2017 Offseason Thread

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
University of Virginia football hit with Level II NCAA violation after reporting 32 infractions
The NCAA imposed a Level II violation on Virginia’s football program after the school reported a violation of NCAA bylaws that involve impermissible contacts with recruits, the school announced Friday.

The violations involved assistant football coaches who, after a brief greeting, engaged with prospects to take a photo. The action was deemed contact beyond the standard greeting and a violation of an NCAA bylaw concerning off-campus contacts and the recruiting calendar.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
i
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

ESPN tracks a stat called "disrupted dropbacks," which is essentially all the times when a defense records a sack, interception, batted pass or pass defended. Divide that by the number of dropbacks that defense has faced, and you get an idea at how effective it is at rattling opposing QBs. Georgia Tech? It ranked dead last among Power 5 defenses last year. So, um, not real good.

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/99028/why-your-team-wont-win-the-acc-in-2017

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
There are about 90 out of 120 D 1 football programs that would be very happy to have our defense. Not many 9-4 or better teams out there from last season.

Go Jackets!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
There are about 90 out of 120 D 1 football programs that would be very happy to have our defense. Not many 9-4 or better teams out there from last season.

Go Jackets!
many team would like to have one of the worse D's in power 5 football? That doesn't make much sense. Maybe we should give the offense some credit for scoring with the efficiency that they scored with. Not many 9-4 teams or better because they don't have an offense like ours. There are teams with worse records, that if we had their D we would probably have had 2 more wins and maybe even 3. Pitt, Tar Heels, and maybe Miami. I just don't get why a team with a D that was statistically more efficient that ours would want our D.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
many team would like to have one of the worse D's in power 5 football? That doesn't make much sense. Maybe we should give the offense some credit for scoring with the efficiency that they scored with. Not many 9-4 teams or better because they don't have an offense like ours. There are teams with worse records, that if we had their D we would probably have had 2 more wins and maybe even 3. Pitt, Tar Heels, and maybe Miami. I just don't get why a team with a D that was statistically more efficient that ours would want our D.

UGA, Iowa, NC state, LSU, Texas a&m, Auburn, Michigan state, BYU, Wake Forest, ND, Indiana, UCLA.

These are just some teams we had a better record than, but they had better D's than us.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The runner was going low for the dropped ball, and the defender was trying to make a normal hit against a head up ball carrier.

It was an interesting option play. It looked like the QB could pass forward (right pitch), keep, or pitch left.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think the O lost the Miami game by giving them 2 TD's on turnovers. We showed UGA that our defense was better than theirs (check the score board)! We most likely would have beaten 10 of the other 11 teams you mentioned. Football is a team sport, our offense was no better or worse than our defense. We have a ways to go on both sides of the ball but we are ahead of most D1 programs.

Go Jackets!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think the O lost the Miami game by giving them 2 TD's on turnovers. We showed UGA that our defense was better than theirs (check the score board)! We most likely would have beaten 10 of the other 11 teams you mentioned. Football is a team sport, our offense was no better or worse than our defense. We have a ways to go on both sides of the ball but we are ahead of most D1 programs.

Go Jackets!
The reason I said Miami game is because when the offense started to make a push back in the game the D gave up a TD in like 4 plays, but like I said it was a maybe, so I'll give you that game being on the offense. The D still lost the other two games I mentioned for us. And just because we beat UGA doesn't mean our D is better Maybe We were that game, but that's just one game. We can't completely ignore the facts, and the facts are our D was bottom of the pack, and the teams I mentioned were better on D, it is literally a fact. I have no doubt we could have beat some of the teams I mentioned, but that still doesn't mean our D would be better than theirs, it could very easily mean our offense was just that much better. And our offense was better than our D. Offense was Ranked 21st in efficiency and the D was ranked 94th. How does the equate to neither being better than the other? I understand it's a team sport, but like I said these are facts not just opinions. The offense was WAY better than the D. Proof is in the pudding.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
For some reason Marshall leaving pisses me off 10x more than when Vad left
Both are guys who got passed up on the depth chart after starting (Vad would have been if he had stayed.) Both felt like they didn't fit the O. When guys are more invested in football than education, they make football decisions. It's what they think is best for them at the time. Then again, GT (the school) certainly isn't for everyone.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
The runner was going low for the dropped ball, and the defender was trying to make a normal hit against a head up ball carrier.

It was an interesting option play. It looked like the QB could pass forward (right pitch), keep, or pitch left.
That is NOT how you make a play on a ball carrier. He had zero intention to wrap him up. He caught the sense of blood and attacked.