #1 DEf (and he said with little passing.) Exactly what I would expect with our OL being a strength and our DL being a weakness..Then the #2 Def beat the #2 Off.This is bit concerning unless there is little drop-off in #1 and #2 DLs which is possible.--and maybe even LBs also.

He said it was mostly "hit-um-in the mouth" play.The DEF did not impress him--missed tackles,getting blocked,etc
It looks like Lucas Johnson has slid to #3 as he didn't get mentioned in QB question.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
PJ said the 1st team Off was looked good vs #1 DEf (and he said with little passing.) Exactly what I would expect with our OL being a strength and our DL being a weakness..Then the #2 Def beat the #2 Off.This is bit concerning unless there is little drop-off in #1 and #2 DLs which is possible.--and maybe even LBs also.

He said it was mostly "hit-um-in the mouth" play.The DEF did not impress him--missed tackles,getting blocked,etc
It looks like Lucas Johnson has slid to #3 as he didn't get mentioned in QB question.

He also said that the #1D had the better of the #1O on Wednesday. The #2O is looking for a talent infusion on the OL this summer, fwiw. The #2DL has guys with playing time, not so much for the the #2OL, fwiw.

He did mention LJ as not getting much help today playing with the #2O, fwiw.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Johnson got mentioned as playing mostly with the 2's, I would agree he's number 3 right now but number 4 when MJ gets back.