2017 Spring Practice

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, I'm not sure the criticism of Mitchell is warranted. I thought he played really well as a Freshman. Last year he didn't stand out quite as much, but it was only year two. Theres a reason the factories tend to start more juniors and seniors when you get away from the skill positions...
Mitchell is a tough SOB. Old school MLB. Watch film don't believe anything you read on a vent or in the newspaper.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This spring some of the other guys have a fantastic chance to solidify some playing time. Scott is athletic enough to play Tackle. He started off as a DL. Some of the walk-on have a chance to maybe get some money! I think we have some left over.Marshall and Will can play mulitable positions if ever needed. This spring will be fun. Also it will be the best spring game in years. No non contact Jerseys.
This would be nice. We just need to keep anyone from getting hurt. signing 6 OL each year would help.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This spring some of the other guys have a fantastic chance to solidify some playing time. Scott is athletic enough to play Tackle. He started off as a DL. Some of the walk-on have a chance to maybe get some money! I think we have some left over.Marshall and Will can play mulitable positions if ever needed. This spring will be fun. Also it will be the best spring game in years. No non contact Jerseys.
Flea for poster of the year!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I notice coach almost always mentions Jay Jones as being in the mix at QB. I am excited to see him - if not at QB then perhaps somewhere else with his athleticism.
I've been picking him for months now to emerge as the starter. If I'm not mistaken he had high praise from CPJ for playing QB on the scout team, and it was said he can really throw the football.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Will we only see him when behind late and forced to throw. Not sure MJ is able to throw well enough in passing situations or can scramble for big plays like JT.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Will we only see him when behind late and forced to throw. Not sure MJ is able to throw well enough in passing situations or can scramble for big plays like JT.
Whoever wins the starting job will be the main QB. CPJ isn't one to switch out QB's based on situations unless it's a goal line Tim Byerley.

Jacket prime

Georgia Tech Fan

I'm not sure that anyone on our roster can scramble in the pocket quite like JT; he was fun to watch in that regard.

That said, the QB competition will be exciting. I think all these kids bring a solid set of tools to the table, and the offense will look a little different depending on who wins the starting job.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure that anyone on our roster can scramble in the pocket quite like JT; he was fun to watch in that regard.

First I think the world of JT but I'm not sure what you are calling a scramble is the same thing I would call a scramble. I think of it as a QB dropping back in the packet to pass and there is a blitz or a brake down in blocking and the QB has to keep moving to keep from getting sacked in order for the WR to get open. Maybe it's just me ( because I'm old ) but if the QB does roll out to pass and takes off running up field that would not be a scramble but an option to run and not pass . ( I may be wrong because I'm old and drink too much )

Mitchell,Gray,Freeman on defense
Benson,Bryan,Dolphus,Gantt on offense
Besides the usual suspects these are what I feel will have big years this season. Some on special teams but others on offense and defense.

Jacket prime

Georgia Tech Fan

That's a fair point. I was thinking of both classic scramble drills where the QB keeps the play alive when protection breaks down while still looking to pass (i.e. Georgia Southern 2014) and plays where the protection breaks down and the QB has to take off (i.e. Duke 2016).